Author Topic: I'd like to see gas attendants again  (Read 855 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
I'd like to see gas attendants again
« on: April 30, 2021, 04:01:40 PM »
Star Member Marthe48 (6,563 posts)

I'd like to see gas attendants again

I had to get my car filled up today, and ran some other errands, including a curbside pickup. I thought about how you can get your shopping done for you and set in your car. I haven't had to go to a food bank, but heard President Biden mention cars lined up at food banks, waiting for someone to put a box of food in the back. I thought, why not have gas attendants? At least while the pandemic rages.
It would employ some people, and add some social distancing.

:whatever:

at $15.00 an hour...

Star Member brooklynite (69,740 posts)

1. How much additional would you pay for gas?

21. I don't buy it often

I have a Prius, and on top of that have hardly been out in the last year. Price would be a concern. But if the gas stations hired a couple of people to cover shifts, and an attendant was optional, I don't think it would add that much to the price. Seems like the overworked clerks would appreciate having help.

I saw people posting on DU the other days about how much their meal at McD's cost. I stopped eating fast food about 1 1/2 years ago, so I thought the current prices are steep. Gas is a necessity and fast food isn't, so there's that. Lots of ways to look at it.

When gas went to over $6/gal in CA around 2012, the highest we paid in OH was 4.21/gal. We got the Prius that year, plus as we got older, drove less.

:loser:

Star Member doc03 (27,519 posts)

2. I would like to call consumer help and push one

for English and get someone that can actually speak English.

:popcorn:

CabbageAndBeans (26 posts)

3. Pretty sure New Jersey still does not allow you to pump your own gas.

Maybe someone from NJ could chime in on the pros and cons from a cost/employment perspective.

Yup

Star Member PCIntern (21,437 posts)

13. I live in NJ now..

It’s like the old days (no self service) here and our gas prices are a little lower than PA but they used to be a LOT lower.

Star Member LizBeth (8,222 posts)

17. Gets jobs and especially for an age that now needs to continue working, without any sort of retire

cause we po. I am good with it. And Oregon is also increasing minimum wage yearly. So, I am good with it. I might be doing it. A job my body and brain can still do and they will hire this old ass.

:whatever:

Star Member LizBeth (8,222 posts)

19. Will at least pay 12.75 in July. Jobs.

Star Member LakeArenal (17,239 posts)

18. Here in Costa Rica you can't pump your own.

They’ll wash windshields, check oil, tire air and the are nice and polite while they do it.
To us Gringos, we feel like we have to tip.
Also restaurants add a ten percent gratuity required by law. We always give a bit more but don’t feel obligated to do so. Most Ticos do not leave tips.

PS... This is off topic but I can’t resist.

THERE ARE NOOOO PHARMACEUTICAL COMMERCIALS HERE.

:yawn:

Star Member moonscape (3,367 posts)

20. Remembering when they were transitioning to self serve and thete were pumps where the gas was a bit higher for full-serve like the old days and cheaper self-serve. Self serve won. Those other pumps languished mostly ...

:yawn:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: I'd like to see gas attendants again
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 04:21:11 PM »
Star Member doc03 (27,519 posts)

2. I would like to call consumer help and push one

for English and get someone that can actually speak English.

wow.  racist much?  Don't like brown accents when speaking to someone?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 09:09:58 PM »
Want to see gas station attendants to pump your gas so you don't have to get off your lazy ass and do it yourself? Move to Oregon you waste of skin.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 08:34:49 AM »
The rest of the normal country would just like to see gas back at $2/gal and this primitive wants black and brown people to wait on her hand and foot at the gas station.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 09:03:01 AM »
The rest of the normal country would just like to see gas back at $2/gal and this primitive wants black and brown people to wait on her hand and foot at the gas station.

Tee gas station that I go to has rubber gloves available at the pump for those people that are worried about contact transference. I have not seen one single person use the gloves.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 09:07:40 AM »

Tee gas station that I go to has rubber gloves available at the pump for those people that are worried about contact transference. I have not seen one single person use the gloves.

:rotf: I don't even know if the stations around me have gloves. :rotf: Never looked for them. :rotf:

There are probably DU-grade paranoids who will be wearing masks for years to come.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 11:27:03 AM »
There are probably DU-grade paranoids who will be wearing masks for years to come.

And going Karen and Chad on those who refuse to join them in their stupidity.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 12:00:27 PM »
We had a semi-regional gas station that offered to pump your gas for you. The self service traffic was out to the road usually while the attended ones were sparse at best
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 12:02:37 PM »
And going Karen and Chad on those who refuse to join them in their stupidity.
With nearly 26 million Americans having recovered from Covid and about 149 million having received at least one vax dose, Karen and Chad are going to hear invitations to self-copulate more and more frequently.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 01:32:24 PM »

I'd like to see paying $10 a gallon for gas

Fixed. 

Nothing prevents you from just tipping the "evil" gas stations and shopkeeper if that makes you feel better.  Because that's all libs have are emotions and feelings, not the cold hard truth of reality.

Reminds me a bit of Barack H.O. saying that gas prices must necessarily be raised (something to that effect).
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 10:46:51 AM »
:rotf: I don't even know if the stations around me have gloves. :rotf: Never looked for them. :rotf:

It's true.  I fully expect many Liberals to continue wearing masks long after the mask mandates that are in place get lifted. They are that stupid.
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 01:24:20 PM »
Nothing prevents you from just tipping the "evil" gas stations and shopkeeper if that makes you feel better.

I'm sure that the Martha primitive will have her gas jockeys again, once she and the public demonstrate they're willing to pay a dollar or two more for a gallon of gasoline.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 02:12:52 PM »
With nearly 26 million Americans having recovered from Covid and about 149 million having received at least one vax dose, Karen and Chad are going to hear invitations to self-copulate more and more frequently.

And have their storied exposed on r/entitled persons, which is a win for me hearing them read on YouTube channels like RSlash, Daily Dose of Reddit and Red Wheel.