Author Topic: Catastrophic Hawaii fires kill at least 67 as search, rescue efforts continue fo  (Read 920 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Catastrophic Hawaii fires kill at least 67 as search, rescue efforts continue for missing
https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news/maui-lahaina-hawaii-wildfires-damage-deaths

LAHAINA, Hawaii – The devastating firestorm that ravaged Lahaina has left the road leading to the town forever scarred. The catastrophic aftermath has reduced the town to ashes, and the impact of the disaster will be felt for years to come.

"What we saw today was likely the largest natural disaster in Hawaii state history," Hawaii Gov. Josh Green said. "It’s going to take a great deal of time to recover from this."

The typically tranquil island haven has been transformed into a scene resembling a war-torn wasteland. Officials are limiting access to the town as the death toll continues to rise. At least 67 people are now confirmed dead in the fires that swept through the historic tourist destination, according to a press release from Maui County government issued Friday evening.

Hell has come to Maui.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Drafe Hoblin

I'm trying hard not to believe the fire was intentionally set.

So for now it's invasive, abnormally dry grasses ignited by a downed power-line.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Hawaii Utility Pursued Green Energy Goals While Fire Mitigation Projects Were Delayed
https://www.dailywire.com/news/hawaii-utility-pursued-green-energy-goals-while-fire-mitigation-projects-were-delayed

Hawaiian Electric is under scrutiny for allegedly slow-walking modernization and repairs of its electrical grid before the fire that ripped through the island of Maui last week.

Hawaiian Electric is Hawaii’s principle electric utility, providing power to roughly 95% of the state. Financial disclosures and reports show the company worried about the state of its electrical grid, and specifically the risk of wildfires, but devoted resources to building out the utility’s green energy network with limited action to mitigate fire risk, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The scrutiny on the company’s past priorities comes as it faces allegations in court that it is to blame for the fire last week that ripped through the historic beach town of Lahaina, killing over 100 people and destroying thousands of buildings. The wildfire is the deadliest in modern American history, surpassing California’s Camp Fire that destroyed the town of Paradise in 2019.

Hawaiian Electric CEO Shelee Kimura said during a press conference this week that the utility would be launching its own investigation. She said it would cooperate with an investigation by the state attorney general as well.

Hawaiian Electric spent more putting green energy, while doing less to reduce fire risk.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
We Are Not Learning’: Bjorn Lomborg Says Politicians Hide Behind Climate Change to Duck ‘Responsibility’ For ‘Failures’
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/08/19/we-are-not-learning-bjorn-lomborg-says-politicians-hide-behind-climate-change-to-duck-responsibility-for-failures/

Bjorn Lomborg said Friday that politicians were blaming climate change for disasters like the wildfires on Maui to duck “responsibility” for “failures” in addressing them.

Democratic Gov. Josh Green of Hawaii blamed climate change for the deadly wildfire that destroyed many buildings in the town of Lahaina, killing at least 96 people as of Monday, according to the New York Times. The West Maui Land Company accused M. Kaleo Manuel, an official with the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR), of delaying a response to a request to use water to refill reservoirs used by the Maui Fire Department to fight the wildfire, Hawaii News Now reported. (RELATED: ‘Are You Freaking Kidding Me?’: Former FEMA Head Blasts Hawaii Officials’ Focus On ‘Equity’ Prior To Fire)

“You maybe shouldn’t have a lot of grasses that will just burn a lot. You should adopt better building codes, not what Governor Green did, namely put it on hold because he wants cheaper buildings and you shouldn’t just have one exit road, you should have better firebreaks,” Lomborg told “America Reports” co-anchor John Roberts. “And possibly the most important thing is, you should inform people. You should not have a guy that actually decides not to run the alarm because he worries that people might misunderstand it. Most people weren’t informed.”

“And this is the crucial bit when you talk about climate change: When everybody blames climate, which is a very, very small part of the whole puzzle, you take away responsibility from all these failures,” Lomborg added. “And that’s, of course, what you really need to focus on if you are going to avoid the next fire.”

If every thing goes bad, blame it on climate change.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Maui Residents to Joe Biden: 'We Don’t Want You Here'
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/saraharnold/2023/08/19/maui-residents-to-joe-biden-we-dont-want-you-here-n2627252

President Joe Biden's absence and lack of empathy towards the residents of Maui is a clear indicator he couldn't care less for Americans in need.

During a CNN interview, a longtime Maui resident got emotional when asked why Biden is taking so long to visit the devastated area and those affected by the wildfires.

"It's really affecting me because where's the President?" Maui resident Ella Sable Tacderan asked. "I mean, aren't we Americans, too? We're part of the United States. Why are we getting put in the back pocket? Why are we being ignored?"

Biden has yet to visit the Hawaiian island, drawing criticism as the death toll rises.

Maui do not want President Joe Biden visiting them.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
The Maui wildfires are proof that carbon zealotry can kill
https://nypost.com/2023/08/18/the-maui-wildfires-are-proof-that-carbon-zealotry-can-kill/

Zero carbon zealotry can be dangerous to your health. In fact, in the hands of government officials, it can kill.

Ask the grieving families of Maui, the Hawaiian island ravaged by wildfires last week.

As the fires raged, liberal media blamed the devastation on climate change.

“How Climate Change Turned Lush Hawaii into a Tinderbox,” announced The New York Times.

Sorry, the evidence is piling up that the opposite is true.

Zero carbon extremism diverted the island’s main electrical producer, Hawaiian Electric, from insulating wires, clearing areas around vulnerable transmission sites and taking other precautions to prevent wildfires it knew were likely to occur.

Hawaiian Electric had every opportunity to mitigate wildfires. Same goes with Pacific Electric & Gas.

Six out of 20 recent wildfires in California, including the 2018 Camp Fire, which killed 85, the Kinkade fire in Sonoma in 2019 and the Dixie Fire in 2022, were caused by sparks due to aging transmission equipment and poor maintenance.

California’s Pacific Electric & Gas boasts that it’s “helping to heal the planet” and is determined to achieve a “net zero energy system in 2040 — five years  ahead of California’s current carbon neutrality goal.”

What about healing the families who needlessly lost loved ones in these fires?
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Old n Grumpy

It seems like there’s plenty of heads that need to roll, from the power company, the failure to remove flammable material and not having water at the ready to fight the fires. 

So all those that failed in their duties can now find a scapegoat to point their fingers at. :thatsright: :argh:

It’s going to be interesting to see how fema and the biden misadministration will handle the recovery..
I bet ukraine will get more $ then the Hawaiians :argh:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Hawaii State Government Attempts Information Blackout On Maui Fire - Refuses Media Access
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/hawaii-state-government-attempts-information-blackout-maui-fire-refuses-media-access

The West Maui disaster is becoming less about the fire and more about the government's bizarre response to the aftermath.  Independent media sources and some mainstream media sources have confirmed multiple instances of the Democrat controlled government's mismanagement that led to the escalation of the tragedy.  The circus included a woke water management bureaucrat who believes water is "godlike" and that it must be distributed according to the rules of "equity; the same official withheld vital firefighting resources for a day while Maui burned.  The state government has been thoroughly embarrassed, but instead of responding with humility, they have doubled down and gone on the attack.     

The Governor of Hawaii, Josh Green, took a wild swing at independent reporting, telling people not to listen to information from social media and "influencers."  It's hard to say what his definition of an "influencer" is, only that he is clearly hostile to anyone reporting news outside of the government narrative.  Green's disapproval of media reporting is not limited to alternative journalists, however.  It appears that there is now an information blackout being instituted by the state.  Corporate journalists are also being denied access to the area of the fire damage path as well as access to any details surrounding the investigation into how the fires may have started.

WOW. 😳😳😳

This is the Governor of Hawaii, Josh Green basically saying that independent journalism about what is going on in Maui is VERY discouraged & that sources outside of the Government should not be trusted or listened to.

“Doing reporting through social media is… pic.twitter.com/92RVkN7DSJ

— The Patriot Voice (@TPV_John) August 19, 2023
The lockdown is reminiscent of the state's recent draconian covid response and has undertones similar to the Hurricane Katrina calamity in 2005.  It is possible that the Hawaiian government got a taste of ultimate power over the past few years and now they think that 1st Amendment rights no longer apply.  The editor of the Maui Times reiterates that the government is shutting out all media inquiries and they are not to blame for the lack of confirmed updates on the situation.

The Hawaiian government is engaging in media blackouts. They got something to hide.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Old n Grumpy

The Hawaiian government is engaging in media blackouts. They got something to hide.

They have a lot to hide. I hope the people rise up and get the responsible people out of the government..

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
'Children Were Incinerated To Ash': Livid Hawaiians Slam Biden For Cracking Jokes, Lying About Wife
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/children-were-incinerated-ash-livid-hawaiians-slam-biden-cracking-jokes-lying-about-wife

Hawaiians are livid at President Joe Biden, who finally showed up to Maui two weeks after wildfires ravaged Lahaina, killing 114 and leaving over 850 missing - only to crack inappropriate jokes and lie about his wife 'almost' dying in a fire.

