Author Topic: Do you sleep with your teeth in or out?  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Undies

Re: Do you sleep with your teeth in or out?
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 08:24:10 AM »
Teri,

The entire "denture adventure"  is a learning process.  You will come to terms with it all in due time.  Just do what feels right to you.

The "goo" is always a challenge.  Try using less.  Try the Poligrip in the green-labeled box.  Also try the powders, pads, sticky strips, and duct tape (<kidding!).

You will find what works best for you.

I don't sleep with my dentures or partials in my mouth.  I use to.  Now I find it more comfortable to go au naturale at night.  Nighttime is a good time to soak and clean.

Also, get some Listerine Total Zero mouthwash (purple color).  It's some awesome stuff and it helps get you rid of the leftover goo.  Plus your mouth will like it.

That is all for this edition of "Living Without The Teeth God Gave You".  Tune in next time.  Bye!  

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 08:32:39 AM »
Only the French have worse teeth than the Brits. So, since half my genes are French, I have a full upper and a partial lower. BTW Teri, have you tried Sea-Bond® instead of paste?

Dad got his when he was in his fifties. I got mine two years ago when I was 72, so I beat him by 20 years...
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Teri

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 08:42:37 AM »
Teri,

The entire "denture adventure"  is a learning process.  You will come to terms with it all in due time.  Just do what feels right to you.

The "goo" is always a challenge.  Try using less.  Try the Poligrip in the green-labeled box.  Also try the powders, pads, sticky strips, and duct tape (<kidding!).

You will find what works best for you.

I don't sleep with my dentures or partials in my mouth.  I use to.  Now I find it more comfortable to go au naturale at night.  Nighttime is a good time to soak and clean.

Also, get some Listerine Total Zero mouthwash (purple color).  It's some awesome stuff and it helps get you rid of the leftover goo.  Plus your mouth will like it.

That is all for this edition of "Living Without The Teeth God Gave You".  Tune in next time.  Bye!  

It has been quite an experience to say the least including the pain, the extractions process and getting used to the fact that I now have to get used to wearing them.

I did get the Polygrip you mentioned and I do have the purple Listerine already...I'll try that with the goo.  I have seen those adhesive strips you can use also, though I haven't tried them yet.  

What I have found is even though these upper dentures seem to be a good fit, if I don't use the goo...they will still move and irritate the gums if I try to eat with them.  I tried not using the goo for a day, but found out quickly...if you want to eat...you have to use the goo.

One day I used too much goo and when I tried to take out the denture...it hurt so bad I thought I was going to rip my gums out with them trying to pry them loose...  :rotf:

I also found out that a lot of people battle with bad teeth and gums and some to the point where it can become a life threatening experience if they don't get something done.  

My entire face swelled up right up into my eyes and this was around Thanksgiving.  I had a miserable Thanksgiving because of it too...  I was in so much pain that when I finally made it to the dentists office...I was begging for him to get them out of my head.  What a relief that was until I had to hide out in the house for a month waiting for my dentures because the dentist said it would be much better to wait for the gums to heal and shrink.  Well they did and slowly but surly, my speech got worse and upper lip started to look funny and I looked twenty years older without them...  I actually cried one day it was so upsetting. :rotf:

The day I went back to have my dentures put in for the first time and saw my face with a new smile...I actually broke down and cried right in front of the dentist and I guess he had an emotional moment because he reached over and just gave me a big hug....  It's so nice to have my smile back with perfect white teeth again...I can't tell you how happy I was.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:46:50 AM by Teri »

Offline Teri

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 08:53:20 AM »
Only the French have worse teeth than the Brits. So, since half my genes are French, I have a full upper and a partial lower. BTW Teri, have you tried Sea-Bond® instead of paste?

Dad got his when he was in his fifties. I got mine two years ago when I was 72, so I beat him by 20 years...

I'm English, Irish and Greek...now that's one hell of a combination eh?  :rotf:  It must be a genetic thing because my sister lost all of her teeth when she was in her late twenties.  At least I managed to keep mine until I reached 57 now.  I took care of my teeth too...that's the kicker and I still got this gum disease.  My parents spent thousands on braces when I was a kid too. 

I'll try that Sea Bond.  Are those the strips, because I saw those last time I went to the store to buy the goo, but wasn't sure about them.

Offline Undies

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 09:02:40 AM »
It has been quite an experience to say the least including the pain, the extractions process and getting used to the fact that I now have to get used to wearing them.

I've had mine for four years this very month.  I'll let you know when I get use to them.   :p

I did get the Polygrip you mentioned and I do have the purple Listerine already...I'll try that with the goo.  I have seen those adhesive strips you can use also, though I haven't tried them yet.

I have two teeth left on the bottom - my bicuspids.  My lower partials are designed around those teeth to act as anchors.  It's a good thing.  I have no problem wearing my lowers at all.  I do use the sticky strips in the lower.  The strips last all day.  

I use the goo up top.

What I have found is even though these upper dentures seem to be a good fit, if I don't use the goo...they will still move and irritate the gums if I try to eat with them.  I tried not using the goo for a day, but found out quickly...if you want to eat...you have to use the goo.

One day I used too much goo and when I tried to take out the denture...it hurt so bad I thought I was going to rip my gums out with them trying to pry them loose...  :rotf:

Don't rip them out.  "Rock" them out until you break the seal

I also found out that a lot of people battle with bad teeth and gums and some to the point where it can become a life threatening experience if they don't get something done.  

My entire face swelled up right up into my eyes and this was around Thanksgiving.  I had a miserable Thanksgiving because of it too...  I was in so much pain that when I finally made it to the dentists office...I was begging for him to get them out of my head.  What a relief that was until I had to hide out in the house for a month waiting for my dentures because the dentist said it would be much better to wait for the gums to heal and shrink.  Well they did and slowly but surly, my speech got worse and upper lip started to look funny and I looked twenty years older without them...  I actually cried one day it was so upsetting. :rotf:

The day I went back to have my dentures put in for the first time and saw my face with a new smile...I actually broke down and cried right in front of the dentist and I guess he had an emotional moment because he reached over and just gave me a big hug....  It's so nice to have my smile back with perfect white teeth again...I can't tell you how happy I was.

Mine got "installed" within an hour after the extractions.  My dentist said that's the best way.  It is the only experience I've had, so I can't argue.  

I remember telling the room I felt like I had a 1958 Buick in my mouth.  

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 09:04:38 AM »
<=== still has the Mk.1 choppers.  Ergo, I sleep with them racked internally.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Teri

• Banned
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 09:10:08 AM »
I've had mine for four years this very month.  I'll let you know when I get use to them.   :p

I have two teeth left on the bottom - my bicuspids.  My lower partials are designed around those teeth to act as anchors.  It's a good thing.  I have no problem wearing my lowers at all.  I do use the sticky strips in the lower.  The strips last all day.  

I use the goo up top.

Don't rip them out.  "Rock" them out until you break the seal

Mine got "installed" within an hour after the extractions.  My dentist said that's the best way.  It is the only experience I've had, so I can't argue.  

I remember telling the room I felt like I had a 1958 Buick in my mouth.  

I'm going to have lowers taken out too.  My dentist suggested leaving in those two bottom teeth that you have.  I was against it because of the pain and problems I've had with my own teeth.  I don't know, I might let him leave those in...I haven't decided yet about that.

The entire process with my upper denture including xrays, extractions and all cost me about $4,000.00.  We didn't have the dental insurance yet because the hub was in a fairly new position at his work and the insurance hadn't kicked in yet.  I couldn't wait, so I had to pay cash for them.  The bottoms I'll have the hubs insurance to cover most of it...thank goodness.

Offline Undies

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »
I'm going to have lowers taken out too.  My dentist suggested leaving in those two bottom teeth that you have.  I was against it because of the pain and problems I've had with my own teeth.  I don't know, I might let him leave those in...I haven't decided yet about that.

