Author Topic: Saturday 02-09  (Read 4170 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Saturday 02-09
« on: February 09, 2008, 09:06:59 AM »
It's Saturday, and I just got back from the big city, sicker than a dog.

I think I'm going to slumber all through this weekend.

I had rushed to the big city earlier this morning--like, real early--because I was impatient to pick up a two-volume book that John Matrix had suggested to me, and happily I had learned two days ago that a library in this area did in fact have it.

Primitive Cultures, by Sir Edward Tylor (died 1917).

The librarian, who knows me, commented, "You must be really sick; you should be in bed instead of here, you're as white as a ghost."

I admitted I was under the weather, but also that I had rushed to this library to get this book, lest someone else check it out before I could get it.

She looked at me oddly, and got the books.

Primitive Cultures was first published in 1871; what the library had was an 1882 version of it.

The two volumes are so old they don't even have that UPC-sticker on them, and had to be manually checked out.

According to the old-fashioned tag on the inside of the front cover, the last time these two volumes were due back to the library was.....07-18-06.

The "06" was not 2006.

Topic of the Day: what was the last book you recall checking out at a library?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 09:09:14 AM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

Re: Saturday 02-09
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 09:26:08 AM »
I was asleep by 8:30 last night.  I was exhausted.  I'm still a little under the weather and on top of that I was extra busy at work the last two days playing catch up.

My dad's coming over this afternoon and we're doing my taxes.  Yea!  I just gotta find where I put my charity donation stuff. 

TOTD:  The last time I checked out a book at the library was years ago when I was doing a report on genetic modified foods for a biology class.  I love books and I love owning them.  I have tons of books, and I need to invest in a few more bookcases. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 09:40:15 AM »
Here at work until noon est.

TOTD:Have never checked a book out of a library except for a school one back in that day.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:05:28 AM »
i'm sore from hitting the gym yesterday and a bit hungover from wine and guitar hero 3 with the neighbors (i actually made it thru Foghat's Slow Ride... but only once) .. this morning the ladies are forcing me back to the gym for more treadmill and squats. i hate them.

TOTD: they are building a brand new library in our little town.. and we will use it a lot I'm sure. the last time we were at a library? probably a couple of months ago for the 8 year old to find American Girl books..

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 10:07:35 AM »
i'm sore from hitting the gym yesterday and a bit hungover from wine and guitar hero 3 with the neighbors (i actually made it thru Foghat's Slow Ride... but only once) .. this morning the ladies are forcing me back to the gym for more treadmill and squats. i hate them.

TOTD: they are building a brand new library in our little town.. and we will use it a lot I'm sure. the last time we were at a library? probably a couple of months ago for the 8 year old to find American Girl books..

Lauri, I loved the American Girl books when I was younger.  There were only 3 girls then, Kristen, Samantha and Molly.  :)  I always wanted a doll, but my mom refused.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:35:39 AM »
Bah.  Forgot to set my alarm and overslept.  Again.

TOTD:  I'm reading The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby by Tom Wolfe.  I haven't decided what I think of Tom Wolfe as a writer, or what I think of this particular book.  Wolfe is obviously talented and, when he doesn't resort to ridiculously outdated hippy slang, this book is not bad.  I like the story about Junior Johnson.  I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, mostly because they're not really racing "stock" cars anymore... especially since they introduced that Car Of Tomorrow.  :censored:

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »
Wow, there must be something going around. My throat is killing me and my head is pounding. Unfortunately there's no rest for the wicked around here. Today is rooster killing day (to be followed by yummy homemade chicken soup). My husband does the killing...I just can't bring myself to do that but I don't have any problem plucking and cleaning. I also have to clean the Bunny House & Chicken Retirement Home. My sweet, old one-eyed rooster Moose-O-Lini and his girls live with the bunnies. Moosie's best friend is a rabbit named Rocky...all I need now is Boris and Natasha and I'll have the whole cartoon.

As for the last book I checked out (there's actually 3 because I check out more than one at a time). Vladimir Nabokov's Lectures on Literature, Joseph Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces (I have The Power of Myth but "Hero" is a little more in depth), and Three Tales from the Life of Knulp by Hermann Hesse. This last is a quaint little book I read many years ago and loved it, though I'm generally not a big fan of Hesse. I'm still reading the Nabokov one though so haven't gotten to the others.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 02:58:45 PM »
Wow, there must be something going around. My throat is killing me and my head is pounding. Unfortunately there's no rest for the wicked around here. Today is rooster killing day (to be followed by yummy homemade chicken soup). My husband does the killing...I just can't bring myself to do that but I don't have any problem plucking and cleaning. I also have to clean the Bunny House & Chicken Retirement Home. My sweet, old one-eyed rooster Moose-O-Lini and his girls live with the bunnies. Moosie's best friend is a rabbit named Rocky...all I need now is Boris and Natasha and I'll have the whole cartoon.

As for the last book I checked out (there's actually 3 because I check out more than one at a time). Vladimir Nabokov's Lectures on Literature, Joseph Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces (I have The Power of Myth but "Hero" is a little more in depth), and Three Tales from the Life of Knulp by Hermann Hesse. This last is a quaint little book I read many years ago and loved it, though I'm generally not a big fan of Hesse. I'm still reading the Nabokov one though so haven't gotten to the others.

