Author Topic: DUmmie surprised by following Officers orders at traffic stop.  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Houstonguy34

I enjoy DU for it’s comedy and nuttiness but every now and then I hit pure gold.

This DUmmie was surprised after being stopped for a traffic violation.. After following the Officers orders this idiot was let go. Yet this DUmmie was wondering what if she were black?

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211004790

TygrBright (16,416 posts)      Wed Aug 15, 2018, 02:02 PM

My White Privilege Moment Today

I feel ambiguous and guilty about benefiting from my white privilege in a very specific way today.

Don't get me wrong: I benefit from white privilege EVERY day. It allows me to walk around in a shielded bubble of never having to think about whether a store clerk is eyeing me distrustfully when I stop in to buy a lightbulb, never have to think about whether some ICEhole will ask to see my papers if I'm picking up a kid at school, never have to be conscious of how many of the people in pictures and movies and advertisements do/don't look like me... oh, all kinds of things, every single day.

Like a fish, I don't notice the water I've been breathing all along, except when I try to remind myself. When I try to pay attention. Which, honestly, isn't nearly often enough.

And then today I got my nose rubbed in my white privilege, pretty hard.

I made an illegal left turn. Right in front of a cop car.

Mind you, I didn't realize the left turn I was making was illegal. There was a sign, according to the cop who promptly pulled me over, but I didn't see it. Bad me.

Anyway, I made the left, and the cop car's flashers went on, and I thought, 'WTF? Is that for me?' even as I proceeded to a cutout and pulled over.

And as I was getting my wallet out of my purse, and opening the glove box for my registration, I was thinking, "What would I be feeling right now if my skin was brown?"

(I am so, so very white... Even in the middle of the summer after plenty of work in the garden, no one would ever mistake me for anything but white.)

And I thought, "Instead of being annoyed about possibly being late for my meeting, and about a potential fine for something, and possible points on my license if whatever I did was really horrific, I would be feeling terrified about possibly being yanked from the car, told to lie down on the ground, handcuffed, otherwise brutalized and/or traumatized, possibly arrested, and a whole cascade of other horrors to follow. I'd probably be worrying about that."

Instead, the pleasant-looking, youngish Anglo cop stuck his face toward the window as I lowered it, and asked nicely (with a "please, Ma'am", even) for my license, proof of insurance, and car registration. And let me reach into the glove box for the one, and into my wallet for the other two, and took them from me politely, while he explained that the left turn I'd just made was illegal.

And that there was a sign. And that it was illegal because it's unsafe to make a left turn there because cross-traffic blah-blah and signal blah-blah, and would I please remain in the car in the driver's seat for a 'few minutes'.

To which I nodded, of course. And he walked back to his car.

And I took out my cell phone to tell one of the people I had a meeting scheduled with, that I might be a few minutes late.

And while I was doing that, I thought, "If my skin was brown, would I reach for my cell phone, and hold it up where the cop could see it, and make this call?"

And I thought, "****, no, I WOULD NOT. I would sit still like a mousie with my hands both on the wheel and pray like hell that the cop isn't in a prove-something mood today."

I finished my call, and put the phone away, and after another minute or two, the nice young white cop approached my window again, and told me he was issuing me a 'written warning', which would not involve a fine or a court appearance, and would I sign here, please?

And I thought, for just a moment I thought, about asking the nice young white cop, "Officer, if my skin were brown, would I be getting an actual ticket this time? Or worse?"

But of course, I didn't. #NotAllCops blah-blah and besides I'm chickenshit. I admit it. I chickened on that.

So I thanked the officer nicely, and signed where he pointed, and accepted my copy of the warning and my license and insurance certification and car registration back from him. And promised to drive safely and pay better attention to signs, yes, officer.

And while the officer went back to his car I put the documentation away and folded up the warning and put it away and started my car, and signaled to pull out, and carefully went on my way, driving as safely as I could for the whole rest of my journey.

And I wasn't even late to my meeting.

Voila'! WHITE PRIVILEGE SAVES THE DAY!

For me.

Because I'm white.

And I'm feeling so damned ambivalent right now. Of course I'm glad that I, personally, had no negative effects from the encounter.

But I'm sitting here wondering where I'd be, now, at this moment, if my skin were brown. Late for my meeting? Worrying about paying my fine and/or possible points on my license? In a holding cell?

In the ****ing morgue?

White privilege sucks. Because I have it, that means lots of my neighbors and friends DON'T have it. They have to live with these calculations and thoughts every single day, and I hate that.

I wish it hadn't been white privilege that made my little encounter so harmless. I wish it were just the way things are for everyone.

I'll stay aware of how and why I benefit as I did today. And I'll do my best to just make it the way things are for everyone, in every way I can.

regretfully,
Bright
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 05:43:29 PM by franksolich »

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: DUmmie surprised by following Officers orders at traffic stop.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 02:14:44 PM »
From all the accounts I have heard about, it seems the only issues with this come from these 3 categories:

1) minority who has committed a crime and/or who doesn't obey the law officers orders,
2) minorities who didn't even encounter law enforcement but are making it all up in order to enhance a particular political agenda, and
3) minorities who somehow fate has chosen because it knows the minority will to go online to some kook website or run to some liberal network and moan.

Honestly, I know in the MSM what bleeds leads, but how these things that happen maybe once a month or so get aired while thousands upon thousands upon thousands of encounters minorities have with law enforcement that go perfectly normal go completely unmentioned is a mystery (minus accounting for the agenda that the media and libs want to make). Yea, someone doing their job the way it should be done isn't news, but that's not what I'm talking about. My guess is if you were to take per capita the number of whites who have instances where law enforcement have to get more physical and place that number along side those of minorities, the percentage would be negligible.

I just don't believe law enforcement goes to work everyday going "Boy, I sure do hope we can rough up some minority citizen today, even shoot them if we can." There's always some bad eggs in anything, so I'm not saying it can't happen. But until I can be convinced that is even 1% of the norm, then all the complaints I hear will get tossed away.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:20:30 PM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 02:28:19 PM »
I enjoy DU for it’s comedy and nuttiness but every now and then I hit pure gold.

This DUmmie was surprised after being stopped for a traffic violation.. After following the Officers orders this idiot was let go. Yet this DUmmie was wondering what if she were black?

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211004790
posts)

My White Privilege Moment Today

I feel ambiguous and guilty about benefiting from my white privilege in a very specific way today.

Don't get me wrong: I benefit from white privilege EVERY day. It allows me to walk around in a shielded bubble of never having to think about whether a store clerk is eyeing me distrustfully when I stop in to buy a lightbulb, never have to think about whether some ICEhole will ask to see my papers if I'm picking up a kid at school, never have to be conscious of how many of the people in pictures and movies and advertisements do/don't look like me... oh, all kinds of things, every single day.

Like a fish, I don't notice the water I've been breathing all along, except when I try to remind myself. When I try to pay attention. Which, honestly, isn't nearly often enough.

And then today I got my nose rubbed in my white privilege, pretty hard.

I made an illegal left turn. Right in front of a cop car.

Mind you, I didn't realize the left turn I was making was illegal. There was a sign, according to the cop who promptly pulled me over, but I didn't see it. Bad me.

Anyway, I made the left, and the cop car's flashers went on, and I thought, 'WTF? Is that for me?' even as I proceeded to a cutout and pulled over.

And as I was getting my wallet out of my purse, and opening the glove box for my registration, I was thinking, "What would I be feeling right now if my skin was brown?"

(I am so, so very white... Even in the middle of the summer after plenty of work in the garden, no one would ever mistake me for anything but white.)

And I thought, "Instead of being annoyed about possibly being late for my meeting, and about a potential fine for something, and possible points on my license if whatever I did was really horrific, I would be feeling terrified about possibly being yanked from the car, told to lie down on the ground, handcuffed, otherwise brutalized and/or traumatized, possibly arrested, and a whole cascade of other horrors to follow. I'd probably be worrying about that."

