Author Topic: primtives discuss gasoline shortage; can't place Delaware geographically  (Read 1442 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4141907

Oh my.

You know, I've wondered about this.  Here in the Sandhills of Nebraska, gasoline prices are lower than they've been for quite a while.  Maybe Karl Rove has something to do with that?

LynneSin  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:27 AM
Original message
Someone tell me why the Gasoline Shortage issues is NOT front page news in the media??

Hurricane Ike hit HOW MANY weeks ago and we're still out of gas in the south. This is a major story. If there was some sort of pipe line burst you think that the government would be right on top of that so they could get gasoline flowing again. But instead this story is getting buried because who would it make look bad - REPUBLICANS

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iXL53Rj9GZchAO3DZxjw...

Gas shortage plagues the Southeast

ATLANTA (AP) — Motorists are rising before dawn so they can be at the filling station when the delivery truck arrives. Some are skipping work or telecommuting. Others are taking the extreme step — for Atlanta — of switching to public transportation.

Across a section of the South, a hurricane-induced gasoline shortage that was expected to last only a few days is dragging into its third week, and experts say it could persist into mid-October. The Atlanta area has been hit particularly hard, along with Nashville and western North Carolina.

Those lucky enough to find gas are paying more than drivers elsewhere around the country.

"I've used up gas just looking for gas," said Larry Jenkins, a construction worker who pulled his red pickup truck into a Citgo station in Charlotte, N.C., on Monday. The sign said $3.99 a gallon, but the pumps were closed. Many filling stations in the area have not had gas for days.

"Right now, I'll pay anything for gas," Jenkins said. "I don't care if it's $5 or $6 a gallon. I need it."

The shortage started with the one-two punch of Hurricanes Gustav and Ike, which shut down refineries along the Gulf Coast. Now, more than two weeks after Ike, many refineries are still making fuel at reduced levels.

spanone  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:29 AM
Response to Original message

1. into our third week of shortages in middle tenn.....it's an issue here.

LynneSin  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:30 AM
Response to Reply #1

4. Well I'm in the Northeast and it's hardly a message out there and I wish it was - the rest of the country needs to be aware of what kind of shape the south is in. Perhaps this is attributing to Georgia's sudden swing to the left.

meegbear  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:33 AM
Response to Reply #4

8. You're in Delaware, NOT the Northeast ...

and here in the Northeast, we're not affected at all. But I have seen my local news cover it; not the first story, but covered.

LynneSin  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:42 AM
Response to Reply #8

18. OMG, I never realized that

UGH and some maps have me part of the *** gasp *** SOUTH!!!

No way, as far as I'm concerned anything north of the canal here in Delaware is the Northeast. Worst case we'll just be the Mid-Atlantic States - that I can live with

after which a map

meegbear  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:44 AM
Response to Reply #18

23. You're Mid-Atlantic ...

us Northeasters gotta keep our pride.

LynneSin  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:55 AM
Response to Reply #23

31. Technically the Mid-Atlantic is a subset of the Northeast so deal with it

Don't you want to say the new VP of the US is from the Northeast?

Wow.  Sarah Palin's from the northeastern part of the country?

marions ghost  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 11:06 AM
Response to Reply #18

34. It's debatable...

After all, Delaware was a slave state.

My Dad comes from Del-Mar-Va. The whole peninsula that Delaware is a part of is very like Virginia.

"Mid-Atlantic" works for me, but historically, Delaware has more in common with South than North.

I see it as a North-South border state, like West VA.

---------------------

As a cultural boundary
Modern definition

See map at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason-Dixon_Line

The states in dark red are almost always included in modern day definitions of the South, while those in medium red are usually included. The striped states are sometimes/occasionally considered Southern. Note that the Mason-Dixon line forms part of the northern boundary of the striped states

The Mason-Dixon line became symbolic of the division between the "free states" and "slave states" from the Missouri Compromise until the end of the American Civil War. Pennsylvania abolished slavery before the end of the American Revolution while Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky, and Missouri remained slave states until the end of the war.

After the Civil War, the line continued to be considered a cultural boundary. Some have imagined it continuing westward from Pennsylvania down the Ohio River to the Mississippi River, and crossing the Mississippi to place Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas south of the line. Debate whether border states such as Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland and West Virginia belong on the north or south side of this boundary line continues to this day.

LynneSin  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 11:10 AM
Response to Reply #34

35. That's not true with the entire state   

The break is the canal. Anything below the canal is what we northerns refer to as "Slower Delaware". New Castle County is definately Yankee Mentality here but the southern counties of delaware it's like a different world down there - one I try to avoid and one that is not as populous as the northern blue state

protect our future  Donating Member  (555 posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:34 AM
Response to Reply #1

10. My opinion is because the deep South is unimportant to this election.

No matter what, the South will vote Republican. If the gas shortage is alleviated, the South votes Republican. If the gas shortage continues, the South votes Republican.

