Author Topic: Trip - You and Yellowstone  (Read 60015 times)

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: Trip - You and Yellowstone
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2011, 10:26:05 PM »
:rotf:

Security Violation
Security Violation
All hands stand fast
do not move about the ship
Marine Detachment Report to security post 1

-thats all I remember
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2011, 10:28:29 PM »
Security Violation
Security Violation
All hands stand fast
do not move about the ship
Marine Detachment Report to security post 1

-thats all I remember

I can promise you that I was one of those that was not stupid enough to move.

:-)
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2011, 10:34:11 PM »
I can promise you that I was one of those that was not stupid enough to move.

:-)

There were plenty that did.
nine eleven is a car

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2011, 10:41:17 PM »
No, you Brownshoed cretin, I was merely making a point.

:tongue:

And i really don't want to hear an aircraft tender rider whine about heavy seas.  Ride out 3 typhoons on a LST and get back to me, sissy-mary.

Bitchslap for being a carrier rider.

:fuelfire:

OHHHH.......... major BITCHSLAPS for ASSUMING!! The closest I got to a carrier were the Tarawa (LHA), the Tripoli & the New Orleans (LPH). The majority of my time was spent on supply ships!! 

Ohhh, and I rode out a typhoon on an AFS, so :evilbird:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2011, 10:59:06 PM »
Super Volcano Hazards

1) Initial explosive shockwave, magma flow and ejecta.

2) pyroclastic flow

3) Volcanic Ash

Volcanic ash is the result of the violent explosion of rock, forming minute shards of glass with jagged edges, which is obviously not soluble in water. Just a few inches of this can collapse a roof. Add water to this and it will certainly collapse a roof and many structures. The evident voids and fissures seen in the image below quite a job holding water, making saturated ash accumulation extremely heavy.

Moist ash, resting on power lines, would short insulators, and cut off power to large portions of the country.

If volcanic ash gets in one's lungs, a person can easily suffocate from that ash, which again will not dissolve in body fluids.

However if one only inhales some ash, but does not die from immediate suffocation, that jagged ash particulate will lacerate the lungs, causing tremendous pain, and something even worse - similar to Marie's disease.

The fine ash in the lungs triggers a biologic mechanism that results in the rapid growth of new bone all over the body. THis new bone growth causes arthritis-type pain all over the animal's body. They die after having endured a long period of absolute agony - hideous about covers it.

Imagine that your body is slowly dying from your lungs being incapable of taking in sufficient oxygen.
    So bone is dying, from directing oxygen to the vital organs instead, and the body's defense is to
    generate new bone. And that is causing you even more agony.

A paleontologist, Mike Vorhees, discovered this effect from volcanic ash inhalation and "Marie's disease" in the 70's,
    found from fossilized skeletons at a watering hole, described in this video at the time marker 26:50 to 31:41.

Video: Naked Science: Super Volcano

Furthermore, the ash can settle over the breadbasket of the country, first killing all cattle and livestock, and then settling down on the land to depths of feet, traveling even 1000's of miles to do so. This ash will remain there generally, and is incapable of growing plants, because it is biologically inert.

Then there's the longer term "dimmer effect" to the atmosphere, causing the equivalent of a nuclear winter, diminishing the growing season to an interval where plants cannot be harvested before being killed by frost in many farming regions. And this will happen all over the planet for years to come.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:11:03 PM by Trip »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2011, 11:15:06 PM »
http://bigthink.com/ideas/26641

All of that is, and has been occurring.
A resident of UTAH on the further western edge of the state, has had his tapwater go from 9.0 to 11.1 alkalinity, inside 6 months.   Additionally his irrigation well has gone from requiring his powered pump, to now being artesian, requiring no power whatsoever once it is opened.

That's one hell of a lot of hydrostatic head pressure in a month's time,, not to mention a major leap in pH.

Oh, and Bob Smith is indeed very concerned about the signs sine the 25th. While he's not at Yellowstone, others are and left there abruptly without any advanced indication given them.

