Author Topic: DUmmies Discuss Fattitude - Agree Their Lard Is Not Their Fault  (Read 3208 times)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: DUmmies Discuss Fattitude - Agree Their Lard Is Not Their Fault
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »

The guy has to brace himself against her to keep from being sucked into the maw.

Naw. The conveyor control room is right at the other end of the building to the hopper.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »
Nope. Biochemical calculation doesn't care about carbohydrates, fats, proteins, or Big Macs.

Creation of more and more fat cells is a function of calories in vs. calories out, and nothing else.

Some types of food force you to consume more calories in order to feel satisfied, and some
foods are so pleasant to eat they persuade you to consume more calories.

Medicine that causes lethargic behavior slows metabolism, so may reduce calories burned in normal
life, requiring special effort to get enough exercise or a reduction in caloric intake.

But it still boils down to simply calories in vs. calories out, and a biochemist can demonstrate that
mathematically.

Then why do diabetics need a special diet? To a certain extent it is calories in calories out but different foods convert to fuel more quickly than others. High glycemic foods convert to glucose (sugar) more quickly, causing blood sugar to spike. Insulin (which is only present when there's too much glucose in the body) gets rid of excess sugar. It does this by causing the cells to absorb the excess. Unfortunately, it also causes extra fatty acids to be stored in fat cells. The slower digestion, the slower food is converted to energy so it's released at a steadier pace rather than all at once. Some people's bodies are more efficient than others.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 12:09:57 PM »
Then why do diabetics need a special diet? To a certain extent it is calories in calories out but different foods convert to fuel more quickly than others. High glycemic foods convert to glucose (sugar) more quickly, causing blood sugar to spike. Insulin (which is only present when there's too much glucose in the body) gets rid of excess sugar. It does this by causing the cells to absorb the excess. Unfortunately, it also causes extra fatty acids to be stored in fat cells. The slower digestion, the slower food is converted to energy so it's released at a steadier pace rather than all at once. Some people's bodies are more efficient than others.

Cindie
I'm not a nutritionist and know squat about diabetes, but I would chalk all that up to metabolic effects of the disease.