Author Topic: Voters leave no doubt in runaway Cy Young victory for Mets' Dickey  (Read 3052 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
It's about time that a knuckleballer won the Cy Young.  'Twas one of the (very) few bright spots in the Mets' season.

Voters leave no doubt in runaway Cy Young victory for Mets' Dickey

By KEN DAVIDOFF
Last Updated: 9:38 AM, November 15, 2012
Posted: 1:21 AM, November 15, 2012

ROSEMONT, Ill. — R.A. Dickey captured too many constituencies to lose this campaign.

He convinced the saps with his rags-to-riches tale of perseverance. He romanced the eccentrics by developing not just any knuckleball, but one thrown exceptionally fast.

The geeks accepted the invitation to his party thanks to his high innings pitched and strikeouts, which led to impressive scores in the sabermetric categories. And finally, Dickey won over the wins crowd — or the luddites, as they prefer not to be called — by hitting the magical 20 wins mark.

The Democrats and Republicans both could learn much from Dickey’s ability to nail down so many bases. And those bases, the Baseball Writers Association of America’s voters, deserve credit, too. Dickey is a most worthy recipient of the 2012 National League Cy Young Award, a development we learned yesterday, and merits inclusion with Tom Seaver (1969, 1973 and 1975) and Dwight Gooden (1985) as the only Mets honorees.

Writing as a representative of the geek lobby, I can assert that Dickey excelled the most in the categories he could control the most. He led the NL with 233 2/3 innings pitched and 230 strikeouts. That he walked just 2.1 batters per nine innings while fanning 8.9 in the same span further boosted his candidacy.

The rest is here:  http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/voters_leave_no_doubt_in_runaway_sXhS3JxeK99r3kF81tc9DL

They're currently trying to sign him to a long(er)-term deal.  At the moment, I'd give him 2 years, $28 million, with a third option year for $16.5 million.  Right now, they have him locked into next year's rotation for $5.5 million.  Since there's a lot of money coming off the books at the end of 2013, I wouldn't put it past Sandy Alderson to say something like this.  It all depends what happens with David Wright, who wants a seven-year deal, and the Mets want to give him a six-year deal.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline dixierose

Re: Voters leave no doubt in runaway Cy Young victory for Mets' Dickey
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 03:35:21 PM »
As much as I dislike the Mets (Go Braves!), he deserved it. He had an awesome year.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 04:03:27 PM »
As much as I dislike the Mets (Go Braves!), he deserved it. He had an awesome year.

It appears that Jeffrey Loria did the Braves and Mets a huge favor yesterday. :cheersmate:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »
I remember being at the game when Dickey gave up like 6 homeruns when he was just starting out with the knuckleball, hes come such a long way. Of course it has to happen like always after a player leaves the rangers they get better.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline dixierose

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 05:03:31 PM »
It appears that Jeffrey Loria did the Braves and Mets a huge favor yesterday. :cheersmate:

I missed that. What happened?
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 04:07:54 PM »
I missed that. What happened?

He sent Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle (sp?), John Buck, and one other player to Toronto.  That's after sending Heath Bell to Phoenix.

And, BigTex, that's usually what happens with Mets players--they do really well when they leave Shea/CitiField.

Chase her.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 05:42:48 PM »
Philly phan here, but R.A. Dickey's life is an amzing story........well deserved award.  Here in Philly we were hoping R.A. Dickey would be dealt to another division.  :-)

BTW: How old is this guy ? 40 ?
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline dixierose

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 08:46:45 PM »
He sent Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle (sp?), John Buck, and one other player to Toronto.  That's after sending Heath Bell to Phoenix.

And, BigTex, that's usually what happens with Mets players--they do really well when they leave Shea/CitiField.

Wow. Cleaning house and trimming payroll. I wonder how terrible they are going to be next year.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 05:17:59 AM »
Philly phan here, but R.A. Dickey's life is an amzing story........well deserved award.  Here in Philly we were hoping R.A. Dickey would be dealt to another division.  :-)

BTW: How old is this guy ? 40 ?

I want to say 39 this month.  The thing is, all the great knuckleballers pitched well into their 40s.

If I were, say, Dillon Gee, I'd be wondering about where the Hell I'd be come Opening Day.  The Mets are having a logjam on the hill, and Zack Wheeler could be there by the ASB.  Mike Pelfrey's rehab is coming along nicely, and the team said that Johan Santana will be back for Spring Training.  It's a contract year for Johan, so there's extra incentive to pitch well.

DR, at the Owners' Meetings, apparently no one wanted to talk with Loria, they were that mad at him.

Chase her.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »
I want to say 39 this month.  The thing is, all the great knuckleballers pitched well into their 40s.

Phil Niekro pitched FOREVER it seemed....