Author Topic: House Votes to Make Juneteenth a Holiday, Bill Goes to Biden  (Read 733 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
The voting on this absolute stupidity is outrageous.

The legislation to establish the Juneteenth National Independence Day passed 415-14 on Wednesday, a day after it cleared the Senate by unanimous consent.

There are a couple voices of sanity in Congress on this stupidity, but those voices have been drowned out by the identity politics and virtue-signaling crowd.

I remember in the early 80s when there was LOTS of debate about creating yet another federal holiday -- this one for Martin Luther King. In the end, it was a trade-off. They converted Washington's birthday in January to King's very own holiday  :whatever: and combined Washington and Lincoln's birthdays and made it "President's Day" in February. That way there was no appreciable impact to the COST of implementing yet another holiday to the system.

But, as Senator Johnson from Wisconsin noted after the Senate acted unanimously after Johnson dropped his objection:

“... I objected to the cost and lack of debate,” Johnson said in a statement Tuesday. “While it still seems strange that having taxpayers provide federal employees paid time off is now required to celebrate the end of slavery, it is clear that there is no appetite in Congress to further discuss the matter.”

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/northam-pol-top-us/2021/06/16/id/1025376/
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 09:42:43 AM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: House Votes to Make Juneteenth a Holiday, Bill Goes to Biden
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 08:45:38 AM »
I'm for this is if ends the reparations debate for once and for all.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 09:41:49 AM »
I'm for this is if ends the reparations debate for once and for all.

Of course you know that leftist demands NEVER cease. This idiotic bill, which President * will no doubt sign into law, will not only keep the reparations schtick alive, the leftists will dream up another faux outrage to bilk us out of our money via more taxes.

There is no end to it.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 09:54:12 AM »
My opinion is that they should've made it a holiday in 1880 or something, if they were that way inclined. 

Since they didn't, then permanently stovepipe the idea.   

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 10:41:29 AM »
Here's Babylon Bee's reaction to this insanity:

WASHINGTON, D.C.—The Senate has unanimously passed a resolution to recognize Juneteenth as a federal holiday, commemorating the glorious day Republicans freed the last of the Democrats' slaves.

"We are so proud to show the world how not racist we are by officially recognizing the day the Republicans came charging in to free all our slaves," said Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer. "Yeah-- we Democrats did a little 'whoopsie' with that whole slavery thing, but the Republicans corrected it. Thanks, Republicans!"

During this year's Juneteenth, the nation will gather to celebrate the American political party that was founded on protecting human rights of people of all skin colors. Democrats around the country will write letters of apology and organize celebrations for the vast network of Christians, Catholics, Quakers, and Republicans who fought and died to end the scourge of slavery in America.

Congress has also approved the building of a giant elephant statue in D.C. to honor the party responsible for the freeing of slaves from Democrat plantations.

Biden has confirmed he will organize a celebration at the White House after he lays a wreath on the grave of his best friend Robert Byrd.

https://babylonbee.com/news/congress-passes-law-to-recognize-juneteenth-the-day-republicans-freed-all-the-democrats-slaves

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 10:46:21 AM »
No big deal, their not making it a federal holiday.  We have national ice cream day, hot dog day etc.

CHILL OUT.

Gimme me a pigfoot and a bottle of beer, check all your razors and your guns, we're gonna be arrested when the wagon comes.

Billie Holiday

Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 10:52:27 AM »
No big deal, their not making it a federal holiday.  We have national ice cream day, hot dog day etc.

CHILL OUT.

This ain't ice cream, old dog 2.

From the article:

Juneteenth would become the 11th annual national holiday on the federal calendar. Federal employees would be given June 19 -- or the Friday or Monday closest to it -- as a paid day off.

You may want to read the entire article.

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 11:26:44 AM »
I missed that.  They'll probably want to 86 an existing holiday  Maybe merge Memorial day and Veteran's Day like the did with Washington and Lincoln's birthdays.
Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 12:45:09 PM »
So what happens to that New Jersey school that removed all federal holidays from their calendar, and just put in "Day Off" in its place?

Will there be outrage if Juneteenth isn't actually called by its name?

None of this solves anything.  That is the liberal intent, they can't actually accomplish anything but meaningless gestures and empty words and symbolism.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 01:52:31 PM »
I missed that.  They'll probably want to 86 an existing holiday  Maybe merge Memorial day and Veteran's Day like the did with Washington and Lincoln's birthdays.

Nope.  Gotta have a new day for Hennessy, MD 20/20 and Schlitz Malt Liquor 40s.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 03:34:18 PM »

The legislation, as written, is past both houses of Congress. No talk of combining anything, so that idea apparently - as mentioned by Sen. Johnson - wasn't even broached. It certainly isn't part of the legislation.

Nope. The virtue signalers and identity politics wonks get to pat themselves on the back and say that this is yet another shiv in the back of - snort - "white supremacy."

Oh, at taxpayer's expense, of course.  :whatever:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 03:38:45 PM »
So what happens to that New Jersey school that removed all federal holidays from their calendar, and just put in "Day Off" in its place?

Will there be outrage if Juneteenth isn't actually called by its name?

None of this solves anything.  That is the liberal intent, they can't actually accomplish anything but meaningless gestures and empty words and symbolism.

The real tragedy is the vote tally. Just look at all the Repubs who signed onto this steaming pile of bullshit. From the article, you get the impression that the ONLY person questioning this asinine legislation was Sen. Johnson (R-WI) and even he realized it was a lost cause. Senate voted UNANIMOUSLY to accept this garbage.

This is inexcusable when the Repubs - again - just lie down on the floor with their bellies exposed waiting for the coup de gras.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 03:06:07 PM »
Nope.  Gotta have a new day for Hennessy, MD 20/20 and Schlitz Malt Liquor 40s.

Don't forget to riot, loot, burn and drive by shooting.

This is inexcusable when the Repubs - again - just lie down on the floor with their bellies exposed waiting for the coup de gras.

The r's don't give a shit, they still have their seat on the gravy train. It's pay to play as usual.

Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!