Author Topic: Term Limits, Now and Forever  (Read 902 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Term Limits, Now and Forever
« on: March 21, 2021, 07:13:42 AM »
This article represents an idea that is completely pie-in-the-sky and it will never see the light of day (unless the zombie horde in D.C. is truly swept away like the vermin they are), but I like the argument.

Especially meaningful is the entire idea that the framers never intended a class of elitist professional politicians. In fact, serving as a representative or senator was deemed a public duty and a service to the country rather than an attraction.

The Geezer Factor will ensure that the elites remain in power and term limits -- while a nice idea -- nope. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Yeah, I know the other argument -- "Elections are the built-in term limits! If you don't like 'em, vote 'em out!" That's a nice sentiment, but the fact remains that those who suck-seed succeed in getting to the elite class (irrespective of party) generally stay in power due to the power of their party. Those who play ball mostly will be reelected unless they fall out of favor with the party or do something completely outrageously stupid.

https://townhall.com/columnists/jeffdavidson/2021/03/21/terms-limits-now-and-forever-n2586549?utm_source=thdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&newsletterad=03/21/2021&bcid=54b311e9e985a52310aeaad8e21af0fc&recip=19794211
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Re: Term Limits, Now and Forever
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 08:15:41 AM »
Don't states have the power to pass their own term limits on their congress critters?  I realize that would not happen (or be allowed) in places like California, but if enough other states did it on their own, that would cut down some of the career politicians. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 04:30:31 PM »
Don't states have the power to pass their own term limits on their congress critters?  I realize that would not happen (or be allowed) in places like California, but if enough other states did it on their own, that would cut down some of the career politicians.

I could be dead wrong on this, but the individual states cannot stipulate the terms of FEDERAL representatives and senators. Those terms of office are directed by the Constitution - 2 years for reps, 6 years for senators, with no language in COTUS as to term limits. That would take a constitutional amendment to make happen.

More than term limits, I would favor repeal of the 17th amendment. That would revert the election of senators to the state legislatures, which was what the framers intended and approved. The 17th amendment was meant to cut down cronyism (and it may have to some degree), but what you wind up with is state legislatures who are essentially stripped of their power at the federal level. So much for checks and balances....

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 05:42:38 PM »
I could be dead wrong on this, but the individual states cannot stipulate the terms of FEDERAL representatives and senators. Those terms of office are directed by the Constitution - 2 years for reps, 6 years for senators, with no language in COTUS as to term limits. That would take a constitutional amendment to make happen.....

I agree; the problem used to be with lifetime sinecured state and local politicians--and still is, in blue states--but now it's the lifetime sinecured federal politicians--again, mostly from blue states.  Massachusetts, Maryland, Illinois, &c., &c., &c.

And a constitutional amendment is needed to address this angle of the problem. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline enslaved1

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 08:48:26 AM »
The general, originalist view of the Constitution follows the 10th amendment, which says powers not given to the feds by the COTUS belong to the states, correct?  Which would imply that if the COTUS doesn't say states can't put term limits on Congress, and doesn't say the feds can, the power reverts to the states.

Seriously checking my understanding of the wording, and fully aware of how far away the country in general has moved away from that originalist interpretation of the Constitution.  An amendment would likely be needed to pound the idea into the heads of many, but I don't think it should be. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 06:24:48 PM »
The general, originalist view of the Constitution follows the 10th amendment, which says powers not given to the feds by the COTUS belong to the states, correct?  Which would imply that if the COTUS doesn't say states can't put term limits on Congress, and doesn't say the feds can, the power reverts to the states.

Seriously checking my understanding of the wording, and fully aware of how far away the country in general has moved away from that originalist interpretation of the Constitution.  An amendment would likely be needed to pound the idea into the heads of many, but I don't think it should be.

Apparently the idea of term limits has been broached before, and decided upon, by SCOTUS:

There Have Been Congressional Term Limits
Senators and Representatives from 23 states faced term limits from 1990 to 1995, when the U.S. Supreme Court declared the practice unconstitutional with its decision in the case of U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton.

In a 5-4 majority opinion written by Justice John Paul Stevens, the Supreme Court ruled that the states could not impose congressional term limits because the Constitution simply did not grant them the power to do so.

In his majority opinion, Justice Stevens noted that allowing the states to impose term limits would result in "a patchwork of state qualifications" for members of the U.S. Congress, a situation he suggested would be inconsistent with "the uniformity and national character that the framers sought to ensure." In a concurring opinion, Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote that state-specific term limits would jeopardize the "relationship between the people of the Nation and their National Government."

Term Limits and the Constitution
The Founding Fathers - the people who wrote the Constitution - did, in fact, consider and reject the idea of congressional term limits. In Federalist Papers No. 53, James Madison, father of the Constitution, explained why the Constitutional Convention of 1787 rejected term limits.

"[A] few of the members of Congress will possess superior talents; will by frequent re-elections, become members of long standing; will be thoroughly masters of the public business, and perhaps not unwilling to avail themselves of those advantages. The greater the proportion of new members of Congress, and the less the information of the bulk of the members, the more apt they be to fall into the snares that may be laid before them," wrote Madison.

So, the only way to impose term limits on Congress is to amend the Constitution, which is exactly what two current members of Congress are trying to do, according to About U.S. Politics expert Tom Murse.

emphasis is mine.

https://www.thoughtco.com/why-no-term-limits-for-congress-3974547

Offline enslaved1

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 08:37:30 AM »
Apparently the idea of term limits has been broached before, and decided upon, by SCOTUS:

emphasis is mine.

https://www.thoughtco.com/why-no-term-limits-for-congress-3974547

Well, I learned my something new for the day already, and it's still early  :-)  Thanks for the info.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 02:47:10 PM »
Back in the early 90s, Tom Foley sued his own state when they passed term Limits that saw him forced to leave office:

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19930527&slug=1703552
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 07:58:21 PM »
Back in the early 90s, Tom Foley sued his own state when they passed term Limits that saw him forced to leave office:

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19930527&slug=1703552

Foley apparently got caught up to some level in the term limits issue, but even as Speaker, he was defeated in his reelection bid in 1994.

Foley, a Dem, had his ass parked in the house for 30 years before, according to Slick Willie, Foley's stance on the Assault Weapons Ban convinced the voters to oust his ass anyway, term limits or not.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 08:01:12 PM by Eupher »