Author Topic: THE DISSENT DECEIT  (Read 1329 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
THE DISSENT DECEIT
« on: July 13, 2008, 04:45:57 AM »
That's the title of a column in today's New York Post written by Ralph Peters.

THE DISSENT DECEIT
NOT PATRIOTISM'S HIGHEST FORM

by Ralph Peters

Last updated: 4:51 am
July 12, 2008
Posted: 4:08 am
July 12, 2008

WE all have irritants that make us want to reach for the revolver. One of mine is the bumper-stickerization of the American mind - the reduction of our hard-won freedom of political speech to slogans that substitute for vision.

(And on the subject of bumper stickers: One per car is OK, but anything more is public masturbation. And I don't want to see that when I pull up behind you at the stoplight.)

Parrot-talk on policy infects both ends of the political spectrum. Extremists like things neat and simple. But, these days, tape-loop talk has reached epidemic proportions on the left. Rational debate? Ain't going to find it at that MoveOn fund-raiser.

Worst of all, the most enduringly popular slogans tend to be either dishonest, misattributed - or just plain dumb.

We've all heard humorless America-haters promote themselves by announcing, As Thomas Jefferson said, "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."

The first problem with that self-righteous bull is that Jefferson never said it. On the contrary, he warned of the dangers of political dissension carried to extremes.

It's good.  Make sure you read Page 2 of the column. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:50:40 AM by Thor »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: THE DISSENT DECEIT
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:19:26 AM »
Link??
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 09:29:54 AM »
Excellent piece.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 09:38:16 AM »
I like it.  :-)

I feel like we have become such a dumbed-down nation, until I read articles such as this. Thank God for the thinkers.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 09:48:28 AM »
Good article. It's really dumb when you hear libs debating just using bumper sticker slogans off of the backs of their Volvos, and that's what most of Obama's fanatical base is. Half of them are retards, and half of them... well, just really hate this country.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 09:49:53 AM »
Audacity is for innovators, risk-takers and crusaders - for those willing to stand in the fire of public opinion and tell a million people they're wrong and here's why. Audacity's not for the passive mob hoping government will fix everything (while blaming government for everything).

Amen!
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 09:51:22 AM »
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

Yes, hope can work to positive effect, sustaining us in the face of grave misfortunes. But there's nothing audacious about it. "The audacity of hope" is blubbering gobbledy-gook.

Audacity is for innovators, risk-takers and crusaders - for those willing to stand in the fire of public opinion and tell a million people they're wrong and here's why. Audacity's not for the passive mob hoping government will fix everything (while blaming government for everything).

Hope is the opposite of audacity. It's passive, an excuse for inaction.

:bow: :bow:

Truer words were never spoken!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 10:53:07 AM »
I have only TWO "bumper stickers" on my truck. One is "Got Sig?" and the other is "US NAVY RETIRED". Only the gun literate folks will understand the first one.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 11:14:20 AM »
I have only TWO "bumper stickers" on my truck. One is "Got Sig?" and the other is "US NAVY RETIRED". Only the gun literate folks will understand the first one.

Yeah, about every third car in NH has that first sticker.  Their US plant and training facility is in Epping, about a 30 minute drive from my house.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford