Author Topic: Severe weather  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Severe weather
« on: February 05, 2008, 08:16:01 PM »
...headed this way.  Reports of tornados on the ground SW of here and headed NE.  Serious stuff.  Please keep us in your prayers.

Time to shut down and disconnect everything.  I will log back on  when it has passed...  If I don't, it's because I can't.  Won't be surprised if the power goes out soon.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: Severe weather
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
Stay safe lug, hope it is not too bad.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 08:35:24 PM »
Stay safe, Lug...update us when you can!

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 08:36:25 PM »
Keep yourselves safe, lug. Let us know as soon as you can.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:36:48 PM »
I'm gonna live dangerously and stay online.   :cheersmate:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:40:02 PM »
I think those storms are destined to hit the Atlanta area tomorrow, if they don't die out before then. 

Keep safe,ya'll. 

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 08:40:22 PM »
How far out are the storms? 5 + miles or so?
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 08:40:24 PM »
Stay safe guys!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 08:40:55 PM »
Holy crap.

If I disappear, my cable probably went out.  I just hope my power stays on.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 08:41:59 PM »
 :o :bolt: 

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 08:43:17 PM »
The one south of Jackson, TN has a hook-echo for sure.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 09:12:30 PM »
Just talked to my parents and brother in Memphis. Lots of damage, power is out, brother had to pull over (he's a truck driver) because he nearly got blown off the road. Everyone is safe but lots of warehouses are damaged and one shopping mall has severe damage. Updates here - http://www.wreg.com/Global/category.asp?C=5491&nav=menu93_1

Stay safe guys if you are in the path of this stuff.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 09:38:50 PM »
Still here...by the Grace of God. 

Tornadoes on the ground just a couple of miles west of here.  Chris may be on the receiving end of it now.  They're headed for downtown Nashville.  There are all kinds of reports of flattened houses, trees, etc.  One fatality already reported.  Oddly enough, we didn't even get rain.  I could stand on my front porch (faces west from a hilltop) and see the continuous lightning...could hear the "freight train" off in the distance.  Whew.

They're reporting a wall cloud that's part of this super-cell in downtown Nashville right now.

This is round one. Round two is due around 2-3am tomorrow morning.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 09:44:48 PM »
Holy vortex, batman! Keeping you in my prayers. I surely don't want you to lose yur power, much less yur innerwebz.  :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 09:50:36 PM »
Holy vortex, batman! Keeping you in my prayers. I surely don't want you to lose yur power, much less yur innerwebz.  :-)
If that's all I lose, I'll consider myself lucky.  The radar picture of round two looks worse. 

This thing's been moving at 55+ mph and has retained the "hook" shape for nearly 2 hours.   It's roaring through the NE side of Nashville now...heading for southern Kentucky.  Opryland just got smacked.  Hopefully this beast isn't on the ground.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 10:04:52 PM »
Union University near Jackson, TN....severely damaged dormitory with reports of 8 students trapped inside.

The t.v. weather people are going nutz right now.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 10:07:35 PM »
^my step sister goes there! She doesn't live on campus though. I can't get through to a lot of my family right now....

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 10:17:09 PM »
^my step sister goes there! She doesn't live on campus though. I can't get through to a lot of my family right now....
They just interviewed the Pres. of Union Univ.  He said 12 trapped in a dorm...six of which have now been rescued.  Apparently 2 major dorms got smacked.

More reports of houses blown off their foundations, trees flattened, etc.  There'll be plenty of tv coverage of the carnage when the sun comes up tomorrow.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 10:19:57 PM »
^Yep, my dad is on the Emergency Mgmt team so he's underground at the command center. I'll have to get the scoop tomorrow.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 11:10:20 PM »
heard earlier tonight that both states got hit pretty decently and there were deaths... hope everyone else is safe.

on this side of the country, we are having high wind warnings that threaten to topple more trees... so, hopefully nobody here loses power as well.

Offline Full-Auto

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 11:32:08 PM »
Holy crap.

If I disappear, my cable probably went out.  I just hope my power stays on.
I just flew through Atlanta a few hours ago (lay over of about 30 minutes) and it was nice outside.  I'm glad I made it through there before the storm hit.  They shut Midway and O'Hare down yesterday in Chicago and we couldn't get out.

Now I'm sitting here in sunny Florida all happy I'm not dealing with that crap this week!


Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 06:49:31 AM »
Still here...thanks for the prayers.  They reported 20 fatalities in TN this morning from the storms.  Our power went out briefly, but no apparent damage.  It was too dark this morning to see if I lost any trees.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 06:10:26 PM »
Death toll in TN to date...30 with 10 still missing.  Pictures of the destruction are incredible.  In some areas, there's not even any debris left...everything's just peeled down to bare dirt.  There are many scenes of people standing in circles, holding hands and praying...giving thanks for being alive.

Dorms at Union Univ. destroyed...cars tossed around like toys.  Many injuries there, but no fatalities.

Offline Chris_

Offline Lauri

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »
They just interviewed the Pres. of Union Univ.  He said 12 trapped in a dorm...six of which have now been rescued.  Apparently 2 major dorms got smacked.

More reports of houses blown off their foundations, trees flattened, etc.  There'll be plenty of tv coverage of the carnage when the sun comes up tomorrow.

the reports this morning on the news looked pretty horrifying... and all the students cars being destroyed, man... we'll keep them in our prayers.

our wind storms are still kicking up here, but no power outtages yet that i know of..