Author Topic: Greetings from a Cultural Hell  (Read 9252 times)

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
Greetings from a Cultural Hell
« on: August 15, 2010, 12:20:29 PM »
Hi all...

Found your little fort rather by accident, but I wish I'd done so earlier! In any event, 45 year-old male, born in Chicago, raised in SoCal, and am presently employed in the film industry.

I came for the DUmping Ground, staying to kneecap il Douche.  :cheersmate:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Greetings from a Cultural Hell
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:31:28 PM »
CA escapee here as well.  God knows how you're doing it in that shithole.

Are you famous/notorious enough that you are invited to attend the Wednesday Morning Club?  Any of your work with which we of the unwashed may be familiar?

My closest brush with fame was talking to one of the screenwriters of K-19 The Widowmaker.  He found out through some friends of my ex that I was a submariner and asked me a few questions, what I knew of the history of the story, what was possible on a boat, what wasn't.  That and I was a contestant on Win Ben Stein's Money about 10 years ago (after Jimmy Kimmel left.)
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:33:43 PM »
Welcome to CC glad you found us!  :cheersmate:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
I came for the DUmping Ground, staying to kneecap il Douche.  :cheersmate:

Welcome.  I came here for the dick and fart jokes, and stayed for the food. :rofl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 01:00:38 PM »
CA escapee here as well.  God knows how you're doing it in that shithole.

Are you famous/notorious enough that you are invited to attend the Wednesday Morning Club?  Any of your work with which we of the unwashed may be familiar?

Never heard of the "Wednesday Morning Club," but we Hollywood conservatives manage to gather together sporadically, so I'm sure I'll eventually run across it.

As for my work, I've been pretty fortunate as of late. I'm a little hesitant to give too many specifics, so suffice to say my writing partner and I are at work on season 5 of one of those original series you find on one of the premium cable channels.

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 06:06:27 PM »
Welcome to the Cave if you like beer you will fit right in
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 06:10:18 PM »
Welcome to CC!

I am Jessica and I live next door to you... kind of... in Las Vegas.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:35:10 PM »
Welcome.  I'm north of you, up in the Bay Area.  Always nice to see another Californian :-)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 07:29:58 PM »
Do you know Barbra Streisand?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »
Welcome!

(running original cable shows through my head trying to figure out which one has been on for 4 seasons.... :lmao:)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 08:34:24 PM »
Do you know Barbra Streisand?

Yeah. I banged never met her.  :evillaugh:

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 08:36:27 PM »
Welcome.  I'm north of you, up in the Bay Area.  Always nice to see another Californian :-)

Same here, Rose! I spent a lot of time in Concord/Walnut Creek when I was a kid. Marched with a drum & bugle corps up there. I LOVE NoCal, especially in the summer!!!!! :lmao:

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 08:03:20 AM »
Same here, Rose! I spent a lot of time in Concord/Walnut Creek when I was a kid. Marched with a drum & bugle corps up there. I LOVE NoCal, especially in the summer!!!!! :lmao:

The Blue Devils?   Brother was a drum major in HS, haven't missed a DCI in years....until this one.  I live right by the competition site in Dallas. 

Welcome! :cheersmate:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 09:33:13 AM »
The Blue Devils?   Brother was a drum major in HS, haven't missed a DCI in years....until this one.  I live right by the competition site in Dallas. 

Welcome! :cheersmate:

Hell yeah!!! I marched 1980-86!!!!  :hyper:

My dad and little brother were both Cavaliers, and my mom marched Skokie Indians. Guess you could say it runs in the family!

The girlfriend and I are planning on making Nats next year...gonna make a week of it!  :cheersmate:

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 10:27:27 AM »
As for my work, I've been pretty fortunate as of late. I'm a little hesitant to give too many specifics, so suffice to say my writing partner and I are at work on season 5 of one of those original series you find on one of the premium cable channels.

