Author Topic: Judge Rejects RIAA's Music Copyright Infringement, Distribution Claims  (Read 1038 times)

Offline megimoo

"I love it when these turds lose in court,A bunch of New York lawyers
busy trying to stop kids and older people listen to music they have already paid for and own !"

An Arizona judge has struck down the Recording Industry Association of America's claim that making music files available constitutes distribution of those files. U.S. District Court Judge Neil V. Wake denied the RIAA's request for a summary judgment against a couple who had copied music files from their CDs onto their computer and downloaded file-sharing programs. The defendants said they never placed the music in a shared folder. The judge concluded that even if defendant Jeffrey Howell had placed the items in a shared folder, a third party would have to dip into his hard drive to retrieve a copy....

http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/music/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=3ZL4JJGPQFSAIQSNDLOSKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=207403664&_requestid=519628

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Ah, the RIAA -- just like Emperor Palpatine, the tighter they close their grip, the more money slips through their grasp.

They just don't get it.  There is a good reason why the music industry is losing money hand over fist:  Music today (what little there is) sucks and their distribution model is so 20th Century.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Airwolf

Looks like The RIAA may have trouble with trying to sue any more kids and old people,LOL. This pretty much kills the current lawsuits they have in Nebraska over the use of the colleges (University of Nebraska) internet network.  :cheersmate:
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Miss Mia

Good.  This was a stupid lawsuit. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Lord Undies

Well, there goes my annual $3.72 royalty checks.  I'll have to tell my kids there won't be a Christmas this year.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Good! Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of greedy bastards. This won't stop them though.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Common sense prevails. Now they should GO AFTER REAL pirates.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Airwolf

Be carefull what  you ask for .Knowning those tools this is the only pirate they are likely to catch,

MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Yes.

If I bought a tape or a vinyl LP, then I own the right to listen to that on any medium anywhere anytime. 

The real pirates are those who never paid for the original material.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
It's about damn time someone had some common sense and made an attempt to stop the RIAA.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn