Author Topic: windfall profiteering primitives discuss experiences on eBay  (Read 410 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
windfall profiteering primitives discuss experiences on eBay
« on: August 12, 2009, 01:36:23 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=403x2958

Oh my.

The wired gassy primitive started this thread about six weeks ago, about the time he moved to the farmette in Wisconsin for the summer:

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jul-02-09 12:22 AM
Original message

first week back on eBay report

Okay, here are the numbers.

I posted 17 items. Ten of them sold, for gross receipts of $622. I learned that my old usual niche still sells very well. But some others that generally would have sold well did not get any bids.

Example: I listed a vintage tablecloth that is just the most desireable one could imagine. It has cherries, and jadeite color in it, and is in perfect condition and a nice table size. A dealer specializing in vintage kitchen told me (last year) it would bring $135 on eBay. It got NO BIDS at $39.

I only had one buy it now purchase. I didn't use that feature on everything.

Bottom line: I guess it is still worth it to work eBay, if you can refine a niche and find the stock to sell.

Vinca  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jul-02-09 09:09 AM
Response to Original message

1. That's good to hear. I'm in stockpiling mode and only have 1 buy-it-now on ebay.

Wish I had the enthusiasm I used to have about ebay. When it first started I'd list 10 items a day every day and almost everything would sell. Those were the days . . . 

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jul-02-09 06:34 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. it was a money tree, for sure

I used to sell 75 percent, and at astonishing prices.

jillan  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jul-02-09 08:12 PM

3. That's fantastic!

I've been doing good with clothing - found a couple of great places to get amazing deals.

Question, since you seem to deal in collectibles - I have a vintage dictating machine from the 50/60's. It seems to be in good condition ...how do I found out what it's worth and how do I find out where the best place is to market it?
(Ok - that's 2 questions)

zabet  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jul-14-09 03:40 PM

4. Ebay was a goldmine for me...once upon a time. I still sell but, to command top dollar (I deal in antique glassware) the piece has to be sorta hard to find and in top-notch condition.

pipoman  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jul-16-09 07:01 AM
Response to Reply #4

5. I don't sell much anymore, just no time, but I do shop and buy bargains on ebay.

What I have been noticing is, as you say, that rare individual pieces in great condition have maintained values pretty well while more common individual pieces either sell really cheap or are no-sales.

I have also noticed that the sellers who are making medium sized lots out of like item common pieces seem to be able to sell the lots better than individual common items. For instance I buy some Watt apple pattern pottery. A pair of hard to find pattern salt and peppers sold for $325 which is as high as ever for that pattern, OTOH individual mixing bowls are usually no sales now. One seller just sold a set of 4 mixing bowls (one was chipped) for $130, the same price I would have expected from 2007 (as a set or individual) and she had 4 or 5 bidders on them. At any given time a person could put that set of bowls together from different sellers for the same amount or maybe a little less.

DollyM  (457 posts)        Fri Aug-07-09 01:23 AM

6. non paying bidders are on the rise . . . I used to get a non paying bidder every once in a blue moon. Last week, I had two dolls up, both sold, both had non paying winners. One was even sniped in the last 10 seconds. Why snipe something when you are going to turn around and not pay for it? The other gave me this ridiculous story about how her 10 year old neice got on her account which was actually her grandmother's account who died two weeks ago, and she didn't even know about it because she was out of town at her father's funeral. Are you following me so far?

Yeah, kind of the same reaction I had too. I went back and looked at her bidding history and apparently her dead grandmother how bought about $1000.00 in stuff in the last four weeks as well as several items after she was supposed to be dead, but she was a good dead grandma and at least paid for items. The last item that was bought and paid for was like the day before she emailed me and gave this story. I emailed her back and pointed out all the buying, paying and feedback leaving her dead grandmother had been doing.

Of course, she knew she was busted and didn't respond. Just really pisses me off when someone makes up a story like that, two dead relatives in two weeks . . . especially when I just buried my own son a couple of months ago. Of course, we can't leave a negative anymore so both of these deadbeat bidders will go on their merry way.

I hate ebay! They just keep screwing sellers more every day with all their changes and rules. They forget they wouldn't be here if it weren't for sellers.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: windfall profiteering primitives discuss experiences on eBay
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:54:43 PM »
Uhhhhh ..... how much tax was paid on these sold items?  Wouldn't this be considered taxable under either income or capital gain?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 02:15:52 PM »
Uhhhhh ..... how much tax was paid on these sold items?  Wouldn't this be considered taxable under either income or capital gain?

KC

If you actually are operating as a business rather than a hobby, then yes, both State sales and State and Federal income taxes would be due...not really capital gains since it sounds like inventory rather true investment goods, but in the unlikely event one of them was above the first two tax brackets, it would be worth trying that if they'd held the asset over a year.

Fortunately for them, the IRS almost never screws with such small fish...though some State Departments of Revenue are a lot more desperate and will pursue very minimal cases for their 'Object lesson' value. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:36:20 PM »
DollyM  (457 posts)        Fri Aug-07-09 01:23 AM

I hate ebay the government! They just keep screwing sellers company owners more every day with all their changes and rules. They forget they wouldn't be here if it weren't for sellers company owners.

See DUmmie how nicely that works?

KC

Oh the irony of the DUmp idiots.
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen