Author Topic: Friggin' Moles  (Read 5455 times)

Offline CG6468

Re: Friggin' Moles
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 10:14:40 AM »
It's time to gas 'em.

1. Uncover the tunnel, making sure there are holes going in both directions.

2. Pour some bleach into the opening.

3. Pour some ammonia into the opening. (Ammonia + bleach = chlorine gas.)

4. Quickly cover the hole.

5. Let the chlorine gas travel through the tunnel system to kill them.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2011, 05:05:47 PM »
It's time to gas 'em.

1. Uncover the tunnel, making sure there are holes going in both directions.

2. Pour some bleach into the opening.

3. Pour some ammonia into the opening. (Ammonia + bleach = chlorine gas.)

4. Quickly cover the hole.

5. Let the chlorine gas travel through the tunnel system to kill them.

Waste of time to do it that way. Not enough vacuum to draw the gas down the tunnel before it is absorbed into the ground. If you're going to try it - combine your reagents in a disposable glass container as well. Otherwise the reagents will dilute into the soil.

Got any expired smoke flares lying about ? They're great for smoking out rabbits...

Offline CG6468

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »
Waste of time to do it that way. Not enough vacuum to draw the gas down the tunnel before it is absorbed into the ground. If you're going to try it - combine your reagents in a disposable glass container as well. Otherwise the reagents will dilute into the soil.

Got any expired smoke flares lying about ? They're great for smoking out rabbits...

I'm trying it, though. I can see the gas going into the tunnels.

No old flares, though...

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 11:10:32 AM »
I didn't read any of the replys to this thread, I am posting because I (also?) have experience in this subject.

You have moles because you have grubs in your soil that your neighbors (?) do not.

I think you have 2 choices.

1. You can put stuff on your lawn to kill the grubs...I don't think you will notice a difference this spring/summer but it will be better next year.

2. You can do nothing and the damn moles will eat all of what they eat and move on to another persons lawn, yeah it sucks and it takes roughly a year but their food is gone and that would be a good time to put down grub killer (and keep the damn things in your neighbors yard).
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline CG6468

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »
I'm gonna to with the grubicide. We're right next to a forest preserve, and that's when they come from.

I wish my newer John Deere garden tractor had a round exhaust outlet on it. This one's rectangular, and I have a round one from the older tractor. Just hooked it onto the exhaust pipe, and let the engine run for about 1/2 hour. It was a nice way to kill the chipmunks and moles. But nooooo, can't use it now. Maybe I'll have my local muffler shop fabricate a new one for me.

I also need to put down a load of black dirt in that area. Will the grub killer still work with a new layer of topsoil on it next spring?

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »
I think that would work, your still looking at about a year to get it right.

Mole food lives within the underground web of grass roots.

No grass roots = no moles.

Puting down grub killer is going to be a matter of being able to handle the expense.

Either way I don't think you will notice a difference until next year.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline CG6468

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
I think that would work, your still looking at about a year to get it right.

Mole food lives within the underground web of grass roots.

No grass roots = no moles.

Puting down grub killer is going to be a matter of being able to handle the expense.

Either way I don't think you will notice a difference until next year.

I may not notice a complete change for 2 years. Of course, I'll keep trying the lead injection method, too.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 11:25:54 PM »
What ? No one is going to bring up Caddyshack ? Don't make me do it.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 07:08:16 AM »
What ? No one is going to bring up Caddyshack ? Don't make me do it.

Forget the moles, do as the people do that live in row houses in the city, put down 3 inches of concrete and paint it green.

Plant a row of flowers or even vegetables around the border, looks interesting.  Got pets, just take a garden hose to wash out the leavings.  So the kids may be 5-6 years old when they realise what grass really is, benefits are no flees on the pets or kids or ticks, no lawn mowing, or care except for the 18 inch gardens, no surprise snakes, and later a basketball hoop in the yard may pay for a kids education on a grant.

Blew my mind the one family that did this in the city, they left areas 3 feet in diameter free and planted fruit trees here and there and surrounded the trees with seating benches.   The owners recouped their cost in 5-6 years as they had the perfect environmental area, no cost for a lawn mower, gas to run it, no worry about storing the mower in an expensive shed or worry of theft  from the shed.    No cost to seed or fertilize large areas of grass, just perhaps $50.00 every 2 years to spruce up the paint.

We have almost 3/4 acre of useless land that hubby has to spend allot of time mowing, had to buy a $4000 shed to store the ride on mower in, need to seed, fertilize and watch for moles and grubs each year------Phooey, Next home I buy will have all of the above and by golly a sweet life of spending valuable time doing anything but wasting it on a lawn we do not use.   Then there is the weather when it is too dry and all that work on the grass turns it a shade of gray,  What the heck is grass usefull for but for incects and creepy crawlies to breed in.???? :tongue: :tongue:

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »
Quote from vesta111

"What the heck is grass usefull for but for incects and creepy crawlies to breed in.???? "

This was covered thoroughly by Carl Spackler When Ty Webb shanked a ball into his hooch.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2012, 08:49:58 PM »
Moles just want to eat! When I had them I put down the grub killer, cant remember what it was called or what brand, down in early spring, moles gone in a couple months. I did notice that the neighbors had mole mounds in their yards after that....