Author Topic: primitives trap, kill, animals  (Read 851 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives trap, kill, animals
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:06:17 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3693858

Oh my.

One wonders what PETA thinks.

ZombieHorde  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Jul-29-08 12:40 AM
Original message

Poll question: Is it unethical to kill animals that annoy you on your property, such as ants, mice, and wolves?

This poll excludes non-human animals and non-pet animals.

Poll result (50 votes)

Yes, it is unethical to kill ants, mice, and wolves on your property.   (15 votes, 30%)   

No, it is not unethical to kill ants, mice, and wolves on your property.   (24 votes, 48%)   

I am a better person now that I have voted in this poll.   (3 votes, 6%)   

The group of animals chosen for this poll offends me because I like to kill one or two over the other(s).   (8 votes, 16%)

I am offended by this poll for reasons I will post on this thread.   (0 votes, 0%)

Cleita  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Jul-29-08 12:46 AM
Response to Original message

2. Ants and mice aren't endangered species.

Wolves are. If you want to kill wolves why didn't you include coyotes in your silly mix? I live in a rural area with lot's of wildlife as well as domestic ranch life. I have one rule. If they come into my house, like ants, spiders and mice, they will be killed if I can't find a way to make them stay outdoors or trap them and move them outdoors. Anything that lives outdoors is sacred and we share our space. It's up to me to protect my pets and my plants from them, but killing them isn't an option especially for native species.

policypunk  (1000+ posts) Tue Jul-29-08 12:57 AM

8. I have found trapping mice alive much more effective

I had a serious mouse problem a couple of years ago and the only traps I found that actually worked were these green things from Home Depot. Load them up with peanut butter and a day later there were six of them in there. Took four loads of them to the hills.

Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Jul-29-08 01:12 AM
Response to Reply #8

13. I found mouse crap in the cabinets when I moved in but I moved in with two cats. I haven't seen any mouse crap anywhere since then.

When I get lines of sugar ants, I sweep them up and deposit them outside, then destroy their pheromone trail by washing the area with white vinegar.

I'd rather encourage vermin to live elsewhere. When I find bugs in the bathtub, I scoop them into an old jar and deposit themselves outside.

If I found an infestation of something that threatened my health, though, I'd deal with it accordingly to eliminate the threat.

As for the OP, "one of these things is not like the other...."

Wolves, while they might take livestock from time to time, are not vermin in the sense that they directly threaten our health. They are the only means known to man of keeping the numbers of coyotes down by competing for the same food supply.

bklyncowgirl  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Jul-29-08 06:43 AM

25. If they are damaging my property or threatening my pets or livestock I believe I have a right .

Right now I have two cats who keep the mouse & rat population down quite nicely. They do it by killing them. I'm not personally bashing the little beasts over the head, I'm leaving the wet work up to my furry little hitmen, er hit kitties but it amounts to the same thing.

I let my dog deal with rabbits, geese, deer and other animals that are eating my vegetables. Actually, he's a border collie and only wants to herd them, he once cornered a rabbit and instead of going in for the kill, worked the poor thing like a cutting horse, not letting it out of the spot where he had it pinned. I caught the dog, praised him to the skies and that rabbit has not been seen near my property since. If I had a dog that wanted to kill, I might think differently about it.

I routinely poison ants who undermine my driveway. We don't have wolves where I live but if I felt that a wolf or other large predator was threatening my horse or cats or dog who I consider part of my family, I would do what I have to.

LostinVA  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Jul-29-08 08:27 AM

27. Ants and mice are not in the same category as wolves

This is a bullshit, flamebait poll.

QuestionAll  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Jul-29-08 09:54 AM
Response to Reply #27

30. to a buddhist they are. ALL life is sacred.

Uh, not according to Pedro Picasso, a "Buddhist."

According to Pedro Picasso, it's okay to kill soon-to-be-born infants.

Marrah_G  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Jul-29-08 08:54 AM

29. No it is not unethical- Your question was to vague

Are the creatures casing damage, killing or injuring people or animals on the property?

We don't know if the wolf is merely taking a sun bath out n your property or has it's jaws clamped around the neck of your child or pet.

See the difference?

The above's just a sampling of the primitive comments at this bonfire.
apres moi, le deluge