Author Topic: Is anyone else taking NIASPAN for cholesteral?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
Is anyone else taking NIASPAN for cholesteral?
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
My cardiologist put me on it, warned me that there is a side affect called the "flush". I didn't have this side affect for the first month, but lately it has been hitting me a few hours after taking it. It feels like you stuck your head into a microwave oven and turned it on. lol

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
Re: Is anyone else taking NIASPAN for cholesteral?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 01:03:50 PM »
Niaspan is nothing more then the pharmaceutical form of old fashion niacin with a time releasing agent.

My mother was on it for her cholesterol for 3 months and up to 2000mg. It didn't bring down her cholesterol, it just made her itch and had  stinging like little needles. A cold shower will help but doesn't relieve it completely.

You might try 4000mg of fish or omega-3 oil with red yeast rice 1200mg(Solgar). This has brought peoples cholesterol down at the store. Of course change your diet a little and exercise.

What is your cholesterol? A good range is between 200 and 170. I'm not a doctor,but people that come to the store seem to feel better at this range.I had one man his doctor got his down to 100. I thought that was way to low.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:20:39 PM by Inga »
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 05:54:10 PM »
Niaspan is nothing more then the pharmaceutical form of old fashion niacin with a time releasing agent.

My mother was on it for her cholesterol for 3 months and up to 2000mg. It didn't bring down her cholesterol, it just made her itch and had  stinging like little needles. A cold shower will help but doesn't relieve it completely.

You might try 4000mg of fish or omega-3 oil with red yeast rice 1200mg(Solgar). This has brought peoples cholesterol down at the store. Of course change your diet a little and exercise.

What is your cholesterol? A good range is between 200 and 170. I'm not a doctor,but people that come to the store seem to feel better at this range.I had one man his doctor got his down to 100. I thought that was way to low.

Good Luck!

Actually I have no idea what my level is. My cardiologist put me on Niaspan to raise my good cholesteral. I'll ask him about the numbers when I see him in early May.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:10:08 AM »
My cardiologist put me on it, warned me that there is a side affect called the "flush". I didn't have this side affect for the first month, but lately it has been hitting me a few hours after taking it. It feels like you stuck your head into a microwave oven and turned it on. lol
I haven't been able to take the statin my doc gave me. I went with the fish oils and i also got this plant sterol i take as well! we'll see if it works here!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!