Author Topic: What kind of weird stuff is this?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
What kind of weird stuff is this?
« on: November 28, 2018, 08:24:44 AM »

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/defeated-rep-bruce-poliquin-calls-lengthy-ranked-choice-recount

This method seems unconstitutional to me.  Am I reading this wrong?

Anyone else have a different take on this?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Online Old n Grumpy

Re: What kind of weird stuff is this?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 01:53:12 PM »
The Constitution is meaningless to the left unless it benefits them.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 10:33:33 AM »
http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/defeated-rep-bruce-poliquin-calls-lengthy-ranked-choice-recount

KC

I tend to àgrèe, KC.
The Supremè Court ought to look into it.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 01:25:54 PM »

KC

I don's see how ranked choice would be unconstitutional. Each state has the power to elect its officials in accordance with its state constitution and statutes.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 02:45:31 PM »
I don's see how ranked choice would be unconstitutional. Each state has the power to elect its officials in accordance with its state constitution and statutes.

The way I was reading it, though, is the algorithm is actually assigning the votes based on some weird code.  If you had ballots where people were actually putting down "I like this guy first, this woman is my second pick, and as a last resort I'll live with this loser here", I could see that as an option.  Weird, but ok, if that's what you want in your state.  But to have the computer assign votes to someone else ... I don't know about that.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 04:35:45 PM »

The way I was reading it, though, is the algorithm is actually assigning the votes based on some weird code.  If you had ballots where people were actually putting down "I like this guy first, this woman is my second pick, and as a last resort I'll live with this loser here", I could see that as an option.  Weird, but ok, if that's what you want in your state.  But to have the computer assign votes to someone else ... I don't know about that.

KC

It's not a computer-generated algorithm. The process is in accordance with Maine state law (https://legislature.maine.gov/legis/bills/bills_127th/billtexts/IB000201.asp), and the formula was developed by a human.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.