Author Topic: primitive's daughter splatters paint on nice bureau  (Read 655 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive's daughter splatters paint on nice bureau
« on: December 11, 2008, 08:59:33 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=287x7164

Oh my.

What kids do these days.

Melissa G  (1000+ posts)        Sun Nov-30-08 11:07 PM
Original message

My daughter has dried tempera paint on a nice dresser.

Any tips for how to get it off wood with the least amount of damage?

Wash. state Desk Jet  (1000+ posts)      Mon Dec-01-08 02:09 AM
Response to Original message

1. Should wash off

Try some house hold cleaner ,simple green , windex, clean rags, a little solvent,whatever products you have around the house,or all of them,what ever works. Should dissolve and wash off.Have a putty knife ?, that should help.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Dec-01-08 12:41 PM
Response to Original message

2. I'd probably try a plastic spatula first

you know, one of those nylon things that doesn't scratch Teflon. I'd use it very carefully to avoid scratching the finish.

After getting all the surface stuff off, take the rest off with a rag dampened in a mixture of water and oil soap.

Melissa G  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-02-08 11:58 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. I found an article that suggests hot water and mild soapy detergent

It was a restoration article. I'll probably try your approach first. I tried some scraping on the metal handle and did not get very far, so I'm not thinking the more delicate wood is gonna fair better.

Wash. state Desk Jet  (1000+ posts)      Wed Dec-03-08 01:25 AM
Response to Reply #3

5. Joy dish soap has methyl alcohol in it

try some of that with hot water .Commercial fisherman use joy to break up fuel spills . And ah, it works ! And in cold water too !

Also you can buy a can of furniture restore a finish,about $10.00 home depot. You wipe it on with a clean rag, it restores the original finish. Has various properties in it, including some stain. It does what it says it does. So worry not about the finish look, it can be easily restored.Which is to say, you may have to go after it with some serious elbow grease, or abrasive pad if necessary. Or solvents,even lacquer thinner if necessary.

The next step up from there is Goof Off paint and graffiti remover- home depot or lowe's paint department. There is something in a spray can to remove most anything ! Good Luck. And I think in the Goof Off product line there is a specific for that particular problem.Talk to a sales rep. or google Goof Off's product lines.

Mission accomplished:

Melissa G  (1000+ posts)        Wed Dec-10-08 10:49 PM
Response to Reply #7

8. For the record... Joy and hot water work well! Thanks!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RobJohnson

Re: primitive's daughter splatters paint on nice bureau
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 01:43:58 AM »
Joy and hot water got it off.  :evillaugh: