Author Topic: primitives see eventual end results of their ideology  (Read 732 times)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
primitives see eventual end results of their ideology
« on: December 22, 2008, 08:44:24 AM »
Quote from:
The Straight Story

Outdoor smoking ban under consideration in San Luis Obispo

First smokers were banned from lighting up inside, now San Luis Obispo considers putting a stop to smoking outside.

In 1990 the city passed a ban on smoking in public buildings, including bars and restaurants. It was the first of its kind in the country.

California adopted a statewide law in 1994, adding bars to that list four years later.

San Luis Obispo City Council members are considering a ban on outdoor smoking in public places. It is an issue that has some smokers fuming. Talk of a ban on smoking outside in San Luis Obispo has some smokers fearing some of their personal freedoms are vanishing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28305915/

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4698754

Quote from:
Warpy

3. This is excessive and I say that as someone who is terribly allergic to tobacco smoke. In fact, I hate tobacco smoke. I would be thrilled if some horrible disease wiped out every tobacco plant on the planet tomorrow.

However, as much as I dislike smelling it outdoors, it is not concentrated enough to trigger a severe allergic reaction. I really can't see any basis for banning it outdoors on health grounds because it isn't concentrated enough to be that big a health hazard, certainly no more so than any other air pollutant.

I'm a big girl. I can put up with an unpleasant smell now and then. The loss of freedom for people to socialize outdoors while they smoke is the kind of silly overkill that will start a backlash against the sensible regulation of it indoors in public spaces.

I hope they don't pass this stinker of a law. It smells worse than the smoke does.

Quote from:
RainDog

4. ****ing totalitarian assholes

the left can be and is just as bad as the right about a range of issues.

Quote from:
DJ13

6. Im always amazed at how totalitarian formerly liberal areas have become

The place still has echoes of their former 60's liberalism in the various shops, and its a shame how far from their former ideals they've turned after reaching middle age.

They convince themselves that the "progressive changes" they want to make won't continue to become more and more repressive through the years, yet here's the evidence right in front of them that's not the case.  Some acknowledge it, but they don't have the mental capacity to carry it over to their other issues and see that the end result will be far beyond what they had hoped it would be.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline jinxmchue

Re: primitives see eventual end results of their ideology
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:06:04 AM »
Didn't we say this would happen?  Didn't we say once they banned smoking in bars and restaurants, they'd move on to banning it outdoors?  Yes, I think we did and we were laughed at for it.  "Slippery slope!" they guffawed.  And now it's happening exactly as we predicted.

**** you, liberals.  YOU are the ones who started us down this road, so just shut up and lay in the bed you made while we try to fix your mess.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »
Guess what libs? That same slippery slope you created with cigarette smoking will be reinvented with marriage. Will you be all outraged when the first person marries his sister or his dog? Even though we tell you it's coming you choose not to believe and then we are all, conservative and liberal alike, are stuck with the consequences you opt to ignore.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:25:25 AM »
Guess what libs? That same slippery slope you created with cigarette smoking will be reinvented with marriage. Will you be all outraged when the first person marries his sister or his dog? Even though we tell you it's coming you choose not to believe and then we are all, conservative and liberal alike, are stuck with the consequences you opt to ignore.

It's already happened.  We warned that if gay marriage is enacted, then polygamists will be next in line to demand the "right" to marry.  When the Netherlands legalized gay marriage, it wasn't long before a man demanded, and got, the "right" to marry two women.

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
Scratch a liberal, find a fascist.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.