Author Topic: primitive finds valuable painting at rummage sale  (Read 949 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive finds valuable painting at rummage sale
« on: September 30, 2008, 08:54:01 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=403x2261

Oh my.

Vinca  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Sep-22-08 06:05 PM
Original message

My best yard sale find ever.

This is a Roadshow-worthy story. I stopped at a yard sale kind of late in the morning the Saturday before last and spotted a large abstract painting for $10 and decided to buy it. The guy tells me he bought it directly from the artist in 1985 and that the artist, who is Moroccan, is very well known. Yeah, sure, I thought. As if someone would sell a well known artist's painting for $10.

But I bought it anyway, because for some weird reason I liked it. So I got home, put "Mohamed Drissi" into "the Google" and to my astonishment, it turns out he is well known. In fact, there's an entire museum with his name on it. I found one sale for $18,000 so I sent a picture to a gallery in Morocco and they said it's one of Drissi's best works. They quoted $8,000 to $12,000, but I think they were setting me up for a sale and I'm hanging onto it for awhile. I'm still stunned that someone would sell a painting like that for $10. It actually looked as if it had been in storage in a barn or something, too. I had to vacuum sawdust and mouse droppings off it. Honest!

after which image of the painting

Edited to add another little tidbit I picked up from another dealer last weekend. Apparently someone in my area made a million dollar find of a Russian painting over the summer! It's so exciting to know this kind of thing is still out there.

Now that the primitive found this valuable painting, one assumes he will immediately donate it to an art museum, rather than selfishly keeping it for himself.  After all, art belongs to the people.

Longhorn  DU Moderator Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Sep-22-08 06:21 PM
Response to Original message

1.  Oh, my!

What an amazing story! I hope all works out with securing your windfall! That's not just luck but skill on your part. I wonder how many people had passed up on that painting by the time you saw it! Way to go!

yy4me  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Sep-22-08 07:05 PM

2. And that my dear is why we all still get in the car and hit every yard sale, junk shop, thrift shop we can find. Personally, I'm looking for a Faberge egg but I will take an original of the Declaration of Independence--maybe an original printed Gutenberg Bible, a signed Paul Revere silver tankard. No point in thinking small, one the bug is in your system, no turning back.

I did find a cute old brass frame the other day.

Congrats, perseverance pays off.

Vinca  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-23-08 07:15 AM
Response to Reply #2

4. LOL - I've been looking for a Faberge egg, too. Seriously.

Did you know Faberge made tiny eggs that are worn as pendants? I figure that would be the easiest to find. They also made Santa figures that are unidentified except for some Russian writing on the bottom. I look for those, too. You never know.

mopinko  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Sep-24-08 10:23 AM

6. take good care of it.

buy it a good cleaning if you can afford it. if is was covered with dust and mouse droppings, it is in need.
great job, tho. i love thrift shop art, and am always looking for that big thing. i always buy paintings that talk to me.

What the fudge?

I dunno.  The artist is no Holbein, Brueghal, or Durer.  I'd give it to an art museum myself, just to not have to look at it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
Re: primitive finds valuable painting at rummage sale
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 09:49:02 PM »
He's just trying to top the other primitive that claimed he found a half dozen first editions at the used book store the other day. :whatever:

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 10:01:34 PM »
I'm sure that the DUchebag will declare the capital gain on their 1040..... :lmao:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline comradebillyboy

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »
Having seen a few Faberge eggs at the Hermitage Museum, I wouldn't bet on finding one at a garage sale or estate sale.  :rotf:

Offline Zeus

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 10:48:17 PM »
If he does sell it I bet he has a change of mind when it comes to capital gains taxes  :evillaugh:
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.