Author Topic: The first time I took part in a 'gay political event' NCTraveler  (Read 1295 times)

Offline CC27

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 07:31 AM
NCTraveler (29,911 posts)

The first time I took part in a 'gay political event' that event was demonstrating against health

insurance companies, calling for universal health care and action on AIDS, this event was organized by ACT UP, a group that started in NYC. Their first action ever took part on Wall Street targeting the financial, insurance and especially pharmaceutical industries, the posters said 'No More Business As Usual' and the day ended with mass arrests, but not nearly as many as there were on subsequent, yearly Wall St demonstrations.

So what it is you think you are teaching me here today? You need to take this message to your 'populist' cohort on DU, they are very confused people. In addition, any valid progressive populism will very actively include all people and avoid all hint of right wing populism, progressive populists do not need to be coaxed into supporting 'social issues' they come with those issues leading, if only to make sure everyone knows they are not just Mike Huckabee on a field trip to DU. The actual history of populism in the US creates a context in which progressive populism must define itself as progressive without reservation. If they do not, they will not gain the trust of minority voters. It's that simple, and without the minority voters, they don't have a movement. Deny the history at your own peril. It is white straight progressive populists who need the rest of us. The rest of us have each other and do not really need y'all. We want you to join up, but we will not be taking the back seats for you.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10026673874#post133

This is a post from May 2015 from one of my favorite DU’ers of the past. I don’t want to make this about the individual poster, but I recognized near the end of their stay they seemed extremely frustrated over people’s willingness to ignore historical realities and trends in order to win the narrative of the day for nothing more than self interest. I was not one of this persons favorite posters. I always paid attention to what they said.

I think the wording of this post of theirs is something all can understand, even if they want to use nuance to argue differently. It addresses a large issue we are currently seeing, and have seen in the past, in a very succinct way.

https://upload.democraticunderground.com/100210984837

I could not get past the first sentence and stopped reading it.

Offline SVPete

Re: The first time I took part in a 'gay political event' NCTraveler
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:55:48 AM »
In search of this post's

Is this a much obscured call for unity among DU-grade Progs?

Is this a much obscured and softened statement of how dumb white working people were for voting for Trump and how much we really need DU-grade Progs to show us what our best interest is?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Undies

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »
'gay political event'

How come people who cannot have sex with each other can become a political force?  President Clinton taught us that what these folks do with each other is not sex.  You'd think they would be embarrassed.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 09:34:19 AM »
... gay political event ...

Aren't all Prog political events "gay"? :rimshot:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »

The first time I took part in a 'gay political event'

Is your ass still sore?
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 02:18:44 PM »
, calling for universal health care and action on AIDS

Why should anyone be responsible for butt sex?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 03:01:45 PM »
Is this a much obscured call for unity among DU-grade Progs?

I believe it is, and for the Democrats, it's as message that needs delivered, and listened to.

But as we all can see from the HawkeyeX primitive's nasty response on another thread here in this forum, it doesn't seem to be working.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 06:16:48 PM »

The first time I took part in a 'gay political event... I was tasting the rainbow for days afterwards.

Fixed that for ya, dummie.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 10:16:09 PM »
>The first time I took part in a 'gay political event' that event was demonstrating against health

Taking the the spooge up the backside while protesting can distract from the reality of your choices. Anal Insertion Syndrome
is no accident.  How does it feel...

Offline Rufus2010

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 09:11:57 AM »
Fri Aug 10, 2018, 07:31 AM

The first time I took part in a 'gay political event' that event was demonstrating against health

insurance companies, calling for universal health care and action on AIDS

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/You+may+not+be+as+gay+as+this+_f80b49_15840.jpg

Offline jukin

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 09:54:17 AM »
A 'gay political event' is that what the kids are calling a hook up on an interstate rest area?

What do they call a night in the glory hole at a truck stop?
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »
"Gay event"

Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 11:46:14 PM »
"Gay event"

Just drove by there the other day. My 10 yr old thought it was hilarious
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)