Author Topic: Grab some popcorn!: Why are we so nasty?  (Read 710 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
Grab some popcorn!: Why are we so nasty?
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:36:36 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4117176

tpsbmam  (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-29-08 08:27 AM
Original message
Why are we so nasty?
I'm not pointing fingers -- I've been guilty myself. I've snapped at people lately both online and in "real life." While I've been known to do it OCCASIONALLY in the past, I'm typically a nice person who tries to make sure I don't make someone feel worse about themselves or add to their stress. I've felt really crappy a couple of times lately when I've snapped at people for little reason (I've gone back and apologized when I felt I was wrong).

I'm reading this board and I'm seeing some pretty nasty comments toward other people. I've been at DU for a long time but only got active lately so I don't have a gauge -- has this always been the case or are people getting nastier with the stress of everything that's gone on for the last 8 years and with the stress of what could happen in the coming days and years?

Everyone is stressed these days. People are wary of the future and what it holds for each of us.

For the most part, we don't know what people at the other ends of our posts are going through. For the most part, we don't know what kinds of pressures they're under. For the most part we don't know what their histories are and what we're doing to pile onto tough histories with our nasty remarks. We don't know what we're doing to the other person when we belittle them.

I'd like to think that everyone (except disruptive freepers) is welcome at DU and they don't have to have rock solid high self-esteem to post here. I'd like to think that we progressives can understand that we might be damaging another person when we belittle them and that we care about that. I'd like to think we can disagree without putting other people down.

This makes me sad.

ShortnFiery  (1000+ posts)       Mon Sep-29-08 08:29 AM
Response to Original message
1. We are about to allow Corporate Congress to give away our children's future.
 Dammit, it's our tax dollars. Congress has NO RIGHT to act contrary to the desires of their constituents.
  BLARGGGGGG!!!!!!

tpsbmam  (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-29-08 08:30 AM
Response to Reply #1
3. So does that mean that we have to be nasty to each other? I don't get your
 response. I'm not saying I don't understand why people are angry, I'm saying I'm sad to see that anger is associated with people being nasty to others in the same boat. Is that helping?

gateley  (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-29-08 08:40 AM
Response to Reply #3
7. I'm going through one of the most stressful times in my life. And although
 I come here for strength and companionship (no, really!) I'm at such a fragile emotional point that the least little thing that I might possibly construe as negative pushes me over the edge. Thank you for your post - I will keep it in mind next time I knee-jerk react to something. 

ShortnFiery  (1000+ posts)       Mon Sep-29-08 08:40 AM
Response to Reply #3
8. I find the behavior of "playing DU nanny" equally distasteful. And not productive in
 moving the discussion into a more mature frame of reference.

IAmJacksSmirkingRevenge  (1000+ posts)       Mon Sep-29-08 08:46 AM
Response to Reply #8
13. And your posts are?
 I didn't realize flaming those who disagreed with you was very "mature."

ShortnFiery  (1000+ posts)       Mon Sep-29-08 09:46 AM
Response to Reply #13
32. I didn't start the thread ... starting an entire thread on "being nice" is just, IMO, destructive as
 Hell. It serves no purpose - set the example, or don't - but complaining just leads to ... more complaining? We're all guilty
Some more than others.  :whatever:

TahitiNut  (1000+ posts)       Mon Sep-29-08 11:48 AM
Response to Reply #1
48. We've been mortgaging our children's future for 30 years and the mortgage is FORECLOSED! 
 ... but nobody cares about the people victimized by the foreclosures ... only about selling out the "toxic waste" (those futures) for whatever the debtholder can get.

Wow ... talk about derivatives! Our grandchildren are TOAST.
  BLAAAAAARRRRGGGGGG! Wait... What was this thread about again?

hatrack  (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-29-08 08:50 AM
15. Because we've been receiving nothing but nasty for the past eight years
 If you opposed Bush, you "hated 'Murica".

If you were against invading Iraq on fabricated evidence, you "wanted the terrorists to win".

If you didn't believe that taking repeated big smelly dumps on the Constitution in putative pursuit of "security" was the right thing to do, you were naive, delusional, weak and stupid.

We've been called everything from anti-American to liberal fascists, politically correct to puppets of al Qaeda, and we've had enough, and we're throwing roundhouse punches, and some of them are missing their intended targets.

Regrettable, yes, but hardly surprising.

"I and the public know what all schoolchildren learn
Those to whom evil is done do evil in return." - W.H. Auden
Ye will know the truth and the truth shall make ye nasty!!

pitohui (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-29-08 09:50 AM
35. because suffering doesn't enoble, suffering spoils the personality
 Edited on Mon Sep-29-08 09:51 AM by pitohui
this is one of the difficulties people find in the helping professions, for the most part, terrible suffering takes a terrible toll on one's personality AND character and makes the victim of the tragedy actually a difficult person to deal with

example: it is easy to be courteous when you are in strong health, it is not so easy when, say, you are suffering from chronic pain and your doctor has just informed you that the DEA is investigating him and he will not be able to prescribe any more of the medicines that you need to function

this country is in terrible pain and people have been victimized by repeated crimes and outrages

so grouchy and nasty is going to happen, in an ideal world, no, it wouldn't but in the ideal world there would be no need for politics to begin with because everyone would be decent without need for a world of laws

Well...

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Grab some popcorn!: Why are we so nasty?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:45:37 PM »
Gosh and here I thought maybe it was just because they were miserable,selfish,childish people that couldn`t deal with life.

Once again it is someone elses fault. :whatever:

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: Grab some popcorn!: Why are we so nasty?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:48:27 PM »
If you were against invading Iraq on fabricated evidence, you "wanted the terrorists to win".

If you didn't believe that taking repeated big smelly dumps on the Constitution in putative pursuit of "security" was the right thing to do, you were naive, delusional, weak and stupid.

We've been called everything from anti-American to liberal fascists, politically correct to puppets of al Qaeda, and we've had enough
I am confused. I understand the DUmmiea are upset, but where were they mischaracterized? All  these descriptions seem spot on to me.