So it's not big news.

What is big news is what the country is going through concerning the bailout bill.

protect our future  Donating Member  (555 posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:39 AM
Response to Reply #10

14. Republicans don't care. Why should they? The South will always vote for them.

No matter what.

That's like saying the Democrats don't care about Massachusetts.  Why should they?  Massachusetts will always vote for them.

lurky  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:43 AM
Response to Reply #10

21. Obama is looking surprisingly strong in Georgia and last I saw he is ahead in NC.

Sure, he's not going to win in Alabama, but he is making big inroads into the Southeast, especially in the large states (read: most electoral votes).

protect our future  Donating Member  (555 posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:55 AM
Response to Reply #21

30. The MSM doesn't want we the people to know that Obama is ahead in NC because that would signal a possible landslide. The MSM has to maintain that the election is very close or their big bucks would be smaller.

raccoon  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:42 AM
Response to Reply #1

17. In upstate SC, it is too.

fed_up_mother  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:57 AM
Response to Reply #1

32. We have plenty of gas right where the hurricane hit

I think a pipeline was damaged in your area or not working properly , so all gas is having to be trucked in.

Hopefully, this will be fixed very soon.

tekisui  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:30 AM

2. Good question.

It's been bad here in Asheville, NC. This week had been better, no 3 hour lines for gas, but it's still scarce.

I don't know why the national media ignores it.

frickaline  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:30 AM

3. maybe so people don't panic and make things worse than they are?

The story is getting some coverage, which is good, but I think to put this front page would be a bit irresponsible.

LynneSin  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:31 AM
Response to Reply #3

7. I think to put it on the frontpage would create an outrage as to why we aren't fixing this   

The only people who would panic over this story getting more widespread attention are the republicans, who once again have their hands mucked in this mess

Phentex  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:52 AM
Response to Reply #7

28. No, it has created more panic...

and part of it IS human nature.

There are people who really need gas to get to and from work each day, stopping for gas a few times a week. Commute times can be long and unpredictable. Then there are those who just need gas on a regular basis about every few weeks, or even just once a week. But when you hear that you may not be able to find gas, when you do see a station open, you stop and fill up...because you don't know if you'll see it again when you actually need it. Stations are getting gas. People are just sheeping it up.

So now we're down to stations having for gas for short periods of time, long waits, police patrols, constant discussion about it at the water cooler, newspeople camped at gas stations for up to the minute reports on any fights breaking out...it's quite fun. UGH!

taterguy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:30 AM

5. Because people dumb enough to live in the Southeast deserve whatever bad things happen to them

Obviously

Lastlaughin08  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:31 AM

6. It's getting 0 coverage in most places

One report I did hear was 7 in 10 stations in Charlotte were dry.

How is this not getting more attention?

daa  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:34 AM

9. Here in Georgia it is big but it is only Carolina, Tenn. and Ga.

supernova  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:36 AM

11. Because the rest of the country does not care about the South

:sarcasm:

Thanks, LynneSin!

dmordue  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:36 AM

12. I'm in NY and i hear about it regularly even though we are not affected

raccoon  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:37 AM

13. Reckon it's because the election is so near?

Naaaaaaaaahh, couldn't be. :sarcasm:

TankLV  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:40 AM

15. Because it's not happening to US - so WE DON'T CARE. There.

sorry t0 say - that is the philosophy we're operating under...

That's the philosophy under which the primitives on Skins's island have always operated.

nolabels  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:40 AM

16. They only want to play happy-happy fun-fun news !

Except for part of the trained monkey telling us about the doom and gloom if congress doesn't pass the bail-out

RufusEarl  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:42 AM

19. If this continues, it'll be hard for allot of people to get to the polls in November. And of course it's only happening in the south, as of today. Who knows what it will be like come election day, just saying..........

SmokingJacket  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:43 AM

22. What I find weird is that prices here are going down, while elsewhere

there's a shortage. Historically, haven't prices always shot up when there's a shortage anywhere? I mean, remember Katrina, when shortages were just threatened?

My tinfoil says that there's a very powerful downward force on prices shortly before the election. And a corresponding blindness to the shortages people are experiences.

Crisco  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:47 AM

24. I Guess No One Thinks They Have Anything to Gain By It

The American press is lazy. That's the #1 axiom. If it's not getting as much coverage as it should, that's because there are no publicity agencies pushing the story to news editors, and offering their clients to be interviewed. This leaves the press to *gasp* work - if they want to cover the story.

On a more altruistic level, they might not wish to cause further panic. When word got out in Nashville Monday morning after Ike that the east part of the state was out of gas, the rush started.

