Author Topic: What I did  (Read 11130 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
What I did
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
on my Christmas Vacation.

I had the week of Christmas and New Years off this year. I've been looking for a cue rack since buying a pool table and had settled on early 1900's BBC* racks. One problem. Though they had made hundreds, if not thousands, of  different cue racks over the years, existing units are very expensive (usually over $600) and somewhat hard to find.

What to do? Make one. Looking through Google image searches, plans, etc.. I decided on something similar to this:

From that I was able to plan out and make this:

The top portion is Lace wood with a chair railing "top". The sides and bottom holder are Oak. It was finished with dark walnut stain and then varnished with wipe-on poly satin.

I think it came out pretty well.

More shots:

With cues:

Thanks for looking!

*Brunswick Balke Collender
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: What I did
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:28:19 AM »
Nice job!

I see that rather than a clip to hold the cue into place, you simply drilled oversized holes in the top part of the rack. Looks great!

How much did you spend on materials and how long did it take you? Do you have a table saw? It seems one is needed for the vertical legs, at least.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 12:41:20 PM »
Nice job!

I see that rather than a clip to hold the cue into place, you simply drilled oversized holes in the top part of the rack. Looks great!

How much did you spend on materials and how long did it take you? Do you have a table saw? It seems one is needed for the vertical legs, at least.

I probably have less than $100 into the whole thing. The chair rail cost more than the Lace Wood.

I have a mid-fifties table saw that I restored a couple of years ago that I use. I also used a dado set to do the relief cuts and miter box for the chair rail top, so I got the angles right. A drill press was used for the forstner bit I used to make the pockets on the bottom section.

Took about a week to complete.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »
A work of art.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:59:56 PM »
Beautifull !  I always enjoy a game of eight or 9 ball.