A pH of 11.1 is at caustic/weak lye levels. Using that water for irrigation has to have a negative impact on plants and the soil.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2011, 11:30:04 PM »
A pH of 11.1 is at caustic/weak lye levels. Using that water for irrigation has to have a negative impact on plants and the soil.

Yeah, you'd think. He said he was only testing it with  pH strips, and wasn't sure he had total confidence in the strips.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2011, 05:24:36 AM »
Yeah, you'd think. He said he was only testing it with  pH strips, and wasn't sure he had total confidence in the strips.

I re-read your post and it says TAP water is at pH 11.1. That stuff is undrinkable. Utah water is crappy anyway (we lived in SLC over 4 years), but that's over the top.

The main point, however, is interesting. And a little alarming.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2011, 08:39:26 AM »
Squids.

Shut your pie hole, damned sea going Bellhop!!  :-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2011, 10:16:38 AM »
Shut your pie hole, damned sea going Bellhop with guns

fixt
nine eleven is a car

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »
Yellowstone Caldera
Aggressive Deformation And Expansion

(click for Larger Image)

The top portion of the above image shows the earth quakes at and around Yellowstone for last month, January 2011, and shows the depth of the focus of those quakes, as well as plotting their epicenters on both topographic and plan maps.

The lower portion of the above image shows the 2009 Satellite Interferometry survey, with the 2004-2010 "Extraordinary Caldera Deformation" overlain on the map, seen at the north end of Lake Yellowstone.

Here is a graph displaying of that "Extraordinary Deformation" event represented, along with the conspicuous quake numbers in January of 2010. This graph shows a six-year long deformation of the caldera, showing a lengthy and aggressive continuation of events on a geologic time-frame.

The above image shows the shallowing of quakes, with these being generally concentrated in the location of the magma chamber. Additionally the mapping show the extension of quakes to the W/NW of the park,which is consistent with quake mappings back through January 2010, and is following the same expansion shown by the Satellite Interferometry.

Overall, the image shows the aggressive expansion of the magma chamber outside the park, even continuing through last month, by those quakes outside the caldera, and even well beyond the park boundary itself.

The appearance of those Harmonic Tremors on January 25th 2011, at locations on the periphery of the magma chamber, and interpreted to be the rise of large volumes of magma through constrained fracture conduits, is consistent with the above data involving the expansion of the magma chamber. As such, the Harmonic Tremors of January 25th do indeed represent an alarming turn in the Yellowstone Park's volcanic status.

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »
Yellowstone Caldera
Aggressive Deformation And Expansion

(click for Larger Image)

The top portion of the above image shows the earth quakes at and around Yellowstone for last month, January 2011, and shows the depth of the focus of those quakes, as well as plotting their epicenters on both topographic and plan maps.

The lower portion of the above image shows the 2009 Satellite Interferometry survey, with the 2004-2010 "Extraordinary Caldera Deformation" overlain on the map, seen at the north end of Lake Yellowstone.

Here is a graph displaying of that "Extraordinary Deformation" event represented, along with the conspicuous quake numbers in January of 2010. This graph shows a six-year long deformation of the caldera, showing a lengthy and aggressive continuation of events on a geologic time-frame.

The above image shows the shallowing of quakes, with these being generally concentrated in the location of the magma chamber. Additionally the mapping show the extension of quakes to the W/NW of the park,which is consistent with quake mappings back through January 2010, and is following the same expansion shown by the Satellite Interferometry.

Overall, the image shows the aggressive expansion of the magma chamber outside the park, even continuing through last month, by those quakes outside the caldera, and even well beyond the park boundary itself.

The appearance of those Harmonic Tremors on January 25th 2011, at locations on the periphery of the magma chamber, and interpreted to be the rise of large volumes of magma through constrained fracture conduits, is consistent with the above data involving the expansion of the magma chamber. As such, the Harmonic Tremors of January 25th do indeed represent an alarming turn in the Yellowstone Park's volcanic status.

I've modified the above image which only showed quakes from January 2011....

.... to now show quakes from January 1, 2010 through January 31, 2011.

This new image now includes the the month of 2,000 quakes at the tail end of the "Extraordinary Deformation" event.

