Author Topic: primitives discuss cooking hamburger  (Read 9175 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: primitives discuss cooking hamburger
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2011, 04:11:56 PM »
If you're ever eaten at Delmonico's in Vegas

There's one of those in Colonie.  I've got to go sometime.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2011, 04:33:46 PM »
To my Husbands horror, I love my burgers and steaks charred LOL!

Again, this gets back to one of the points I made quite some time ago.

Those of us who like our food well-done and safe to eat keep our mouths shut when observing others of us who like their food underdone and dripping with grease.

After all, it's just good manners, courtesy.  To each his own, that sort of thing.

But those of us who like their food underdone and dripping with grease feel no compunction, no hesitation, no inhibition, about loudly criticizing, especially in public, those of us who like our food well-done and safe to eat.

Sometimes it's hard to be polite, to keep one's temper, under such conditions, but one manages.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2011, 04:47:56 PM »
My dad likes his food rare. As soon as you drop his steak on the grill he starts complaining that you're overcooking it. I like mine cooked very well-done. My dad calls it parched.

My wife and I stopped somewhere on vacation once that had a buffet. Everything looked great. Especially the meat. After we sat down and I cut into my meat I just sat there staring at the bloody mess. My wife asked what was wrong. I told her that I had seen animals injured worse than that get well so I was trying to decide whether to eat it or bandage it up and set it free. She gave me one of those looks so I quickly stabbed it with my fork. She asked, "what's the problem now?" I told her I thought I had saw it move just a little. She called me a smart ass. I get called that a lot. Never fine ass. Always smart ass.

Since then I'll still occasionally stop at a buffet, but now I never get the meat until I've checked it out.

Only a few months back I went to the local steak house and ordered a steak very well-done. As I was eating the manager came by. She told me that cooking it that way cooked out all of the flavor. I told her it tasted fine PLUS I didn't have to worry about it trying to get up and escape.

“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline thundley4

« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2011, 05:01:52 PM »
My dad likes his food rare. As soon as you drop his steak on the grill he starts complaining that you're overcooking it. I like mine cooked very well-done. My dad calls it parched.

My wife and I stopped somewhere on vacation once that had a buffet. Everything looked great. Especially the meat. After we sat down and I cut into my meat I just sat there staring at the bloody mess. My wife asked what was wrong. I told her that I had seen animals injured worse than that get well so I was trying to decide whether to eat it or bandage it up and set it free. She gave me one of those looks so I quickly stabbed it with my fork. She asked, "what's the problem now?" I told her I thought I had saw it move just a little. She called me a smart ass. I get called that a lot. Never fine ass. Always smart ass.

Since then I'll still occasionally stop at a buffet, but now I never get the meat until I've checked it out.

Only a few months back I went to the local steak house and ordered a steak very well-done. As I was eating the manager came by. She told me that cooking it that way cooked out all of the flavor. I told her it tasted fine PLUS I didn't have to worry about it trying to get up and escape.

:lmao:  :hi5:

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »

1.   :rofl: at your story!
2.  Better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.   :-)
3.  You should be able to get a steak anyway you want without fuss.  I mean hell, you ARE paying for it.   :thatsright:
4.  If I ever happen to be sitting at a table with you while eating a steak, I will prop the menu up as a screen so you don't see the bloody mess.  
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2011, 05:36:39 PM »
1.   :rofl: at your story!
2.  Better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.   :-)
3.  You should be able to get a steak anyway you want without fuss.  I mean hell, you ARE paying for it.   :thatsright:
4.  If I ever happen to be sitting at a table with you while eating a steak, I will prop the menu up as a screen so you don't see the bloody mess.  

You wouldn't have to worry about propping up the menu. It doesn't bother me seeing it on someone else's plate. I just don't like to see it on mine.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2011, 06:31:49 PM »
Again, this gets back to one of the points I made quite some time ago.

Those of us who like our food well-done and safe to eat keep our mouths shut when observing others of us who like their food underdone and dripping with grease.

After all, it's just good manners, courtesy.  To each his own, that sort of thing.

But those of us who like their food underdone and dripping with grease feel no compunction, no hesitation, no inhibition, about loudly criticizing, especially in public, those of us who like our food well-done and safe to eat.

Sometimes it's hard to be polite, to keep one's temper, under such conditions, but one manages.....

But coach, oh my dear coach...how do you find it in your heart to say no to this?

Now I grant you, this is more tending towards medium, but still, I'd have no problem whatsoever putting a huge dent into that bone-in cowboy ribeye piece of magnificence right there.

Add one of Emeril's BBQ Shrimp appetizers, wilted spinach salad, and sides of twice-baked potato and creamed spinach...pure heaven, I say.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2011, 04:10:42 AM »
But coach, oh my dear coach...how do you find it in your heart to say no to this?

Now I grant you, this is more tending towards medium, but still, I'd have no problem whatsoever putting a huge dent into that bone-in cowboy ribeye piece of magnificence right there.

Add one of Emeril's BBQ Shrimp appetizers, wilted spinach salad, and sides of twice-baked potato and creamed spinach...pure heaven, I say.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Oh--congrats on 17,000 posts, Sparky . . . one before you hit it. :hi5:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2011, 08:48:13 AM »

Like I have an aversion to egg whites? I also have an aversion to meat with fat on it. I would hardly eat any of that steak, even though it looks beautiful, because I'd trim all the fat off. It wouldn't go to waste though because my Husband would eat it.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Karin

« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2011, 09:37:34 AM »
Well!  I have never seen a nation so divided since the Civil War as to now with the meat and eggs.  Can we ever heal?  Will we throw each other into re-education camps?  And what about beans in the chili?  These are times that try mens' souls.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:40 AM »
Well!  I have never seen a nation so divided since the Civil War as to now with the meat and eggs.  Can we ever heal?  Will we throw each other into re-education camps?  And what about beans in the chili?  These are times that try mens' souls.

Excellent point Karen. Things are certainly Chili on Wall Street.  Anarchists intend to make Hamburg of the financial system.  Better stock up on Beano as it may soon be Chili sin Carne. :rotf:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2011, 06:33:46 PM »
Like I have an aversion to egg whites? I also have an aversion to meat with fat on it. I would hardly eat any of that steak, even though it looks beautiful, because I'd trim all the fat off. It wouldn't go to waste though because my Husband would eat it.

But dearest, there's not much fat per se on a ribeye, only in the "eye" itself, and if it's a high-quality piece of beef, a small amount at that. 

But the marbling, oh my, the marbling...
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2011, 10:51:30 PM »
But dearest, there's not much fat per se on a ribeye, only in the "eye" itself, and if it's a high-quality piece of beef, a small amount at that. 

But the marbling, oh my, the marbling...

I'm not crazy about marbling either LOL.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline JLO

« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2011, 11:49:08 PM »
I'm not crazy about marbling either LOL.

Me neither!  Beef, chicken and pork fat just grosses me out nowdays.  Seriously gags me - so I remove it.   

Ground beef doesn't even appeal.

My favorite place - Omaha Steaks - doesn't even entice me anymore.   I must be turning into a vegetarian --- aak! 

Help!  :whistling:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--