Author Topic: New last book you read thread  (Read 133246 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: New last book you read thread
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2011, 08:53:19 AM »
I finished Hunger Games this morning.  Holy crap, what a messed-up book.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2011, 12:30:40 PM »
I finished Hunger Games this morning.  Holy crap, what a messed-up book.

I think I am gonna have to get that one now. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2011, 12:31:24 PM »
It's definitely worth it.  Might as well get the other two while you're at it.

I picked it up at six in the afternoon and didn't put it down until I was finished with it ten hours later.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2011, 12:35:23 PM »
Just finished reading Killer Twins by Michael Benson.  It's a true crime story about identical twin brothers who became career criminals while they were still teenagers.  Later they both became murderers.  One brother went on to kill at least four people.  It's an interesting story that raises the old "nature vs. nurture" question.  Benson goes into quite a bit of detail about their lives.  He also brings to life the city of Rochester, New York, which was the home base for the serial killer twin for many years.  I thought it was a pretty compelling read.

The author spoke at my book club a few months ago, and I found him to be a knowledgeable and engaging speaker.  I'm a bit of a true crime buff, and I think I will seek out some of his other crime books.

That sounds interesting, as I'm also a true crime afficionado.  That makes MSNBC good for something, prison reporting. :-)
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2011, 07:34:25 AM »
Used my Amazon gift card to pick up two oldies on Kindle: War and Remembrance and True Grit.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »
I finished a book yesterday entitled Through The Veil by Shiloh Walker.  I wouldn't expect any of you guys to ever read it, but the ladies of CC may be interested enough to check it out on Amazon.
Lots of war scenes though along with the love story, but I KNOW men do not deign to read paranormal romances. :-)
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »
I am on book #3 in the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben.  They are good mysteries involving a sport's agent, a preppy serial killer type good guy, and assorted cool characters. 
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »
Let me preface this by stating that I have never read any of this author's previous works, and secondly, I tend to avoid female mystery/thriller writers, because they have a penchant to spend half the book describing how every room is decorated, and what each character is wearing, (which I find boring), but just by chance I bought and just finished:

Bone by Bone, by Carol O'Connell

Picked it up on the bargain table at Barnes & Noble for six bucks, and it was a GREAT read.  A murder mystery set in a small northern California town, spanning over twenty years.......you don't find out who the actual killer is until the last ten pages of the book.......it was quite a ride......I was up until after midnight finishing it.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2011, 06:17:12 PM »
Just started The Bourne Supremacy.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »
Finallllllly finished The Disciple by Stephen Coontz yesterday.

I am embarassed over how long it took me to read it  :thatsright: I never ever have taken that long to read a book, not even War and Peace when I was a kid!

I would read 2-4 pages of it and fall asleep...almost 600 pages in the paperback. Once I hit about 375, I finished it in a few hours. The last 150 went really fast. The first 390 pages was nothing but "set up".

It was really different in that it could happen today. The book's premise was that Iran had nukes and they were going to fire them. Ahmendinijad (sp) was the pres of Iran, and the Ayatollah Kohmenni (sp) was the Supreme Leader. There were some very interesting twists....that I could really see actually happening. Which would be terrifyingly catastrophic.

The American President refused to "fire a preemptive strike". What was really scary was how much his attitude - at first - resembled Obama.

I would recommend the book more to someone who has been in the military, has a great deal of nuclear weapon knowledge, or has read a lot of military/spy/etc books. Many of the details would be easier to understand or keep from mixing up, for those with this knowledge. And have nothing else to do, except read for a couple of days.

Starting David Baldacci's Deliver Us from Evil....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2011, 10:59:10 AM »
I just finished "The Dragon Mage" by Katherine Kerr.

WHAT a disappointment. I guess I saw this coming. The whole "Silver Wyrm" subset of the Deverry novels (the last and final books) came off repetitive, rushed, and also obviously having been HEAVILY edited--it's clear that the story of Rhodorix and Hwili was left either unfinished or cut out (I suspect the second), and so we have zero idea of why Branna should feel as if she's repaid a debt. Plus, on its own, the first story in all the Deverry novels of pre-Brangwen/Gerraent/Blaen/Galrion incarnations was so damned irritating for being left unfinished.

The by now tired Horsekin invasion threat was trotted out. It was really time for a resurgence of the Dark Dweomer as a threat, but no, we have to go back to the Horsekin. The Horsekin themselves pretty much became orcs, ie, they die in huge numbers without our knowing them at all, as we did know thme in the wonderful "Days of Air and Darkness." Other characters are unceremoniously introduced and then never heard from again. Main characters are just repeating lines and setups from previous Deverry novels. It stank.

The Deverry saga should have ended at "The Fire Dragon," if this crap is what Kerr slept-wrote for us.

I will say I can heartily recommend everything up to "The Fire Dragon." Of them all, "The Dragon Revenant" remains my favorite.

Offline mamacags

« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »
Just read the newest Alex Cross book.  Cross Fire?  I can't remember.  Anywho... Loved it, the bad guy did something that made me sit up and take notice for a nice change of pace!  The back stories kept my attention too.  I love those books!  I am reading Janet Evanovich's Wicked Appetite right now.  I love her Stephanie Plum books but I can never remember where the story left off or the back stories with the Diesel character.  I am 3/4 of the way through it.  I kinda hope it is a new series.  I can't wait until next Christmas to find out more.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2011, 05:01:46 PM »
"Next" by Michael Creighton.

Read it in the Atlanta Airport last week during a nine hour delay.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »
"Next" by Michael Creighton.

Read it in the Atlanta Airport last week during a nine hour delay.

I never realized Creighton put boobiez in his books?!?! :confused:  :-)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »
Death Echo by Elizabeth Lowell.

