Author Topic: Sid suckers the conspiracy nuts into a fight  (Read 592 times)

Offline sharkhawk

Sid suckers the conspiracy nuts into a fight
« on: October 13, 2014, 07:08:29 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025659695
zappaman (12,984 posts)

The Man Who Tricked Chemtrails Conspiracy Theorists

The chemtrails conspiracy theory has been circulating for a while among the same sorts of people who believe that 9/11 was an inside job and celebrities are being controlled by the CIA. In brief, chemtrail enthusiasts think that those white trails of vapor you see pouring out of planes are actually nasty chemical or biological agents that governments are using to geo-engineer the weather, create a vast electromagnetic super-weapon, control the population, or—well, you get the idea. There's no science or proof whatsoever behind this, but plenty of people are still willing to entertain this vaguely supervillain-esque notion.

On October 1, Chris Bovey—a 41-year-old from Devon, England—thought he’d troll the chemtrails camp. During a flight from Buenos Aires to the UK, his plane had to make an emergency landing in São Paulo and dumped excess fuel to lighten the load. Since he had a window seat, Chris decided to film all the liquid being sprayed out of the wing next to him.

-snip-

Mick West—editor of anti-conspiracy theory website Metabunk, which published an article explaining why Chris’s video was a hoax—explained the history of the chemtrails theory to me. “It started back in the late 1990s,” he said. “People just noticed contrails—the condensation trails behind planes—for the first time, and got this idea that a normal contrail shouldn’t persist for very long. So if anything lasted for more than a few minutes, it must be something being sprayed.”

While chemtrails advocates might accuse sheeple of believing everything their governments tell them, they themselves tend to believe a lot of the stuff their internet tells them. West thinks its the proliferation of unverified “evidence” online that’s led to this particular conspiracy theory remaining so popular.

more laughs at link
http://www.vice.com/read/i-tricked-chemtrail-conspiracy-theorists-947?utm_source=vicefbus

Zappa, Sid and Nucleardem pulling the strings of the crazies.  Too bad Spooked isn't around to see his masterpiece still makes people "think" about 9/11.
Star Member SidDithers (34,028 posts)

35. Another DU classic...

Although I had never seen this one, does anyone have any background or links?

Only slightly better than this, which was supposed to represent something:

Sid

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Sid suckers the conspiracy nuts into a fight
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Although I had never seen this one, does anyone have any background or links?
I think that was spooked's New And Improved 9/11 conspiracy model.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:31:50 PM »
Found it.  It's from spooked's personal blog.

http://wtcmodel.blogspot.com/2006/12/121006.html

This site has a pretty good list of spooked's nutty posts (with appropriately funny titles).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Fourwinds

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:58:59 PM »
What I've learned about these kinds of people over the years (chem-trail nuts, ghost hunters, and hardcore ufo believers etc.) is they tend to lead extremely dull lives. Not surprised these people latch onto things like this to add some excitement to an otherwise drab existence.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 12:21:47 AM »
What I've learned about these kinds of people over the years (chem-trail nuts, ghost hunters, and hardcore ufo believers etc.) is they tend to lead extremely dull lives. Not surprised these people latch onto things like this to add some excitement to an otherwise drab existence.

Like Omaha Steve and his work in the sewage treatment plant led him to ghost hunting?

Offline Fourwinds

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 12:38:40 AM »
Like Omaha Steve and his work in the sewage treatment plant led him to ghost hunting?

Pretty much. I live near the Rocky Mountains and quite a few abandoned mineshafts and railroad tunnels. If I had a dollar for every time I was shown and "orb" in a photograph, I could fill a sock drawer with singles.

Offline SarasotaRepub

• eeeeeeevil ReThug
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:23:27 AM »
I miss spooked, he was a classic!!!  :mental:

And some of those comments in that blog are just too funny!!
Vader Rules!