Author Topic: Congressman recounts China trip  (Read 1017 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Congressman recounts China trip
« on: July 17, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »
I get his newsletter. Go check it out. Snippets below... I can't help but think about the DUmmies and their eagerness to have all of us live under oppressive rule.

http://wolf.house.gov/uploads/China2008TripReport-Enews.pdf

This report provides details of my trip to Beijing, China, June 28 - July 1, 2008. I was
accompanied by Rep. Chris Smith of New Jersey, a senior Republican on the House Foreign
Affairs Committee and a member of the Congressional-Executive Commission on China
(CECC), which monitors human rights and the development of the rule of law in China.

Among the reasons for my recent trip was to visit a Protestant “house church,” sometimes
also referred to as an underground church since the Chinese government refuses to recognize
these as legitimate places of worship. They are called “house churches” because they often meet
in private houses or apartments. Sadly, their members are regularly harassed, detained and often
jailed by the government.

Rep. Smith and I also wanted to meet with Chinese political dissidents in their homeland,
visit an Internet café to see if access to certain Web sites is blocked by the government and
witness firsthand the human rights conditions which many groups such as Human Rights Watch
and Reporters Without Borders claim to have deteriorated in the run-up to the 2008 Summer
Olympics.

We were only able to visit one “house church” and only then for a brief period of time
because we were followed to the site by the Chinese state security services. The members of the
congregation wanted us to stay, but we did not want to put any of them at risk of being targeted
for punishment by the government.

It should be noted that the Chinese security police followed us to every meeting we had
and we suspect listened in on all our conversations judging from questions we received from
Chinese officials which could only have been known from monitoring our private conversations.

We also visited an Internet café to see if access to the Internet was restricted by the
Chinese government. It was. We tried to access a number of different Web sites, including the
National Endowment for Democracy, information about the Dali Lama and media sites including
Voice of America and Reporters Without Borders. None of the sites would allow us access. All
came up with an error message. It was interesting to note that in order for us to gain access to a
computer, we had to provide a copy of our passports.

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Congressman recounts China trip
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:43:44 PM »
This stupid Opera browser won't let me open the link. 

Anyone gotta better browser?

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:38 PM »
You don't need to change yer' browser LU. Go to this site, download and install the Adobe Reader plugin, restart yer' browser and enjoy PDF goodness!  :-)
http://www.opera.com/docs/plugins/
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:30:24 PM »

Yeah, Mozilla Firefox.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site