As one can readily recognize:

1) There is a overall shallowing of quakes in the caldera center and continuing outward.

2) There is an expansion of the magma chamber to both the North and to the West, most predominantly to the West-Northwest.

3) The expansion of the magma is well beyond the existing caldera footprint.

No, nothing at all to be concerned with here! Move along! He's just "crazy".   :mental:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2011, 06:23:33 PM »
OK, so Yellowstone is looking bad. What is anybody going to do about it?? If it blows, most of the Midwest folks will die, the folks in the South may live a little longer, depending on the jet stream. The ultimate end is that the US will be devastated and death will be rampant. Many of the survivors will starve to death. Hell, if it blows, most of the world will starve because of the "nuclear winters".

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2011, 07:22:47 PM »
Well, it looks like if it blows there's nothing any of us or the Government can do about it.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:20 PM »
We will all die eventually.  I don't want to die because a super volcano erupted though.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »
We will all die eventually.  I don't want to die because a super volcano erupted though.

If it does, we probably will. You're safer than most because of where you live.

• Oh snap!
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2011, 10:38:42 PM »
If it does, we probably will. You're safer than most because of where you live.

The ash from the other eruptions covered almost all of Nevada.  I still don't think it will happen in our lifetimes, or even my grand-children or great grand-children's lifetime. 

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2011, 02:34:54 AM »
The ash from the other eruptions covered almost all of Nevada.  I still don't think it will happen in our lifetimes, or even my grand-children or great grand-children's lifetime. 

I wish I felt the same. I'd pretty much time it anywhere from 6 months, to a year and a half, maybe two, unless the volcano just suddenly stops.  Of course the fact that it's been going on aggressively since 2004 through 2010 with that "extraordinary caldera deformation" makes it look fairly... "persistent.

I was reading another forum that started a thread on Yellowstone on Jan 25th, with one poster addressing "Harmonic Tremors" thus:

Those seismic plots could easily be fluid movement, Water, infact id be surprised if they weren't Water movement.

It is far more likely that those "harmonic" tremors are hydrothermal.

Any small earthquake can cause fluid movement over large areas, rock fractures underground allowing the movement of water to look suspiciously like harmonic tremors on seismographs.

I read that, and I didn't know whether to laugh, or cry.

Water just "moving around" doesn't make harmonic tremors. It takes a fluid being  forced through confining conduits, like fractures or faults. The appearance of the repeated harmonic echo is a result of viscosity, pressure and conduit aperture.

In actuality it's more complicated than that and involves a fluid mechanics term, the Reynold's number, which incorporates flow velocity, some representation of the flow dimension (diameter), and the kinematic viscosity of the fluid, which for magma would vary highly as the viscosity changes with addition of silicious  "melt".  (I think I hear eyeballs bleeding too!)

Even the geysers, fumerals, vents and hotsprings at Yellowstone don't generate any Harmonic Termors.  I know. I've looked at the seismic stations near them over periods of months.

Someone on Hannity recently tried to tell me that Harmonic Tremors might just as easily be 'microseisms' noise from storms somewhere on earth. (He's getting desperate.)  The two signatures look nothing alike.

Harmonic Tremors are magma being injected toward the surface from depth... and they're not a good sign.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 02:37:50 AM by Trip »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2011, 09:11:42 AM »
Hopefully, there will be just a bunch of mini-eruptions versus a major event.

• Oh snap!
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2011, 10:38:57 AM »
I wish I felt the same. I'd pretty much time it anywhere from 6 months, to a year and a half, maybe two, unless the volcano just suddenly stops.  Of course the fact that it's been going on aggressively since 2004 through 2010 with that "extraordinary caldera deformation" makes it look fairly... "persistent.

I was reading another forum that started a thread on Yellowstone on Jan 25th, with one poster addressing "Harmonic Tremors" thus:

I read that, and I didn't know whether to laugh, or cry.

Water just "moving around" doesn't make harmonic tremors. It takes a fluid being  forced through confining conduits, like fractures or faults. The appearance of the repeated harmonic echo is a result of viscosity, pressure and conduit aperture.