Cindie

I'm a fan of Nabokov, I've read quite a few of his books.  I'll have to check that one out. :)
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 04:01:39 PM »
Awwww, yeah!  Dicks' Sporting Goods is having a sale on kayaks, and I have a $100 gift card from Christmas.  I'm gonna go buy me some Can't Wait For Spring medicine!

Pictures to follow.  :naughty:

Offline Flame

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 05:38:04 PM »
Busy day today.  Basketball and dance, then signed the boys up for baseball.  Went to pick up from dance, then we all tracked to the "big" library in town (as opposed to the small local branch).  Then we went out for dinner..Chinese buffet, and my middle kid was ecstatic there were crab legs.  Got home, checked the mail.

A letter from the AAB to my daughter.  She was accepted to the summer program!  I'm so proud of her!!  Now, to come up with the funds.  Anyone want to donate 10 bucks??  :-)

Waiting patiently for 8:00 so I can watch NASCAR!

TOTD:  I checked 5 books out today (some mysteries, and one by W.E.B. Griffin).  Also returned the 6 I had checked out on Tuesday, since I was done with them.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 07:02:26 PM »
Woohoo!  It's so warm here, I might take this baby out tomorrow.  :hyper: :hyper:

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »
Woohoo!  It's so warm here, I might take this baby out tomorrow.  :hyper: :hyper:

That looks nice Chris!  And a cup holder!
Stink Eye

Offline Lauri

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »

Lauri, I loved the American Girl books when I was younger.  There were only 3 girls then, Kristen, Samantha and Molly.  :)  I always wanted a doll, but my mom refused.

oh you wouldnt believe what all they have now.. if youre bored sometime, go check it out (www.americangirl.com) .. i took my 8 year old to LA this past september and we went to the store at The Grove and it was really cool. The newest doll, Julie, was coming out that weekend.

Julie is a hippe; she's from the 70s, her parents are divorced.. she has a funky record player, and a big green fuzzy foot as a floor covering. she has beads that hang from her bedframe and her mom says "far out!" a lot. the books are always family fair and my daughter is obsessed.

our 22 year old was into them as a 9 year old, but nothing near what the new generation is now... its an obsession, but its Americana, so we abide by it..  :cheersmate:

Offline Lauri

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »

You should try playing it on a real guitar.

oh, im not under any illusions about my abilities.. but if i'm having a few drinks, i'll act stupid for anyone..  :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 07:08:58 PM »
I completely missed the cupholder.  :-)

I hate this damn sales tax... 10% :censored:

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 07:13:02 PM »

oh you wouldnt believe what all they have now.. if youre bored sometime, go check it out (www.americangirl.com) .. i took my 8 year old to LA this past september and we went to the store at The Grove and it was really cool. The newest doll, Julie, was coming out that weekend.

Julie is a hippe; she's from the 70s, her parents are divorced.. she has a funky record player, and a big green fuzzy foot as a floor covering. she has beads that hang from her bedframe and her mom says "far out!" a lot. the books are always family fair and my daughter is obsessed.

our 22 year old was into them as a 9 year old, but nothing near what the new generation is now... its an obsession, but its Americana, so we abide by it..  :cheersmate:

I like this one: 

She's a red head, green eyes and freckles.  I love her.  And she plays hockey:

Stink Eye

Offline guest

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 07:13:07 PM »
Okay, had my first day of work.  It was hectic, but I made it, and earned some tips in the process.  :)   I could use an all-over body massage right now *waits for the pervy comments to start*   :whatever:

TOTD:  Last book I checked out of a library was something for class, but I cannot recall what. 

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:15:19 PM by ACrazyConservative »

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »
those on CU at this moment:

aircop2006, allahballah, brian241, Bubbadawg, Cafe Godai, Coldwarrior, Conservative X, crazy horse, freedumb2003, Goldwater, Gore_bites, Gravitas, greenhoodedbandit, lacarnut, Laz711, Mary Ann, mercedes, mysterie05, Nubs, proudbushsupporter, redwhit, Splshdown, thundley4, UnAmericanYOU, valen1972, Voice of Reason, Zeus

known ronbots glowing for your satisfaction.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »

aircop2006, allahballah, brian241, Bubbadawg, Cafe Godai, Coldwarrior, Conservative X, crazy horse, freedumb2003, Goldwater, Gore_bites, Gravitas, greenhoodedbandit, lacarnut, Laz711, Mary Ann, mercedes, mysterie05, Nubs, proudbushsupporter, redwhit, Splshdown, thundley4, UnAmericanYOU, valen1972, Voice of Reason, Zeus

freedumb is gonna..... oh, he is so gonna be mad. I think you glowed the wrong person.  :-)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »
 :rotf:

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »

Enjoy your new toy, Chris.  Looks great! :)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »
:rotf:

I have to know, were you baiting him?  :lmao:

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 07:42:43 PM »
noooooooooooooooooo...

that would wrong............ :tongue:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 07:46:14 PM »
noooooooooooooooooo...

that would wrong............ :tongue:

LOL... check out my sig

Offline Chris_

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 10:21:18 PM »

freedumb is gonna..... oh, he is so gonna be mad. I think you glowed the wrong person.  :-)

Freaking LOL!!!   Oh, honey, I dun been had!!!   :)