Author Topic: Spaghetti Squash--A Dieter's Dream and More  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
Spaghetti Squash--A Dieter's Dream and More
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:44:46 PM »

To get the most of spaghetti squash, you might want to choose the orange spaghetti squash also called "Orangetti". It is higher in beta carotene and is in fact a dieter's dream: one-cup serving of cubed spaghetti squash has only 31 calories and less than 5 grams of carbohydrates, is abundant in fibers and phytonutrients, part of them being acknowledged cancer-preventive phytonutrients: some lab studies have shown vegetable juices obtained from squash to be equal to juices made from leeks, pumpkin, and radish in their ability to prevent cancer-risky changes in our body tissue cells.

One of traditional uses of all winter squashs is aimed to promote prostate health. Preliminary research confirmed the benefits of this vegetable in treatment of benign prostatic enlargement.

Beta-carotene has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and getting enough of beta-carotene with foods may help to prevent atherosclerosis as well as support blood sugar regulation. Research revealed that carotenoids may help with insulin resistance.They are great for a pasta replacement.

The potassium in winter squash may help to lower blood pressure, and the vitamin C may be able to relieve asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.

The folate in winter squash prevents some forms of birth defects and helps the body to break down homocysteine, which damage blood vessel walls.

At the market they run about 5.00 each,but you can get seed from your local feed store,and grow your own.If you would the seeds and can't find them,PM me.
'
There are some wonderful recipes for spaghetti squash I'll share in another thread.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: Spaghetti Squash--A Dieter's Dream and More
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:51:53 PM »
Please post the recipes.

I like squash and never fix spaghetti squash but I see them fix it on the food channel and it looks delicious.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:41:55 PM »
split in half, cook it in a 350 oven until fork tender and then use just like you'd use spaghetti. None of that bad pasta  side effects.

One can also use zucchini squash slice in lieu of lasagna noodles. Slice and use just like lasagna noodles. You may want a thicker sauce because the squash does  give off some water.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:17:28 AM »
At the market they run about 5.00 each,but you can get seed from your local feed store,and grow your own.If you would the seeds and can't find them,PM me.
'
There are some wonderful recipes for spaghetti squash I'll share in another thread.

My major problem with the benefits of any food is the amount one must eat every day for it to jump start the system.

Is this where we get out the forgotten Juicer and drink the squeezing from 5 ponds of carrots for 2 weeks every day?

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:34:32 PM »
My major problem with the benefits of any food is the amount one must eat every day for it to jump start the system.

Is this where we get out the forgotten Juicer and drink the squeezing from 5 ponds of carrots for 2 weeks every day?

Vesta, I have heard of juicing this squash,but since the veggie is so hard that will be difficult to juice in one go, it is best to cut winter squash into strips or just use the insides without the seeds. You could also add apples, oranges,and carrots. This squash has a semi-sweet taste.Not a bad ideal for those that like to juice.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.