Welcome from the "right" side of the country!!  :bwah: (Can't keep a straight face for long writing that  :-))

Would you be annoyed if I hazard a guess on the series?  I won't do so unless you let me know it's OK.  However, if it IS the show I'm thinking about, my husband and I have watched all 4 seasons and LOVE it -- never miss it!  We can't wait for Season 5 to start, considering how the finale of Season 4 ended . . .
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
Hell yeah!!! I marched 1980-86!!!!  :hyper:

My dad and little brother were both Cavaliers, and my mom marched Skokie Indians. Guess you could say it runs in the family!

The girlfriend and I are planning on making Nats next year...gonna make a week of it!  :cheersmate:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!  I have always been a fan, my brother wanted so bad to get into a corps, but it just didn't work out.  But he goes every year.  Last year, I was able to score him box seat tickets, as I ran into a dude that was the treasurer of that event.  Man o Pete, he felt like a rockstar!  The only think I don't like about DCI is that the competition is in the summer, and it is too dang hot!!

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 10:38:53 AM »
Welcome. We moved from Dallas to SoCalifornia last year. I don't like it. We had to move or my husband would lose his job.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »
Sent a message.  I'm probably wrong, but what the hell.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 12:07:03 PM »
Welcome from the "right" side of the country!!  :bwah: (Can't keep a straight face for long writing that  :-))

Would you be annoyed if I hazard a guess on the series?  I won't do so unless you let me know it's OK.  However, if it IS the show I'm thinking about, my husband and I have watched all 4 seasons and LOVE it -- never miss it!  We can't wait for Season 5 to start, considering how the finale of Season 4 ended . . .

If the one you're thinking of was based upon a series of books regarding a rather "quirky" brand-new single dad who works with his sister, then you're correct, and thank you so much for the kind words.  :bow:

We're also sorry for springing that finale on you, and for making you wait until September 27th before we tell you what happens next.  :evillaugh:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 01:29:34 PM »
If the one you're thinking of was based upon a series of books regarding a rather "quirky" brand-new single dad who works with his sister, then you're correct, and thank you so much for the kind words.  :bow:

We're also sorry for springing that finale on you, and for making you wait until September 27th before we tell you what happens next.  :evillaugh:

No Way

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 01:43:50 PM »
No Way

Yeah.  :) But the head honcho is my writing partner, who originally had the idea for the show and bought the rights. I was just lucky enough to have done some work for him on some other pathetic crap that never managed to get picked up.

It's definitely the best work I've ever had (and probably ever will, judging from the pile of rejection letters I and every other writer collect), and I'm really just happy to be able to contribute something to a show people really dig, ya know?

As for the season finale, I wish to GOD I could say I conceived of that, but the truth is, it's one of the few times he and I really disagreed on something. I'm glad he's the boss, and that he had the final say. My idea would've been absolute garbage in comparison. LOL

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 01:54:58 PM »

Holy crap -- that's EXACTLY the one I was thinking of!!  I'm currently running through this past season's episodes on Comcast On Demand.  Season 5 is going to have a LOT of different issues/problems for him to work through so I imagine you've been busy!!  Really looking forward to the new season!!
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 02:02:29 PM »
I don't watch much TV.  And I don't have any HBO/Showtime type channels.  So this is totally airplane for me....

But the DCI stuff is pretty cool!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 02:17:16 PM »
I don't watch much TV.  And I don't have any HBO/Showtime type channels.  So this is totally airplane for me....

But the DCI stuff is pretty cool!

Being a brass player, I can appreciate the DCI stuff.  But I never could understand how folks actually enjoy marching that stuff while simultaneously blowing their brains out. Too much like freakin' work.

Oh, wait. I used to do that stuff for a living.....sorta.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »
Being a brass player, I can appreciate the DCI stuff.  But I never could understand how folks actually enjoy marching that stuff while simultaneously blowing their brains out. Too much like freakin' work.

Oh, wait. I used to do that stuff for a living.....sorta.

My dad was in the rifle line back in the early 60's, and my brother played euphonium, so I'm with ya on the whole "run the length of the football field whilst blowing your lungs out. As a drummer, though, we had it relatively easy!

The girlfriend and I went to the Westwood Cinema a few weeks ago to watch the semi-finals, though, and were just blown away by how athletic the kids doing drum corps these days have to be. No WAY could us burnouts back in the early 80's have pulled off these shows back then!