M thought this author was a "chick" writer....and some of her books are, but this series, St Kilda's books, isn't. These have blood, gore, suspense.

Just starting Michael Palmer's The Last Surgeon.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2011, 03:34:46 PM »
I just finished book four of the Safehold Saga - A Mighty Fortress - by David Weber.   Anxiously waiting for book five - How Firm A Foundation - which doesn't come out until Fall of this year.

Here's how the author's website describes the series:
The Gbaba have left Earth and her colonies smoldering ruins, and the few survivors have fled to distant, Earth-like Safehold, to try to rebuild. But the Gbaba can detect the emissions of an industrial civilization, so the human rulers of Safehold have taken extraordinary measures to keep Safehold society medieval forever. 800 years later, in a hidden chamber on Safehold, an android from the far human past awakens. Via automated recordings, “Nimue” - or, rather, the android with the memories of Lieutenant Commander Nimue Alban - is told her fate: she will emerge into Safeholdian society, suitably disguised, and begin the process of provoking technological progress which the Church of God Awaiting has worked for centuries to prevent. It's going to be a long, long process.

Good Stuff.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »
I'm reading Terry Pratchett's latest Discworld book, "Unseen Academicals." Started well; I had hope the Discworld series was recapturing some of that magic after the godawful "Monstrous Regiment", the aptly name unbelievably boring "Thud", and the sad sequel to the fantastic "Going Postal", "Making Money." Monstrous Regiment and Thud were both before Going Postal, so when Going Postal came out I really thought Pratchett had that old sidesplitting, tears-down-the-cheeks humor back and that it would STAY back. Then Making Money came out and I thought, "ok, this'll be good, because it has the same main chartacter from Going Postal. Nope. It was dull, took the interesting storyline of the golems and turned it totally absurd, and took the very interesting character of Adora Belle Dearheart and made her a one-dimensional appurtenance to the main character, Moist von Lipwig, who was no longer funny himself. And his interactions with Vetinari went from sidesplitting to grim.

So when Unseen Academicals came out I thought: "this has got to be funny. NO Discworld book centering around the wizards of Unseen University has failed to be hysterical." And I was right, so far as that description went. But the book has devoted far too little of its length to the interplay between the wizards and far too much to the characters Nutt and Glenda. I'm not quite finished, but all in all I feel I'm on firm ground with just about 30 pages to go when I declare this latest Discworld book both a disappointment and a tease, because, damnit, it STARTED well.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
Just started the 3rd Jason Bourne novel.  Ultimatum I think.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: February 15, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »
Just started the 3rd Jason Bourne novel.  Ultimatum I think.

You're reading it, and don't know the title, sir?

I'm currently perusing an atlas of Russian history.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2011, 05:31:10 PM »
Just finished Tom Clancy's Dead or Alive......his first effort in umpteen years.  Although famous fiction writers seem to "jump the shark" after several blockbusters, I can say this is is good, if not his best.  It's a thousand pages, so not suitable for an afternoon at the beach, but well worth the effort.

Kinda a continuation of Rainbow Six, which was his last book, over a decade ago. It's written in collaboration with one of Clive Cussler's associates.

Although well couched, he leaves the reader with the distinct impression of the destain that he feels for our present "president".....

Good read......

doc
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:34:43 PM by TVDOC »

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2011, 05:53:34 PM »
Finished 'Sleepwalkers' and 'The First Rule'.   Can't decide what's next- I have two dozen to choose from.  I confess, I'm a bibliophile.

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #196 on: February 18, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »
Just finished Stephen Hunter's latest "Bob Lee Swagger" novel Dead Zero.  For fans of military/political thrillers, his work is very entertaining.  Any who have read his work are aware that they are inspired by the life and times of the great USMC Sniper, Carlos Hathcock.

In this latest effort, he makes a point to lay considerable scorn on the extreme leftward drift by the media over the last decade  (particularly the New York Times}, as well as pacifist politicians, specifically regarding the war in Afganistan, and the absurd rules of engagement they impose.

All in all, Dead Zero, I think is his best so far.........don't miss it......

doc
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:34:43 PM by TVDOC »

Offline mamacags

« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2011, 06:04:08 PM »
Well I finished all of the Harlan Coben, Myron Bolitar novels.  I seriously LOVED those!  I started a new author yesterday Phillip Margolin.  So far the story line is really good but some of the characters are too soap opera like.  It is the first book though, and since he has a ton of books out I am sure they get much better. 
Winston Churchill

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2011, 07:23:17 PM »
Still in my Hollywood phase, currently reading The Hollywood Book Of Extravagance, next up is Nikki Sixx's The Heroin Diaries.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline seahorse513

• I don't take shit from anyone!!
  • British by birth, American thru naturalization
« Reply #199 on: March 13, 2011, 05:15:13 AM »
Still in my Hollywood phase, currently reading The Hollywood Book Of Extravagance, next up is Nikki Sixx's The Heroin Diaries.

I went to the library yesterday and got like 6 books.(i love to read). I like historical sagas.Reading about women in history.
Bally Girl, I was interested in the Heroin Diaries. Could you send along a synopsis?? I like reading different things. One thing about librarians, though they are well read themselves, they might not read the same material I do, so it makes it hard for them to recommend books to me. I did ask the librarian yesterday about the online library site to automatically recomending books, based on the books one takes out. I did try Marvel(which was recomended by librarian), but unsure how to link the suggestions to my personal online library account as it seems to be a third party.
The sea is treacherous, but an even hand on the keel brings it safely to port.

Nothing is sexier than a man and his gun!!!

A man should prefer his own company to that of others, because no matter where he goes,he'll find himself there..

"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money".  Lady Maggie Thatcher