Author Topic: hippowife primitive finds surprise in refrigerator  (Read 833 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
hippowife primitive finds surprise in refrigerator
« on: August 20, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x48033

Oh my.

The hippowife, franksolich's adopted grandmother:

hippywife  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Aug-17-08 12:34 PM
Original message

Nice surprise in the fridge this morning.

I was looking for something and found an unopened, still sealed bowl of cream from on of the co-op producers. I have no idea how it escaped my notice all this time but all of the cream had separated to the top and thickened very nicely into spreading consistency.

I might have to get some extra and do that on purpose next time.

pengillian101  Donating Member  (172 posts) Mon Aug-18-08 05:52 PM
Response to Original message

1. And........

Then what?

Spreading consistency like butter you mean? That wouldn't just magically happen, would it?

What did you spread it on? What happened to the lower liquid part? Inquiring minds want to know, lol.

hippywife  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-18-08 06:38 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Well...the spreading consistency is similar to soft butter when cold and so far the DH had it on his zucchini bread for breakfast. I've never had it before but I'm thinking clotted cream. I dumped the liquid part, it was just about the entire water content of the carton, almost clear, just a tad cloudy.

And yes, it did just magically happen. It was way in the back of the fridge where it was very, very cold and just did its thing. No kidding!

pengillian101  Donating Member  (172 posts) Mon Aug-18-08 06:53 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. Ahh...

Got it. It must be because it was from a co-op and therefore, not processed, don't you think? Our dairy is from the store and I would bet that would never happen with store-bought. Anyway, it's sure sounds like a fun surprise!

hippywife  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-18-08 07:21 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. It is pastuerized but not homogenized, I believe, and the cattle are grassfed making the cream sweet and yellow. Yeah, store bought pretty much will spoil before it will do that!

pengillian101  Donating Member  (172 posts) Tue Aug-19-08 09:42 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. Happy birthday to ya!

Hope your hubby made you happy
apres moi, le deluge