Author Topic: mustang primitive looking for soft food  (Read 901 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
mustang primitive looking for soft food
« on: August 16, 2008, 08:03:52 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x47969

Oh my.

pinto  DU Moderator Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-16-08 06:41 PM
Original message

Hi all. Soliciting ideas for soft foods. Had extensive dental work done yesterday, all my remaining upper teeth were yanked in prep for a full plate. It'll be a month or so before I can eat "normally".

I've got a big pot of chicken/vegetable/ginger soup, the biggest container of cottage cheese I could find, enough yogurt to corner the market, an 18 pack of eggs for scrambles, etc. Bought some fruit/veggie smoothies at the market but they are sure expensive...

Looking for some variety - and nutrition, of course. I'm Irish, but how many mashed potatoes can one eat.

Weight is a problem for me, I'm a string bean and keeping weight on is an issue health wise. Any ideas appreciated.

lwfern  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-16-08 06:45 PM
Response to Original message

1. pumpin pie, no crust.

mmMMMmmm

pinto  DU Moderator Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-16-08 06:50 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Baked pumpkin with spices, right? That sounds good. It would add an orange color to my menu.

(I was taught to include all the colors available to meals as a simple nutrition guideline. Red, green, orange, yellow...)

lwfern  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-16-08 08:03 PM
Response to Reply #2

8. baked pumpkin custard.

You could just bake it and smash it up with spices. But I would puree it with the spices, sugar, an egg and some milk for the real pumpkin pie experience.

Now that you mention yellow, I'm thinking bananas sauteed in butter with powdered sugar. (one of my favorites).

I'm not sure if you are doing sweets at all, that could be an issue.

Another thing I'd do is a puree of cooked spinach and marinated artichoke hearts.

grasswire  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-16-08 07:07 PM

3. berry puree with baked custard

Getting those deep-colored berries while they're still plentiful is a very good thing for your nutrition. Make a puree with a bit of sweetener and eat with a baked custard or a pudding.

How about some creamed spinach? Here's how I do it (without making a white sauce). I cook chopped frozen or fresh spinach in a saute pan until all the water is gone. Then I add butter, curry powder, a bit of fresh nutmeg, and some heavy cream. Mmmmm.

How about homemade hummus drizzled with olive oil?

How about a homemade bean soup where the beans are cooked very soft and then mashed? You could make that with some kind of stock, some onions, a bit of pepper, a bay leaf, etc.

Hmm. If I were you I might crave something spicy eventually. You could make some icy pureed gazpacho with V-8 juice and lots of veggies, and add some salsa or hot sauce. Serve with smooth guacamole and a wedge of lime.

You can make a pureed broccoli and cheddar soup. Baked potato soup (yum). You could eat deviled ham. And mashed bananas, of course.

eleny  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-16-08 07:18 PM

4. Rice pudding

Since you can add plumped, softened raisins to it and egg whites from the carton (the kind with a teensy bit of yoke added for flavor). Yeah, it's another white colored food but it tastes good.

Any soups that you can puree like tomato or tomato bisque. I like mushroom soup since it can take garlic and pepper for zip.

Sauteed mushrooms and onions diced and sauteed until they're very soft. Add a little ground meat of choice or even diced smoked sausage or franks (soy or chicken taste good) bits and it can be easy to deal with. That's something for when your mouth isn't so sensitive, maybe in a week.

Smoothies and malt drinks. I was surprised that powdered malt is so low in fat. It just has more sugar than I'd like these days. But if you can handle it, it's something you can add fruits to get them in your diet.

edit - Sorry you had to go through that procedure. Be well and I hope you get to feeling good soon! :hug:

I dunno.  As a little lad, franksolich was terrified of rice pudding.

The maternal ancestress made what was alleged by hundreds to be the best rice pudding (I think it came out of an English cookbook), but her heir wouldn't touch the stuff, turning away in utter revulsion.

One has no idea why.  Sometimes things just happen without any of us knowing why.

pengillian101  Donating Member  (158 posts) Sat Aug-16-08 07:24 PM

5. Oh, you poor thing. Oweeee.

When my guy had his teeth taken out, he practically lived this on one dish.

Honestly, I have the recipe written down, but I can't find it just this minute. If you want better directions, let me know. Shortcut version:

Layer in a greased casserole dish:

A layer of mashed potatoes
A layer of thawed frozen spinach
A layer of cooked crumbled sausauge
A layer of grated cheddar cheese

Repeat as deep as your dish allows. Bake until heated through.

franksolich's adopted grandmother, the hippowife primitive:

hippywife  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-16-08 07:43 PM

6. Oh, poor Pinto!

Sorry you have to go through that. I watched them pull my husband's. Not a pleasant sight nor a pleasant experience for him for a bit.

Rather than buying the smoothies, you might want to just make your own with the fresh ingredients. Will taste better and be better nutritionally, too. If I think of anything different to eat, I'll post it for you.

If you have a blender, my favorite is always just good ol' banana milkshakes.

If I think of anything different to eat, I'll post it for you.

lwfern  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-16-08 08:04 PM
Response to Reply #6

9. Pinto! of course!

refried beans with melty cheese and salsa.

Husb2Sparkly  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-16-08 07:50 PM

7. Long, slowly braised meats will be easy to gum .......

Here's my short rib post from a month or three ago. You could do the same thing with a big ol' chuck roast. There's almost n such things as 'overcooking'. The long it goes, the more tender it is. Go longer and it turns to mush. All the veggies get really nice and soft, too.

The warped primitive, the new High Priestess of Moloch to the primitives:

Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-16-08 08:41 PM

11. Once your gums have had a week or so to heal you'll find you'll be able to manage things like spaghetti and other pasta based foods without throwing them into the blender but you'll have to forget the "al dente" and go to the slightly overcooked stage. Mashed potatoes are also great and you can have them with whatever gravy is being served. My guess is that you won't miss the steak that much and you can learn how to make all sorts of sauces.

I'm surprised they didn't make the denture before they pulled the teeth. That's how a lot of dentists prefer to do it, and put in the denture immediately to put pressure on the gum and stop bleeding more quickly.

In any case, dentures are a hell of a lot better than a mouthful of bad teeth. You'll be shocked how fast you adapt.

My dad had full dentures at the age of 26.

I dunno.  Nobody mentioned ice cream.
apres moi, le deluge