"You guys catch the boots out here? That’s a hot ground, man," Biden joked.

JUST IN: President Biden jokes about how hot the ground is in Maui after a fire ripped through, killing hundreds.

“You guys catch the boots out here? That’s a hot ground, man,” he joked.

Despite media reports of roughly 100 deaths from the fires, locals estimate that at least… pic.twitter.com/mRlVuN9kns

— Collin Rugg (@CollinRugg) August 21, 2023
At another point, Biden told the Mayor of Maui County: "You look like you played defensive tackle for, I don't know who, but somebody good," before calling the wildfires a "national travedy."

Talk about callous and tone deaf.

Residents are pissed...

"Hearing you talk about your house that, you know, had a little fire... you almost lost your cat and your Corvette," said one enraged resident, adding: "There were children that were incinerated to as," after Gov. Josh Green (D) said on Sunday that "it's possible that there will be many children" among the missing.

"You're so out of touch with the common man, you don't even know how to speak to them," he continued, adding "the only way you think you can establish commonality with them is to lie - that the 'same thing happened to you' "

"You're a disgusting, despicable bastard."

Watch:

CITIZEN RESPONSE TO JOE BIDEN’S SPEECH IN MAUI *
pic.twitter.com/krd0CaC9ON

— The_Real_Fly (@The_Real_Fly) August 22, 2023
I did not realize until today that the potential death toll was this high

If the death toll is even close to this, that would make this one of the 3 deadliest natural disasters in the US in the 21st century

How is this not the only thing we are talking about? https://t.co/UoVgOerwdk

— PoIiMath (@politicalmath) August 21, 2023
"**** You" shouted more residents as Biden's motorcade rolled down the street. We imagine many Hawaiians regret voting for the pariah prez.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Drafe Hoblin

The children who were alone.

Incinerated.

Impossible to forget.

I can only hope that those responsible for this suffer unimaginably worse fates.   

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
The children who were alone.

Incinerated.

Impossible to forget.

I can only hope that those responsible for this suffer unimaginably worse fates.

Do you know how hard it is to get a living body to burn??
Until somebody shows me DNA-tested remains, I consider it far more likely that they were disappeared into the Dim'Rat human trafficking network.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
This is one of the most heartfelt, apt, and pointed rants I've ever heard.

SharterJoe's legacy is based on his "communing" with people. What an f'n joke -- except it ain't a joke.

This Maui resident lets loose both figurative barrels, then reloads and fires again. NOTE: Spicy language, probably NSFW.

https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1694005171343286316?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1694005171343286316%7Ctwgr%5E8e214f504b952653f07cba35fd34f6fb0bac05a5%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fhotair.com%2Ftree-hugging-sister%2F2023%2F08%2F22%2Fall-clear-potatus-back-on-vacation-n572905
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 12:36:54 PM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Old n Grumpy

Joe should be tied to a chair and made to listen to the mans rant for a few hours  :thatsright:

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
Joe should be tied to a chair and made to listen to the mans rant for a few hours strapped to a gurney and kept on an intravenous drip of sedatives  :thatsright:

Fixt 'er for ya, my friend. :cheers1: :hi5:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Biden's 'empathy' act has always been a disingenuous fraud
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/bidens-empathy-act-always-been-a-fraud

The fraudulent “empathy” act of President Joe Biden that has been so hyped up by liberal media remains nothing more than Biden turning every tragedy into a pity session for himself.

With more than 100 dead in Hawaii’s fires and another 1,000 missing, Biden finally decided to visit the state after previously saying he had “no comment” on the tragedy while on vacation. Sure enough, he tried to deflect criticism from himself by one-upping the victims of the fires, telling the story about his house almost burning down (supposedly) with his wife still inside, as well as his Corvette and his cat.

"Any comment on the rising death toll in Maui?"

BIDEN: "No. No comment." pic.twitter.com/oORpRuLUpz

— RNC Research (@RNCResearch) August 14, 2023
“I almost lost my wife, my 67 corvette, my cat.”

Joe Biden feels the pain of Lahaina talking about his kitchen fire.
pic.twitter.com/xIeeRNJBj9

— Will Cain (@willcain) August 22, 2023

Joe Biden is a fake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Watch: Maui Residents Turned Back By Police Barricades Recount Their Brush With Death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z0beYjT6ko

Disturbing.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
Watch: Maui Residents Turned Back By Police Barricades Recount Their Brush With Death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z0beYjT6ko

Disturbing.

News article talks about Maui residents using their boats and aiding fire victims in spite of the stonewalling being done by the "Civil authorities"...  :thumbs:
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

-- Ronaldus Magnus