Instead, the pleasant-looking, youngish Anglo cop stuck his face toward the window as I lowered it, and asked nicely (with a "please, Ma'am", even) for my license, proof of insurance, and car registration. And let me reach into the glove box for the one, and into my wallet for the other two, and took them from me politely, while he explained that the left turn I'd just made was illegal.

And that there was a sign. And that it was illegal because it's unsafe to make a left turn there because cross-traffic blah-blah and signal blah-blah, and would I please remain in the car in the driver's seat for a 'few minutes'.

To which I nodded, of course. And he walked back to his car.

And I took out my cell phone to tell one of the people I had a meeting scheduled with, that I might be a few minutes late.

And while I was doing that, I thought, "If my skin was brown, would I reach for my cell phone, and hold it up where the cop could see it, and make this call?"

And I thought, "****, no, I WOULD NOT. I would sit still like a mousie with my hands both on the wheel and pray like hell that the cop isn't in a prove-something mood today."

I finished my call, and put the phone away, and after another minute or two, the nice young white cop approached my window again, and told me he was issuing me a 'written warning', which would not involve a fine or a court appearance, and would I sign here, please?

And I thought, for just a moment I thought, about asking the nice young white cop, "Officer, if my skin were brown, would I be getting an actual ticket this time? Or worse?"

But of course, I didn't. #NotAllCops blah-blah and besides I'm chickenshit. I admit it. I chickened on that.

So I thanked the officer nicely, and signed where he pointed, and accepted my copy of the warning and my license and insurance certification and car registration back from him. And promised to drive safely and pay better attention to signs, yes, officer.

And while the officer went back to his car I put the documentation away and folded up the warning and put it away and started my car, and signaled to pull out, and carefully went on my way, driving as safely as I could for the whole rest of my journey.

And I wasn't even late to my meeting.

Voila'! WHITE PRIVILEGE SAVES THE DAY!

For me.

Because I'm white.

And I'm feeling so damned ambivalent right now. Of course I'm glad that I, personally, had no negative effects from the encounter.

But I'm sitting here wondering where I'd be, now, at this moment, if my skin were brown. Late for my meeting? Worrying about paying my fine and/or possible points on my license? In a holding cell?

In the ****ing morgue?

White privilege sucks. Because I have it, that means lots of my neighbors and friends DON'T have it. They have to live with these calculations and thoughts every single day, and I hate that.

I wish it hadn't been white privilege that made my little encounter so harmless. I wish it were just the way things are for everyone.

I'll stay aware of how and why I benefit as I did today. And I'll do my best to just make it the way things are for everyone, in every way I can.

regretfully,
Bright

Bouncy.  How many registrations do you have that you can take one out before the officer gets to your car and then another when he asks?   :thatsright:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline jb2u11

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »
Bouncy.  How many registrations do you have that you can take one out before the officer gets to your car and then another when he asks?
I wondered the same thing when I read it.  Obviously it's hard to keep the facts straight when your making the entire thing up 

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 03:28:52 PM »
I wondered the same thing when I read it.  Obviously it's hard to keep the facts straight when your making the entire thing up

At the very least add on a HiLiary is my President bumper sticker and a H5 from the officer. 0 Bongs.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 04:22:05 PM »
Let me wrap my brain around this. DUmmy committed a traffic offense within view of a police officer.  And he/she/it immediately wonders if it had have happened to a person of color.

Perhaps half a bong had the cop jumped out of the bushes.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 04:50:23 PM »
I ought to forward this DUmmy's post to the entire Santa Fe Police Department so they all know what big racists TygreNotSoBright thinks they are.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »
Oh my.

Not nearly as squalid or greasy or slimy or scummy or skin-crawling as the last one, but still worth one's while.

comment 3901:
https://conservativecave.com/cave/index.php?topic=81827.3900
apres moi, le deluge