Author Topic: I'm sure this will draw fire, but "been there, done that"  (Read 383 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
I'm sure this will draw fire, but "been there, done that"
« on: July 28, 2021, 07:10:50 PM »
Star Member Atticus (11,275 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215672972

I'm sure this will draw fire, but "been there, done that".
How can we criticize anti-vaxxers and such as "anti-science" while featuring political opinions based on astrology?

Astrology may be an amusing pastime for some, but it has NO scientific validity and is considered "peudoscience". It is just as unscientific---and unreliable---as forecasting election results by "reading the entrails of an owl".

To those about to respond that I "just don't understand", you are correct. I also don't understand palm reading and "psychic hotlines". That doesn't mean I can't criticize them and say they are bunk.

I am sorry if that offends some here, but what I just said is factual.

Oooo.....  :popcorn:

Star Member lapfog_1 (25,256 posts)

1. mostly harmless versus not.

anti-vaxxers are killing people with their actions and words.

Astrologers are mostly harmless. And those they do "harm" are only the believers.

:whatever:

Star Member Polly Hennessey (4,156 posts)

7. Careful, you may be branded as

insensitive by some and receive a rather hurtful slap/hit on the wrist. Opinions must conform.

Star Member Bettie (11,574 posts)

8. Which political opinions have you seen that are based on astrology, palm reading, or psychics. I mean, maybe from Marianne Williamson, but around here?

Aside from an occasional comment that "Mercury is in retrograde", which is the equivalent of "Jeez, must be a full moon!" I don't think many people seriously base their political opinions on such things.

I'm not offended, I'm kind of confused as to where you are getting the impression that even a significant minority of people here base their politics on astrology.

11. I don't really want to personalize my criticism, but suffice it to say that a prominent Republican

was recently said to be "in trouble" due to----planetary or stellar or whatever relationships.

Star Member CrackityJones75 (586 posts)

18. Who said it?

Another politician? A pundit? A poster here?

20. It was here. nt

Star Member brooklynite (71,614 posts)

23. In which case its a public discussion and you can provide a link.

That said, are you concerned about ONE post? If so, perhaps your complaint should be addressed there.

Oh... so like if just a few people spout some sort of nonsense (say... neo-nazis for example ... you shouldn't paint he entire right side of the aisle as fascists?)

:whatever:

27. I could, yes, but I won't, as I explain in #11. Either I read that here on DU or I am a liar.

You and other readers of this thread can decide.

My intent was not to embarrass or ridicule the DUer who posted what I referenced. I think the broader issue is whether any of us should acquiesce in astrological pseudoscience as something worth considering.

Star Member brooklynite (71,617 posts)

33. I understand that, but ONE person's comment doesn't seem to warrant a general admonition.

All Republicans are NAZIs!!!! because this one guy I read about was like... you know... Henry Ford, or something...

Star Member Scrivener7 (37,443 posts)

32. Are you beginning to see the ridiculousness of the "I have a problem about something, but

I'm not going to tell you anything about it" position?

34. No, but I do concede that I had no idea that there would be quite so many posters determined to either defend astrology or challenge criticism of it.

As I said elsewhere, you are free to decide that the post I refuse to put a spotlight on does not exist and that I am, therefore, a liar.

37. I don't doubt that the post exists, but when I said, "So this is about one post?" you said "No."

In no way do I think you are lying, but none of this makes much sense, and there is little in the way of discussion to be had about it because we are not privy to any information about it.

It really isn't weird to wonder what your post refers to.

39. So here is what I think given the information you have provided.

For over 40 years, I bled in time with the phases of the moon. So I'm not one to dismiss out of hand the idea that celestial bodies might have an effect on us.

From what I have read about astrology, it seems to have a lot to do with archetypes, and I do think archetypes are very psychologically satisfying (which is why they are archetypes) and as such, they are influential in our psychology. Really, if you think about it, a lot of spiritual systems are similarly based on archetypes, and those are allowed forums and discussions here.

Others know more about astrology than I do, and some of those who do seem to feel it helps them in some way. I'm not going to dis that any more than I am going to dis beliefs in particular deities or religions.

I think all posters with religious beliefs base a lot of their political opinions on those beliefs. I know I am a liberal Democrat because of what I believe.

So I disagree with you. I don't think following astrology makes anyone any less able to appreciate and understand vaccines than, say, a belief in Jesus does.

40. As I have clearly stated, people are free to believe and take comfort from whatever they choose.

Saying that I don't believe in astrology is no more "dissing" it than saying I am not a Catholic is "dissing" that faith.

But, the position of the planets is no more support for a political opinion than the pronouncement of the "infallible" Pope.

Star Member Bayard (12,378 posts)

9. What brought this on?

And now we'll see how many posts it take before someone says Atticus is a VRWRussiantroll...

Champp (755 posts)

12. An opportunity to toss chum into the Waters of Division?

That good old impulse to dump on something that you haven't looked into thoroughly or systematically, but deserves a good trashing just for the divisive hell of it?

Kinda seems like that.

one.

Star Member Crunchy Frog (24,376 posts)

43. Huh? nt

:rotf:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: I'm sure this will draw fire, but "been there, done that"
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 07:51:03 PM »
Star Member lapfog_1 (25,256 posts)
anti-vaxxers are killing people with their actions and words.

I wonder if Star Member lapfog_1 has heard of arch-anti-vaxxer Robert Fitzgerald Kennedy Jr.? :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline BamaMoose

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 09:14:11 PM »
They promoted this every month for the entirety of Trump's presidency:

BigmanPigman (42,569 posts)

It is now "cool" to hex tRump with binding spells each month.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/28/year-in-patriarchy-arwa-mahdawi

"Witches went mainstream"
"2019 might have been the year women went “full witch” and occultism became cool. The Democratic process proving slow and unwieldy, “resistance witches” turned to hexes and binding spells to try and get rid of Trump. Perhaps they are having an effect; the man has spent a large portion of the year screaming “WITCH-HUNT”.

On DU we have been "binding" tRump since Feb., 2017. The next spell will be on Jan., 28, 2020. The dates for 2020 are: Jan. 28, Feb. 20, March 21, April 19, May 19, June 18, July 17, Aug.15, Sept.14, Oct.13, Nov.12 and Dec.11. The dates are three days before the "new moon" each month.

https://extranewsfeed.com/a-spell-to-bind-donald-trump-and-all-those-who-abet-him-february-24th-mass-ritual-51f3d94f62f4

https://www.democraticunderground.com/12192427

After all of the various weird beliefs that they espouse, all of a sudden they are concerned with being seen as kooks. :rofl:

Offline Ferrance

• Signing the Blue State Blues
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 07:59:28 PM »
Of course the DUmmies believe in pseudo-science. They think boys are girls and vice-versa, climate is gonna kill us and whatever the CDC can spin on their Wheel of Fauci
The Democratic party is longest running racist organization in the country. Going strong for over 200 years.