The Bar > The Lounge

RIP Norm Macdonald - And some of his best OJ jokes that got him fired from SNL

(1/2) > >>

Ralph Wiggum:
Was so saddened to hear that beloved Canadian comic and Saturday Night Live Weekend Update host Norm Macdonald passed away this afternoon at age 61.

--- Quote ---'SNL' alum Norm Macdonald dead at 61
The comedian was privately battling cancer

Norm Macdonald, known for his time on "Saturday Night Live," has died, Fox News can confirm. He was 61 years old.

According to Deadline, the comedian had been privately battling cancer for nine years.

Macdonald's longtime producing partner and friend Lori Jo Hoekstra was reportedly at his side when he passed.

Macdonald was the son of two schoolteachers raised in Quebec City, Canada, and worked as a standup comic before starting out as a writer on "Roseanne" in 1992.

Then, he became an "SNL" cast member from 1993 until 1999. He famously anchored the show's Weekend Update sketch for three seasons and was replaced by Colin Quinn.

Macdonald became known for his esoteric impressions, including Burt Reynolds, who gave Will Ferrell’s Alex Trebek character grief on "Celebrity Jeopardy." He also impersonated Bob Dole, Larry King and David Letterman.
--- End quote ---

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/norm-macdonald-dead

His sardonic and dry wit was hilarious, although admittedly not everyone's cup of tea.

You provided millions of us with your humor, Norm.  May you rest in peace.   A very nice compilation of his jokes regarding OJ Simpson that eventually got him fired.

https://youtu.be/2SSVIg4Noqc

enslaved1:
That's why there was some old butthurt popping up in my feeds about a joke he cracked on Weekend Update about the murder of a transexual 25 years ago.  Looking at it, it wasn't good taste, but man, the left sure keeps iron grips on grudges don't they?

One of the last funny cast members I remember from SNL.  Haven't watched it in decades.  He was still a bit player who popped in every once in a while. 

Eupher:
Never heard of the guy until yesterday. To me, SNL stopped being funny about the time Eddie Murphy was active, but even then, the original cast of Belushi, Aykroyd, Newman (drugged out zombie that she was), Curtin, Chase, Morris, Murray, and Radner was the best.

Ralph Wiggum:

--- Quote from: enslaved1 on September 15, 2021, 12:04:06 PM ---That's why there was some old butthurt popping up in my feeds about a joke he cracked on Weekend Update about the murder of a transexual 25 years ago.  Looking at it, it wasn't good taste, but man, the left sure keeps iron grips on grudges don't they?

One of the last funny cast members I remember from SNL.  Haven't watched it in decades.  He was still a bit player who popped in every once in a while.

--- End quote ---

I'm sure every comedian has said something that some blue checkmark Twitter jagoff would try to destroy them for saying in jest once.

Norm was in the era post Mike Myers/Dana Carvey/Phil Hartman/Jon Lovitz.  His cast members were sufficiently raunchy, including Sandler/Spade/Farley/Chris Rock.  Norm was not an actor, much like Dennis Miller so rarely was used in skits but could write monologues and perform Weekend Update.

Ralph Wiggum:

--- Quote from: Eupher on September 15, 2021, 01:03:08 PM ---Never heard of the guy until yesterday. To me, SNL stopped being funny about the time Eddie Murphy was active, but even then, the original cast of Belushi, Aykroyd, Newman (drugged out zombie that she was), Curtin, Chase, Morris, Murray, and Radner was the best.

--- End quote ---

Hey, it is all about the generation that one grew up in.  Was only a kid during the beginning of SNL, but have watched those episodes and it is still funny as hell.

Was in my 20's when Norm/Spade/Sandler/Farley were on the show, and it was appointment TV on Saturday nights.

Agreed that SNL always continues to go downhill.  Tried to watch a few times in the past decade, usually if there was an interesting guest host.  But otherwise, it is a complete dumpster fire.  Watched when Eddie Murphy hosted a while back, and comedian Bill Burr as well.  The entire show has become a woke-a-thon and not even entertaining.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version