Author Topic: Arizona Dem: Federal Agencies Nixing Conventions Over State's Immigration Law  (Read 1241 times)

Offline thundley4

Two federal agencies have joined the "boycott Arizona" trend and nixed conferences there out of concern over the state's immigration law, a Democratic Arizona congresswoman said, calling the development "very troubling."

The cancellations by the Department of Education and the U.S. Border Patrol may have been more out of a desire to steer clear of controversy than outright protest of the law. But Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who has written to dozens of cities and groups in a campaign to persuade them to end their boycotts, said it was disturbing to learn that the federal government would withdraw from the state over the issue.

"It is very troubling when the federal government becomes involved in a boycott against our state," Giffords said in a written statement. "Although I personally disagree with the immigration law, it came about because of growing frustration over the federal government's unwillingness to secure the border. The federal government's participation in this boycott only adds to that frustration."

FoxNews.com is awaiting response from both agencies. Giffords' office said the cancellations were confirmed by the Arizona Hotel and Lodging Association.

According to Giffords, the Education Department canceled a convention set for October at a Tucson resort after the Mexican government said it would not send any representatives to the meeting. The department then moved the event to Minnesota.
Fox News

So now the federal government is boycotting Arizona over the immigration law? Seriously? 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Fox News

So now the federal government is boycotting Arizona over the immigration law? Seriously? 

Actually, the Border Patrol one was what caught my eye.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

This caught my eye.

According to Giffords, the Education Department canceled a convention set for October at a Tucson resort after the Mexican government said it would not send any representatives to the meeting. The department then moved the event to Minnesota.

Why the Hell should the Mexican government be involved with the US Department of Education?

Offline Lacarnut

What a douch bag Obama and his administration is turning out to be.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
This caught my eye.

Why the Hell should the Mexican government be involved with the US Department of Education?

Because the USDOE are the ones charged with educating the mexican people and the mexican government demands accountability....

Offline Boudicca

Giffords is supposedly my representative in Congress.  It's a sad, sad state of affairs she represents Mexicans and Mexico and kisses Zer0 and Botox's asses but doesn't care a rat's patootie what we, her constituents, overwhelmingly want, which is for our government to protect and defend US, the people who pay their salaries. :fuelfire:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Lacarnut

Giffords is supposedly my representative in Congress.  It's a sad, sad state of affairs she represents Mexicans and Mexico and kisses Zer0 and Botox's asses but doesn't care a rat's patootie what we, her constituents, overwhelmingly want, which is for our government to protect and defend US, the people who pay their salaries. :fuelfire:

You'll have a shot at voting her out of office.

Offline Boudicca

You'll have a shot at voting her out of office.
I can't wait!!

Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)