Author Topic: racist babbling sister primitive afflicted with bad back  (Read 424 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
racist babbling sister primitive afflicted with bad back
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:10:46 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6282145

Well, such things happen when one spends all day in front of the computer and television, the floor beneath one aching and groaning and cracking from the sheer weight it holds, and one's buttocks hanging down from both sides of the chair.

babylonsister  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-12-09 02:01 AM
Original message

Have you ever had a 'bad' back? 

Pulled something, for no reason? Don't know what, when, whatever?

And it's really awful?

I do.

Rather than doing something about her back, I suspect the racist babbling sister primitive, who collects "darky" and "pickaninny" toys, wants some of those controlled substances from a physician.  She's a primitive, after all.

Xzanther (32 posts)      Wed Aug-12-09 02:02 AM
Response to Original message

1. Yeah

I actually have.. and I don't have Health Care.. I'm a student and can't afford it.. But apparently no one cares.

Yep, you're right.  franksolich doesn't care.

TexasObserver (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-12-09 02:02 AM

2. Yes. Probably disk degeneration.

There are some good stretching exercises which focus on stretching the hamstrings, quads, and abs which can help straighten out your back. If your big thigh muscles get overworked and too tight, they can cause your back to hurt by pulling the back joints closer together in the small of the back. By stretching those muscles, you can alleviate that pain. However, you have to be careful to do so without stressing the lower back at all.

Steroids are good for a short term, quick solution. There's a regimen of about 20 pills you take in four days, I think it is.

Anti inflammatories bring some relief, too.

SemiCharmedQuark  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-12-09 02:04 AM

3. Yep...probably one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. I couldn't even stand up straight.

Obviously, you should get to the doctor, if you can. But I find that lying on a straight surface with my feet up on a chair seat helps a lot.

SemiCharmedQuark  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-12-09 02:19 AM
Response to Reply #5

13. lol, I don't have insurance, so I don't have a doctor. 

I just suffered through it, spent a lot of time on my back. I was better in a couple of weeks.

babylonsister  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-12-09 02:26 AM
Response to Reply #3

14. I don't know what a doc could do. But I'm taking your advice and putting my feet up!

Blue Diadem (1000+ posts)      Wed Aug-12-09 08:29 AM
Response to Reply #3

46. That helped relieve some of the pain for me too.

I remember laying on my Mom's living room floor with my feet up on one of her chairs while she visited with my husband and the kids. My family thought I was nuts but after the car ride to get to her house, I just couldn't take the pain anymore.

SeattleGirl  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-12-09 02:05 AM

4. More than I like.

Fell down some stairs on my backside years ago, and have had back problems since then. It usually manifests as sciatica, but one time, it got so bad, I literally could not stand up. Had to crawl around my apartment. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

The maudlin waif primitive:

Mythsaje  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-12-09 02:11 AM

7. I used to think the shots you see on TV and in movies where someone's back locks up and they have to crawl around on the floor weren't for real.

Until it happened to me.

Not a joke. Really, really painful. Disabling. And a bit humiliating.

The watery primitive, still trying to impeach Richard Cheney:

H2O Man  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-12-09 05:00 AM

30. Yes.

Auto "accident." Hit by a jerk on a cell phone, at 55 mph. It changed everything.

The mountain man primitive who, like all men, nightly pitches his tent one day's march closer to the mausoleum:

ThomWV  (1000+ posts)      Wed Aug-12-09 08:02 AM

43. Since I was 8 years old - sometimes its so bad I can not walk

And you never know what might trigger it but there are things to avoid. Let me ramble for a bit and see how much I can touch on for you.

I know precisely where mine began. I was 8 years old and I bent over and was pulling a clump of wild onions out of the ground. Something tore in my lower spine and it hurt me horribly. It was not treated. It was the beginning and I've had the problem ever since.

Normally it is twisting motions that set off an episode of the pain for me. When I say pain I mean to a level that I can not walk or get into our out of a chair or bed without assistance; I can not drive a car and certainly can't ride a motorcycle.

Otherwise I am in very good health, gets lots of strenuous exercise, and not at all overweight so I don't have some common contribution factors. Times to be careful are when loading or stacking things. Of course any time you are bending over from the hips you open up the chance to aggravate a bad back.

Oh, shoes! If you wear shoes or boots that have hard heels its almost like shooting little shock waves up your legs and into your back and that seems to aggravate the problem a good bit too. Weather has no effect, hot cold, wet dry, doesn't make any difference.

I wish there was some magic thing I could tell you to make it not happen again, but there isn't. If it gets very bad go see a doctor. They can give you short term prescriptions for pain relievers that help, or at least will help you get moving again. Be careful with that shit though. All it takes is seeing one friend become addicted to pain medication and you'll know what I mean - its horrible.

Oh, one thing I have found that does help - or at least it works for me. Try to walk, and no matter how slowly you have to do it try to walk with a normal step - don't allow yourself to limp or otherwise skew your normal gait to relieve the pain. This seems to help a lot but it takes days.

How long does it last? From days to weeks. It really depends on how badly you hurt it from one event to the next. If you're lucky two or three days and its gone, unfortunately it can last weeks just as easily. Mine is often accompanied by terrible pain in my leg, as bad as a broken leg, and what I've noticed over the years is that the higher in my leg the pain the longer the episode is going to last.

What the racist babbling sister primitive needs to do is get away from the computer, get on a diet and exercise, so as to lose circa 150 pounds.  That way, she won't have so much fat in front of her body pulling at the spinal column, like a 50-pound weight bending a fishing-rod.

But since franksolich's cure doesn't involve pills, the racist babbling sister primitive isn't going to go for it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

Re: racist babbling sister primitive afflicted with bad back
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:27:53 AM »
when Thom started "Let me ramble for a bit"  I gave it up.  Is he the same guy who, at age 12, pined away for universal health care?  Or was that someone else?  I don't need to hear about an 8 year old mountain man. 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:41:29 AM »
H2O Man  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-12-09 05:00 AM

30. Yes.

Auto "accident." Hit by a jerk on a cell phone, at 55 mph. It changed everything.

So that's why you're a MIHOP'er and think Karl Rove is hiding behind every bush.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline tuolumnejim

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 10:43:29 AM »
SemiCharmedQuark  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-12-09 02:19 AM
Response to Reply #5

13. lol, I don't have insurance, so I don't have a doctor. 

I just suffered through it, spent a lot of time on my back. I was better in a couple of weeks.
I thought that the houses of ill repute in Nevada had all kinds of health insurance.  :-)
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »
when Thom started "Let me ramble for a bit"  I gave it up.  Is he the same guy who, at age 12, pined away for universal health care?  Or was that someone else?  I don't need to hear about an 8 year old mountain man.

No, the piner was DUmmy rurallib, who claims to have had people telling him to "be patient",
in his wait for socialized medicine, since his twelfth birthday. Apparently he made the
butterball DUmmy Li'l Ava look like a carefree youth by comparison.

I have the impression that DUmmies would be much less agitated about socialized medicine
if only a law were passed that gave them easy access to controlled substances.