The entire process with my upper denture including xrays, extractions and all cost me about $4,000.00.  We didn't have the dental insurance yet because the hub was in a fairly new position at his work and the insurance hadn't kicked in yet.  I couldn't wait, so I had to pay cash for them.  The bottoms I'll have the hubs insurance to cover most of it...thank goodness.

Leave the bicuspids.  You WILL NOT be sorry.  Having your lowers attached to permanent teeth is a blessing.

Most folks have 10x more trouble with their full lowers than with their uppers.  Their lowers slip and slid all over the place.  You won't have their problems if you have the "anchors".

(I don't know what it is about the bicuspids.  Mine remained healthy even though I was losing my other teeth quite rapidly.  It is well worth it to try to save them for your sake.)  

Offline Teri

• Banned
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 09:35:14 AM »
Leave the bicuspids.  You WILL NOT be sorry.  Having your lowers attached to permanent teeth is a blessing.

Most folks have 10x more trouble with their full lowers than with their uppers.  Their lowers slip and slid all over the place.  You won't have their problems if you have the "anchors".

(I don't know what it is about the bicuspids.  Mine remained healthy even though I was losing my other teeth quite rapidly.  It is well worth it to try to save them for your sake.)  

You may have convinced me because everyone has told me the same thing...  I was just paranoid about leaving any of my natural teeth in because of the pain I've had with them.  I'll be going back in a short while and talk to the dentist some more about it.  I have the best dentist in the world and I'm so thankful I do because I had a bad one once that scared the hell out of me and hurt me really bad.  That may have been the reason that my gums went bad because of that phobia, I went for a long time without going back and having my teeth cleaned professionally, just regular brushing and flossing at home didn't do it.

Offline Undies

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
You may have convinced me because everyone has told me the same thing...  I was just paranoid about leaving any of my natural teeth in because of the pain I've had with them.  I'll be going back in a short while and talk to the dentist some more about it.  I have the best dentist in the world and I'm so thankful I do because I had a bad one once that scared the hell out of me and hurt me really bad.  That may have been the reason that my gums went bad because of that phobia, I went for a long time without going back and having my teeth cleaned professionally, just regular brushing and flossing at home didn't do it.

I took pretty good care of my teeth and got gum disease anyway.  There wasn't anything to do to save them.

Today, I take GREAT care of my two teeth left -- the ones immune to disease.  When I went in for my cleaning a couple of weeks ago, there was no tartar on them to scrape off.  Those two are my best friends.  :-)

P.S.  I had a MASSIVE-MASSIVE "he's dead" heart attack six months after having my teeth removed.  No connection, I'm sure.  :p
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:57:25 AM by Undies »

Offline Teri

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
I took pretty good care of my teeth and got gum disease anyway.  There wasn't anything to do to save them.

Today, I take GREAT care of my two teeth left -- the ones immune to disease.  When I went in for my cleaning a couple of weeks ago, there was no tartar on them to scrape off.  Those two are my best friends.  :-)

:rotf:

Of all the crap our bodies have that can give us pain, I once thought it was the back and spine until I had this problem with me teeth...  I was in such excruciating pain that I tried to get drunk to ease it and all that did was make me drunk and still in pain.  Man...I never want to feel that kind of pain ever again.  :rotf:

Offline Teri

• Banned
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »

P.S.  I had a MASSIVE-MASSIVE "he's dead" heart attack six months after having my teeth removed.  No connection, I'm sure.  :p

This is one of the things that really worried me about my teeth...  My dentist warned me that the infection could infiltrate major organs like the heart and brain and cause major problems.  Now that really scare the hell out of me. :o

Offline dixierose

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »
I guess I'm lucky. I do not have to use any adhesive for my uppers. I had my teeth pulled in December (right before Christmas) due to the insurance maximum. I then had my dentures made in January. There were a few plus sides to doing it that way.

1 - I maxed out my benefits at the end of the year when they pulled the teeth. Waiting until January for the dentures allowed my benefits to renew.

2 - Waiting 6 weeks after my teeth were pulled allowed the swelling in my gums to go all the way down; therefore, the mold was very accurate. That's why I don't need adhesive.

3 - Not having any teeth during Christmas guaranteed I wouldn't gain weight :-)
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Teri

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 10:24:16 AM »
I guess I'm lucky. I do not have to use any adhesive for my uppers. I had my teeth pulled in December (right before Christmas) due to the insurance maximum. I then had my dentures made in January. There were a few plus sides to doing it that way.

1 - I maxed out my benefits at the end of the year when they pulled the teeth. Waiting until January for the dentures allowed my benefits to renew.

2 - Waiting 6 weeks after my teeth were pulled allowed the swelling in my gums to go all the way down; therefore, the mold was very accurate. That's why I don't need adhesive.

3 - Not having any teeth during Christmas guaranteed I wouldn't gain weight :-)

I think mine would have fit better if I'd have waited a little longer, but I couldn't bear going through the Holidays without them being that we entertain a lot of folks...that would have been horrifying to say the least for me.  So I begged the dentist and he said that they'd healed up enough to go ahead with the denture fitting. 

Hope you like your smile as well as I do mine.  Hubby laughs at me because he said he hasn't seen me smile this much in years.  :rofl:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 12:28:39 PM »
In this vein..........

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6NcsXJQz0[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:34:46 PM by CG6468 »
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Teri

• Banned
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 01:15:06 PM »
In this vein..........

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6NcsXJQz0[/youtube]

I remember that song as kid, but I can't remember who sang it then...  This is the one I was singin right before Christmas...  :rotf:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnpkYhIsitA[/youtube]

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 08:23:11 PM »
Being SLIGHTLY younger than Eupher,  :-) I still have most of my teeth. I chew ice AND I grind my teeth at night, so I've cracked/ broken a few teeth. There will come a day when I am going to need false teeth, but I hope that's a ways off.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 08:37:10 PM »
Being SLIGHTLY younger than Eupher,  :-) I still have most of my teeth. I chew ice AND I grind my teeth at night, so I've cracked/ broken a few teeth. There will come a day when I am going to need false teeth, but I hope that's a ways off.

Don't worry, Rob. You'll live to piss on my grave. With false teeth, of course.  :rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 09:02:38 PM »
Don't worry, Rob. You'll live to piss on my grave. With false teeth, of course.  :rotf:

I doubt that. Besides, I wouldn't do that!!   :-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »
I doubt that. Besides, I wouldn't do that!!   :-)

Okay, okay. You'll piss on my grave WITHOUT the false teeth. I got it..... :cheersmate:

Offline Undies

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »
Okay, okay. You'll piss on my grave WITHOUT the false teeth. I got it..... :cheersmate:

I'll squat-n-squirt!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 12:11:57 PM »

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 04:20:16 PM »
:-)

I do not understand why insurance and the medicinal comunity do not recognise the problems that the teeth and gums can do to the body. 

A dentist is a Doctor trained in a speciality of the mouth, he can pick up cancer of the mouth and any other diseases we get  in that area.  They know what diseases of the mouth cause problems in the rest of the body.

Many problems with the body stem from the mouth, abscesses and infections travel into the the body to cause internal organs problems.

Strange I was tuned into this by reading about of all people Edger Casey, a young woman hundreds of miles away had gone crazy, her family asked for help.   Somehow this man figured out the woman had a couple impacted wisdom teeth that had abscessed.   The family took her to a Dentist and pulled the teeth--- in a day she came around as normal.

Is this possible ?   I say yes, A dry socket, abscess can make people bang their heads on the walls.

We awoke one night as our little dog what screaming in pain, next Am the Vet said he had a few abscesses and needed All his teeth removed.  Cost was $1200.00 bucks but worth it.   We had another 4 years with him, worth the cost.

When one starts to have abscesses and bad gums, time to have them removed before the poison goes into the rest of the body.     

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »
Shit, I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this............ :panic:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline samspade

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013, 04:58:39 AM »
My preference is to keep them in all the time.  I dislike paste or gels.  I would tell you how many years I have wore them but you would never believe me.