Author Topic: dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher rants  (Read 861 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher rants
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:48:55 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x6629228

Oh my.

How's that thing with the pal who was arrested for trying to vote, one wonders.

Background: to put this into perspective, the dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher is 55 years old.

proud2Blib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-13-08 01:03 PM
Original message

I need to rant about the Obama campaign and please correct me if I am wrong

Last week, two reps from our local campaign came to meet with a political group I am involved with. We had told them ahead of time what we wanted - suggestions for how our members could help on the campaign. We explained most of our members had participated in campaign training and we wanted HANDS ON suggestions.

What we got were two 20 somethings who talked to us like we were in high school and gave us the same presentation they give at most house parties I have attended. It is aimed at people who don't have experience but want to help. When one of the people attending our meeting pointed out we were being talked down to, the Obama rep called him out for being rude.

Then last night a good friend of mine had a house party and I agreed to come. It was a different Obama rep and she gave the traditional 'why you should get involved in the campaign' speech and then asked us for our stories and questions. She shared some info about our local Obama office and talked about what a nice space it was and how lucky they were to have it. Someone asked for the phone number and she said there is no phone, you have to go down there or email to volunteer.

What kind of a campaign has no phone in their office?

So we asked about yard signs and bumper stickers. I pointed out that a lot of people won't phone bank or canvass but they will put up a sign or a bumper sticker. She said they have a few but normally don't have any. I said but a lot of people are going to come into your office only because they want a yard sign. You can hook them that way. Why not order some signs? Someone at the house party suggested we do that and donate them to the campaign.

I stopped counting but for almost every question, she didn't know the answer and told us to either check Obama's website or come by the office to meet with the people running the local campaign. Then someone asked her who was running the office and turns out it is the same two who came to our meeting last week.

She did make a good point and that was that Obama really believes in the grassroots movement and we should do what we can to be a part of his campaign. She pointed out that a group in a very red suburban area here had gotten together and found office space someone was willing to donate and were running a very effective grassroots campaign from that office.

But I can't help but be discouraged. Why do Democrats continue to hire these young inexperienced kids who are trained to regurgitate talking points instead of running an effective campaign? Or am I just being too critical?

I guess this rant is also my way of encouraging every DUer who has campaign experience to get involved at your local level. If this campaign continues to be led by young kids who have enthusiasm but lack experience, I will have a hard time being hopeful.

Rant over. Slams welcome.

BlooInBloo  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-13-08 01:06 PM
Response to Original message

1. (shrug) The bigger the organization, the more incompetent people in it.

LisaM  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-13-08 01:09 PM

3. I sometimes wonder about the "aging" out of people the Obama camp is doing

I experienced it first hand at my caucus - the older party regulars were pretty much shouted down. It was very discouraging.

That said, I have worked for other national campaigns (or tried to) and sometimes got the dismissive treatment.

This was especially true for Dukakis, though they eventually allowed me to go put up yard signs.

I get bugged by the "go to the website" meme. NOT EVERYONE HAS ACCESS TO COMPUTERS. We don't have one in our house, for example. Answer the freaking questions. Don't refer someone to a website. I volunteered for a campaign for state rep once. I was making phone calls one evening, and ran into a question I couldn't answer. This was in the 90s, and the candidate didn't have a website, but be that as it may, I would have done the same thing. I took down the person's name and number and had the candidate call him back. I find it incredibly offensive to be referred to a website to get a question answered. The campaign people should know.

tbyg52  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-13-08 01:18 PM

6. The main problem I have with the two kids you mentioned is that they apparently would not listen to your suggestions, which I am sure you made in a polite manner.

"Being ignorant is not a fault, but remaining that way is."

There's a paid operative for Barry "Goldwater" Obama at this bonfire, confused that "old people" generally don't like using the computer, and irritated that "old people" don't go way out of their way to help Barry "Goldwater" Obama.

I'm sure this particular bonfire's going to grow.
apres moi, le deluge