Author Topic: You know, I hate funerals...  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Aristotelian

You know, I hate funerals...
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:52:06 PM »
Archae (24,340 posts)

You know, I hate funerals...

I'm going to one this afternoon, to be with my Mom.

But it's an aunt I barely knew, really.

Going to be lots of my Mom's relatives there, most of whom I haven't seen in years, or even decades.

I think we make too big a deal out of death ceremonies.
The funeral industry (one of the most corrupt ones in this country) loves taking our money for stuff we bury in the ground.

Heck. Even cremation is a racket.

Well I'm sure that the deceased is very sorry to have inconvenienced you by quitting the moral sphere.

Not much in this very small campfire, but the entire thread just screams "It's all about MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" They aren't even willing to put themselves out for somebody who has died - do they have hearts or souls at all?

DUmp link
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:59:37 PM by Aristotelian »

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: You know, I hate funerals...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 01:55:50 PM »
Link?  Pretty please?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:00:19 PM »
Link?  Pretty please?

Added now - sorry, wrote it too quickly and added the URL under an image address rather than a link one...

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »
Funerals aren't about the deceased, it's about those that are left behind.   If the stupid Dump Monkey doesn't care, she could at least care about her mom's feelings and be there to support her!

Offline Undies

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »
Why isn't DeathCare free for all?  Everyone will need it eventually. 

Let's hear it for the Single Payer Corpse Option!

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 08:45:59 PM »
So terrible to have to spend a couple hours comforting your mom.   ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »
So terrible to have to spend a couple hours comforting your mom.   ::)

"What did my mom ever do for me?"
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:02:11 PM »

My funeral budget:
$1,000 for bourbon- Wellers'
$1,000 for keg beer- Guinness and Moose Drool
$1,000 for cigars- Rocky Patel Decade 6x60
$1,000 for a barbecued pig and sides
$1,000 for music
$1,000 for strippers
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:55:07 PM »
Added now - sorry, wrote it too quickly and added the URL under an image address rather than a link one...

Excuses, excuses.   :tongue: :tongue:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 10:23:40 PM »

My funeral budget:
$1,000 for bourbon- Wellers'
$1,000 for keg beer- Guinness and Moose Drool
$1,000 for cigars- Rocky Patel Decade 6x60
$1,000 for a barbecued pig and sides
$1,000 for music
$1,000 for strippers

That's what I said I want for my funeral.  My wife just rolled her eyes.   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I also told my family to just cremate, donate a bench in a scenic spot and have me buried below the bench.  That way my memorial is also a nice place to rest.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »
OMG!!!!  Everything is corrupt in this country(according to the them)...  unless its run by a Democrat.  How these people even live amazes me.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Undies

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »
That's what I said I want for my funeral.  My wife just rolled her eyes.   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I also told my family to just cremate, donate a bench in a scenic spot and have me buried below the bench.  That way my memorial is also a nice place to rest.

I want to be cremated and mixed with poly-resin.  Then I can be made into do-dads like key rings, ashtrays (pun intended!), chip clips, small picture frames, etc.  They can be given out as parting gifts at my memorial service.

I like to travel and meet new people.  I don't care if I end up in a garage sale someday.  

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:23:33 AM »
OMG!!!!  Everything is corrupt in this country(according to the them)...  unless its run by a Democrat.  How these people even live amazes me.
Oh yes! Everything they don't like or is  inconvenient is a "racket" or someone trying to screw them. It's the democrat mindset.
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 07:18:18 AM »
I want to be cremated and mixed with poly-resin.  Then I can be made into do-dads like key rings, ashtrays (pun intended!), chip clips, small picture frames, etc.  They can be given out as parting gifts at my memorial service.

I like to travel and meet new people.  I don't care if I end up in a garage sale someday.  

Is there any possibility that we are distant cousins ????   You sure do sound like my Dads side of the family.

Speaking of Poly-Resin, I have run across a few sites that in fact make rings from the ashes of humans or pets.    The fun thing is no one knows what color the stone will be as the different minerals in the ashes will turn the stone different colors.  18k gold setting and only $600 to keep family at hand.

Gives a macabre meaning to a mothers ring, Tis the season Halloween is right around the corner.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 07:26:53 AM »
I do agree that it costs too damn much to give someone final respects.  I feel they do take advantage of the bereaved.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 07:28:06 AM »

I want to be cremated and released on a very windy day in a crowded Walmart Parking lot so I can bug the shit out of everyone.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Undies

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 07:37:53 AM »
I want to be cremated and released on a very windy day in a crowded Walmart Parking lot so I can bug the shit out of everyone.

Do you have any experience with cremains?

Offline Karin

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 08:24:46 AM »
I agree, it costs way too much.  A modest-income family can't afford it.  I've seen people put on benefits for final expenses, when they knew the jig was up.  Come out and party and help bury me. 

Me, I want to be cremated and dumped into the St. Lawrence river. 

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 08:51:48 AM »

You beat me to it.  ^5.

If someone is earning a living these people somehow think it is wrong.  You should be working for free.  Everyone should work for the government.  Business should not be allowed to make a profit.  Etc ...

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 09:28:24 AM »
Do you have any experience with cremains?

I do both Father, Cousin and Aunt cremated.  Strange both body's delivered to loved ones in a shoe box.  Only one of them had a viewing, the other two just disappeared at death.  No chance to say good by or allow the reality of the loss to sink in.

The rent a casket thing is now big business, for less then a couple hundred buck ones loved ones can have a very nice casket for a viewing, religious services, no need for embalming expenses if taken across state lines.

There is no need for costs for grave diggers if kept in a above ground vault, some cemetery's have very elaborate public vaults where one can visit a loved one and leave flowers and a read a plaque outside, or view a picture of the deceased.    If buried in a family plot the grave diggers need only use a post hole digger to get the box in the ground.

Makes sense to me, Cost to buy a plot, pay for a casket, and all related expenses for a formal funeral for a family with little money and an unexpected death for a family member is no small thing.  

Then there is the case of all that land taken up by the deceased that have no family left to visit or grieve as they have been gone 80-150 years.  All these city's of the dead, some huge, miles in area with expensive grave stones that are visited but once or twice a year.

Once in a while there are ads on TV for planning your funeral now to cut down on expenses for the family in the future----Some actually say a funeral today has to pay $8,000 +,   kind of a bait and  switch play here, even if pre-payed when in shock that cost will go out of sight by playing on emotions of the family.

Some time in the 1970's a book came out, the Cost of Dieing.

My Hubby's parents passed away in the early 1970's 3 months apart.   One SIL tells me back then each funeral cost over $8,000 and for a poor family with 7 kids, there was nothing left to leave the survivors. Hubby remembers little of ether funeral , he in shock only remembers crying. Non of his 6 siblings remember much either.  

We do need an overhaul of our system of the traditions of when time began.   I approve of the vault idea, one hundred or two years after my death I am still there taking up a space of 2 feet by one foot.   A picture of me and a name plaque, perhaps a small engraved epitaph.   I refuse to take up a space of 8x10 that those living may need.   Sort of a, what was the name of the grafettie in the 50-60----a cartoon with, --  was here ?

It is the season to think of these things.   Halloween is just around the corner.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 10:52:35 AM »

Whenever I hear about cremation, I always think of Donnie in "The Big Lebowski" - one of the funniest movies of all time.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »
I hate 'em too! When will 0bama outlaw death?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
I hate 'em too! When will 0bama outlaw death?
If they did that, they'd have to get rid of the estate tax.

Never happen....
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 12:51:22 PM »

Perhaps we can have you made in to a garden gnome.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 01:26:27 PM »
Perhaps we can have you made in to a garden gnome.

Yeah!

Or . . .

:tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.