Blue State Native  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:51 AM
Response to Reply #24

27. $3.39 here in San Antonio and no shortage that I am aware of.

Phentex  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:53 AM
Response to Reply #24

29. as been repeated...

the threat of snow in Atlanta causes a shortage of toilet paper, milk and bread.

dkofos  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:50 AM

25. I'm guessing this will persist until after the election.

There is no reason for it.

The Dallas area had minor shortages for about 5 days in the outlying areas. Nothing since.

I call bullshit on the one two punch of Gustav & Ike as an excuse.

There are refineries in Miss. Al. and La. that didn't shut down.

Try asking the stations where they get their gas from normally.

That may help you understand where the shortage problem is coming from.

ogneopasno  (359 posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:50 AM

26. Having worked for a daily newspaper, I can tell you that it has much to do with the big "local, local, local" push that most newspapers now follow. It takes a lot to get a non-local story on the front page, especially at second-tier dailies. If you're asking specifically about why it's not on every front page across the nation right now, that's why -- not the editors and reporters sitting around trying to figure out if each and every story that comes across the wire makes Republicans look bad or not.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Airwolf

Re: primtives discuss gasoline shortage; can't place Delaware geographically
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:04:17 AM »
If the ycan't find Delaware on a map they need to have someone remove all sharp objects from their homes. NBC has been rnning stories about the gas shortages in the south for 2 or 3 days now. Those people on Skins island need some sunshine.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 11:40:27 AM »
How the hell is this getting buried? Every time I see the news someone is talking about this and when things are supposed to go back to normal.  :mental:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 05:54:06 PM »
How in the hell did NC get so many rabid primitives in it  :thatsright:

And to correct the dummy about owning slaves in Delaware...................the Emancimation Proclamation didn't include Delaware and I believe that the owning of slaves was still legal there after the civil war

And they can be part of the Northeast cause this mid Atlantic NC person sure as hell don't want them
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »

There was no shortage of them when I lived there. 
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »

Thank god I'm in the eastern part.....................I would be in jail if I lived in the hippy Asheville area.

Awaiting court if I lived in the People's Republic of Mecklenburg

Awaiting transfer to a mental institution if I lived anywhere near Chapel Hill or Durham.................don't even get me started on the Containment Area for Retired yankees (C.A.R.Y.)...............should build a damn fence around that place.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »
lurky  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-01-08 10:43 AM
Response to Reply #10

21. Obama is looking surprisingly strong in Georgia and last I saw he is ahead in NC.

Sure, he's not going to win in Alabama, but he is making big inroads into the Southeast, especially in the large states (read: most electoral votes).

Surprisingly enough I agree with the DUmmie jerky. This week I've traveled in through six Georgia counties. During my travels I've made a conscious effort to keep track of the political yard signs and bumber stickers that I've seen. I've only seen 10 for McCain, but I've seen a whopping 1 for Obama. This surely means that the Mc is toast. Georgia has tides, and the legs have turned.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 07:14:38 PM »
I lived in Durham for 4 years in the '70-'84....the Dems were alive and prospering then. Asheville is hippy-land of the area.

The gas shortage has been all over the local and national news....network and others.

The Colonial Pipeline that provides for the Carolinas, TN and GA,  was damaged by the hurricane....which is why we are having supply issues. Reports in the last 2 days are saying it will be 10-14 days before supplies are back to normal.

Those Dummies can really make my head hurt...... :banghead:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 07:19:37 PM »
Many stations are still only getting Regular here.  At least the panic buying has stopped.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 07:23:14 PM »
I lived in Durham for 4 years in the '70-'84....the Dems were alive and prospering then. Asheville is hippy-land of the area.

The gas shortage has been all over the local and national news....network and others.

The Colonial Pipeline that provides for the Carolinas, TN and GA,  was damaged by the hurricane....which is why we are having supply issues. Reports in the last 2 days are saying it will be 10-14 days before supplies are back to normal.

Those Dummies can really make my head hurt...... :banghead:

I haven't noticed any shortages around south Georgia. Of course, I believe the station where I get all my gas is actually owned by a distributor so that might make a difference.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline lizard

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »

Thank god I'm in the eastern part.....................I would be in jail if I lived in the hippy Asheville area.

Awaiting court if I lived in the People's Republic of Mecklenburg

Awaiting transfer to a mental institution if I lived anywhere near Chapel Hill or Durham.................don't even get me started on the Containment Area for Retired yankees (C.A.R.Y.)...............should build a damn fence around that place.

Thank GOD for eastern NC.  I have to say, here in our little podunk town in NC, we still have all grades of gas and no limit on buying.  That very well could do with the fact that this little town is basically owned by 2 gas companies, and we are not far from the State Ports either.