In actuality it's more complicated than that and involves a fluid mechanics term, the Reynold's number, which incorporates flow velocity, some representation of the flow dimension (diameter), and the kinematic viscosity of the fluid, which for magma would vary highly as the viscosity changes with addition of silicious  "melt".  (I think I hear eyeballs bleeding too!)

Even the geysers, fumerals, vents and hotsprings at Yellowstone don't generate any Harmonic Termors.  I know. I've looked at the seismic stations near them over periods of months.

Someone on Hannity recently tried to tell me that Harmonic Tremors might just as easily be 'microseisms' noise from storms somewhere on earth. (He's getting desperate.)  The two signatures look nothing alike.

Harmonic Tremors are magma being injected toward the surface from depth... and they're not a good sign.

Not to go off subject, as this is still about earthquakes, but if you check USGS for CA/NV, California gets a lot of little earthquakes near the state line/Mexico border.  As far as I know, there are no volcanoes in that area.  Does the small earthquake activity really matter?

Honestly, this six month to a year thing is just fear mongering.  I really do not believe that volcano will blow in any of our lifetimes.  I'd bet money on it, but if it DID explode, I couldn't pay you because I'd be buried in ash.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »
Hopefully, there will be just a bunch of mini-eruptions versus a major event.

Hopefully, but I'm inclined to agree with Trip and take his analysis as presented.  Considering the past history of that caldera (mind you my knowledge is limited to the generalized summations that are put forth by the scientists involved; a veritable "n00b" as it were) and what sits beneath Yellowstone right now, I don't think an event will be anything less than an explosion that will make Krakatoa look like a M-80.

Might as well pull up some lawn chairs at the edge of Yellowstone Lake, pack a cooler, and get front row seats to an extinction level event.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline thundley4

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »
I wonder if it blew in a massive way, if it would set off a chain reaction of earthquakes.  The New Madrid Fault isn't all that far away in geological terms.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2011, 12:02:48 PM »
I wish I felt the same. I'd pretty much time it anywhere from 6 months, to a year and a half, maybe two

Trip, could this somehow be related to the Mayan Calendar?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
Hopefully, but I'm inclined to agree with Trip and take his analysis as presented.  Considering the past history of that caldera (mind you my knowledge is limited to the generalized summations that are put forth by the scientists involved; a veritable "n00b" as it were) and what sits beneath Yellowstone right now, I don't think an event will be anything less than an explosion that will make Krakatoa look like a M-80.

Might as well pull up some lawn chairs at the edge of Yellowstone Lake, pack a cooler, and get front row seats to an extinction level event.

Actually its past eruptions aren't all catastrophic, the three major approximately-600K interval caldera explosions were, but there have apparently been two substantial lava flows since the last one that actually cover much of the last caldera flow, most recently something like 150,000 years ago.  There is a certain amount of hype in the way the volcano's history has been presented to dramatize only the most catasrophic events.

But really you can't do shit about it except move to the southern hemisphere anyway.  Yellowstone may blow tomorrow, 100,000 years from now, or never again as a supervolcano, it's impossible to say.  If you really have to have something to worry about, the asteroid Apophis is a much more predictably immediate problem.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2011, 12:16:18 PM »
This has all been interesting, from a mental masturbation perspective, but let me tell ya something:

• First; I was 9 years old and about 100 miles away when Mt. St. Helens erupted.  The environmental scientists promised that it was going to be generations before the economy of Washington State recovered and the landscape looked like something other than the surface of the moon.  They were wrong.
  • Second; I live close enough to the Yellowstone Caldera now, that I don't know what my chances would be expected to be, but most likely not good.  If God wants to take me out of this world, he knows where he can find me, there ain't nowhere I can run to and nothing I can do that will buy me as much as one more second on this mudball than he was already willing to give me, and until then, I've got work to do, a family to feed, and no time to waste circle-jerking on things that neither I, nor all of my elected representatives combined can do a damned thing to stop, slow down, change or sidestep.

That is all.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:18:33 PM by DefiantSix »
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus