Author Topic: Phelps forged legend from hard work  (Read 1676 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Phelps forged legend from hard work
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:13:46 AM »
Mods, I don't know if this belongs in the Olympics thread in the Sports forum, but I put it here because of the reason for Phelps' success.

Phelps forged legend from hard work

Jen Floyd Engel

Updated Aug 5, 2012 1:26 AM ET

LONDON

You start with the race. You have to start with the race.

All of the things Michael Phelps has become in his Olympic career — legendary, The GOAT, an owner of 18 gold and 22 medals in all — all of it began exactly like this, with his diving into a pool for a swim.

He was second when he hit the water Saturday for his butterfly leg in the 4x100 medley relay, his last competitive race. He touched the wall 50.73 seconds later in first, leaving Nathan Adrian to wrap up the gold medal for the Americans and Phelps so he could go out as he always was: a winner.

“Just watching Michael swim is beautiful,” 17-year-old American Missy Franklin said perfectly. “You can just see he’s made to do it.”

The danger now, as Phelps walks away from a sport that he dominated and forever changed, is not that we will downplay what he was, but rather we will make it too big. When we turn Phelps into a superhero or a freak of nature, we actually demean what made him great. There is no secret — or rather, it is one we all know and is available to all in whatever your endeavor may be.

And it is one that is anathema to anyone who is a liberal or a left-winger.

WORK.  HARD WORK.

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/swimming/story/Michael-Phelps-last-gold-medal-relay-forged-legend-from-hard-work-080412
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Re: Phelps forged legend from hard work
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »
He couldn't have done it without the roads, bridges and community swimming pools, he didn't do it on his own.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »
He couldn't have done it without the roads, bridges and community swimming pools, he didn't do it on his own.  :-)

I wish someone with more photoshopping talent than I would photoshop Phelps (hey, isn't it nice to have a Phelps that we can cheer for? :-)) in the pool, listing his medals accomplished, with Obama telling him he didn't build that.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »
I think there was a Yahoo article that talked about what Phelps was carrying with him -- one thing was the trophy that he'd been awarded from the Sooper Dooper Swim International Federation (whatever) and the other was a worn, banged-up, faded, and really crappy looking kickboard.

Anyone who's ever done any sort of swimming training knows that training with kickboards kicks serious ass.

Phelps named his "The Big 'O'."

Focus of the article was essentially the same as this one. Phelps kicked ass because Big O kicked his ass. Pure and simple.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »
If the DUmmies were in a race against his and lost, they would want them to cut the gold medal up and spread it around. They are the same people who insist on giving a participation award for losing.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:05:47 PM »

What about all the weed he smoked? He didnt grow that himself, the Mexican govt should get just as much credit for his medals 
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:26:58 AM »
Working hard!

:lmao:

JK. Congrats Michael.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 08:37:45 AM »
Meh.

I deserve credit for Michael Phelps. It was my taxes that helped pave the roads, my taxes that gave him a good swim coach in school.

He didn't win those.

/TOTUS mode off
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies