Author Topic: The Black Community is not Unified. Huh?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
The Black Community is not Unified. Huh?
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:57:22 AM »
I saw this on the local news last night.  I had to scratch my head.
http://walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=8325087&nav=5kZQ

You've GOT to watch the video at the bottom of the page.  See Benita Childs do her best impression of a politician.

Sheriff candidate fires back at newspaper publisher

May 14, 2008

Albany --   A Dougherty County Sheriff's candidate is outraged by accusations that she is only running for the office to divide the black vote.   A newspaper editor criticized Benita Childs in a commentary in his paper.   But he also blasted a local civil rights legend, accusing Charles Sherrod of helping to keep the black community divided. Childs says she won't stand for that.
"Everyone in America has a right to be a part of your democratic process." This is the message Dougherty County Sheriff Candidate Benita Childs has in response to a column written by the publisher of the Southwest Georgian newspaper.

In last week's edition, Art Searles said that Child's running against James Williams will split the black vote and prevent a black person from being Dougherty's Sheriff.

"There are 8,376 more registered black voters than white in Dougherty County. Being black you don't have any white votes to win the election. So the best thing to do is split the vote and dilute it and continue to stay in charge," Art Searles said.

Searles implied that Benita Childs was only running to keep James Williams from being elected and claimed a vote for her was really a vote for white candidate Kevin Sproul.

"No one paid me or convinced me to run. I saw a need. A need for true change. I had a passion to be a part of that change," Childs said.

"I don't believe that. But if that's what she said that's fine, but I don't believe it," said Searles.

Childs said that these comments are not only divisive, but racist. "I don't agree with that because we are assuming that blacks only vote one way. We assume that all black people only vote one way and that's preposterous. When you go in that booth you can vote for whomever you want."

"I am saying that white people vote for white people. We vote for everybody and that is part of the problem. Our community is not unified. To point that out, does that make me a racist? It is what it is," countered Searles
Childs said she is most upset by Searles criticism of her uncle, civil rights pioneer Charles Sherrod. Searles claims Sherrod is being divisive for supporting Childs.

"I am not going to let Art Searles diminish a great man like Reverend Charles Sherrod. He ought to be ashamed. Has he done as much for the community? I think not."

"I am just as upset as she is. I am so upset I don't know what to do. He is supposed to be politically savvy, and here he is playing a part in this. I said it in my column. He is an accomplice to dividing this community," said Searles.

Searles claims Childs can't win the race and says all black voters should support Williams. But Childs says she's a legitimate candidate committed to winning and serving the people well as sheriff.

Art Searles is the owner, publisher, and editor-in-chief of the Albany Southwest Georgian, and a Dougherty County commissioner.

I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: The Black Community is not Unified. Huh?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:12:55 AM »
Video link (it's hard to find on the page) - http://walb.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=2488138&h1=Publisher%20claims%20candidacy%20is%20illicit&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=146467&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=50353301

Wel at least that newspaper guy is open and upfront about his racism when he admits that whites only vote for whites and that blacks will vote for anybody. Geez!!!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:18:24 AM »
Video link (it's hard to find on the page) - http://walb.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=2488138&h1=Publisher%20claims%20candidacy%20is%20illicit&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=146467&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=50353301

Wel at least that newspaper guy is open and upfront about his racism when he admits that whites only vote for whites and that blacks will vote for anybody. Geez!!!

Thanks for the link.  He talks about the minorities in Dougherty County......
The racial makeup of the county was 60.13% Black or African American, 37.80% White, 0.23% Native American, 0.57% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.49% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. 1.34% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Who's the minority, again?
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:20:22 AM »
^LOL! They are permanent minorities didn't ya know??? Forever oppressed and enslaved. *Eyeroll*

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:21:18 AM »
^LOL! They are permanent minorities didn't ya know??? Forever oppressed and enslaved. *Eyeroll*
Ever been to Albany?  If not, don't.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:39:33 AM »

"blacks will vote for whites" says he, "that's part of the problem."  :mental:

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:44:17 AM »

They can say whatever they want, and no one will say anything about it.  If anyone speaks out against them, they're labeled racist in a majority black city.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 09:48:53 AM »

and the sad thing is, the housing market in albany's 'white districts' is BOOMING to this day...

there are 4-5 bids on suburban houses in Albany to this day & prices keep going up & up...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:02:58 AM »
Video link (it's hard to find on the page) - http://walb.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=2488138&h1=Publisher%20claims%20candidacy%20is%20illicit&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=146467&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=50353301

That explains the 90% black vote for hussein across all states.  That 10% is just screwing with the Unity!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 10:04:55 AM »

and the sad thing is, the housing market in albany's 'white districts' is BOOMING to this day...

there are 4-5 bids on suburban houses in Albany to this day & prices keep going up & up...

There are some nice neighborhoods in Albany, but they are getting harder to find.

There is a white flight to Lee County.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 10:20:27 AM »

There are some nice neighborhoods in Albany, but they are getting harder to find.

There is a white flight to Lee County.

latham, colony & a few other suburbs have a booming housing market right now....

my SiL just lost out on a Dr's house she was bidding for in colony that went for nearly $500k....

bidding started around $425 (for an average 4 bedroom , colonial house)

my BiL is a builder down there & he's still installing $30k basements & $10K bathrooms every other week...

the Home Depot in that area is one of the most profitable in the entire country (another BiL of mine is a manager of that Home Depot)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 10:23:20 AM »
JCC and Rebel Yell - are you talking about the same place? I think Rebel Yell is refering to Albany GA.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 10:26:40 AM »
JCC and Rebel Yell - are you talking about the same place? I think Rebel Yell is refering to Albany GA.
I just caught that.  He is talking about Albany, I'm talking about Awlbenny. :-)