Author Topic: old Big 10 now the new Big 12  (Read 1149 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
old Big 10 now the new Big 12
« on: August 06, 2010, 09:08:53 AM »
Well, as some know, Nebraska recently quit the Big 12, to join the Big 10, starting next year.

I'm not enthusiastic about the idea, given that the sorryass Penn State remains a member of the Big 10; next to Colorado fans, Penn State fans are the worst sports "fans" in the world.

I just wish Nebraska had made it a "condition" of joining the Big 10, that Penn State be expelled from it too.

Oh well.

Nebraska of course has connections with the tradition and practices of Ohio State, but I don't see any other sorts of connections, cultural, political, commercial, or historical, with the other Big 10 teams.

The old Nebraska-Missouri and Nebraska-Kansas rivalries will be history, as of next year.  These are two of the longest-running rivalries in the history of college football.

Popular sentiment in Nebraska seems to favor Wisconsin as our new rival, although it's decades too early to determine that.  One can't just designate a "rival," and make it into an authentic rivalry.  The sorryass Colorado tried that with Nebraska in the 1980s, and it didn't work.
apres moi, le deluge