Author Topic: States hitting hybrid and electric car owners with new taxes  (Read 489 times)

Offline SVPete

:greet: CMD:

States hitting hybrid and electric car owners with new taxes

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216677495

https://www.khou.com/amp/article/money/states-adding-taxes-to-hybrid-and-electric-cars/285-6224d1d5-6bd3-4422-a66b-0df9d53ba65a

“ 30 states are hitting hybrid and electric car owners with additional taxes to pay for highway maintenance, and a dozen more have proposals in their legislature.”

EXAS, USA — State governments everywhere are starting to tax owners of hybrid and electric cars because they claim their drivers don’t pay enough in gasoline taxes.

With gas prices so high, more and more drivers have been looking at buying a hybrid or electric cars.

But you might want to be aware of some fees that owners say are unfair.

……….

"As I read this, I found they are going to in essence double the registration fee on my 12-year-old Toyota hybrid," Gilbert said.

At least he's not driving a Tesla, whose owners are facing a $150 annual fee.

Thirty states are now hitting hybrid and electric owners with annual fees, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Well, EVs use the roads just like gas-fueled cars, and gas tax $$ still need to be stolen to fund bullet-train and mass-transit boondoggles and white elephants.

WarGamer (5,282 posts)

1. understandable... but still pretty rotten.

It's ALWAYS been my opinion...

Make the largest share of highway maintenance burden fall on COMMERCIAL entities that MAKE MONEY from the highway systems...

Why tax the dude trying to get to his $10/hr job??

Maybe tax every damn Amazon van and such things??

$10/hr dudes and dudettes drive hybrids and EVs? In what perpendicular universe? But now apply this "reasoning" to the real $10/hr dudes and dudettes and their gas-fueled cars.

underpants (169,206 posts)

2. Well money is needed for roads.

I drive an older hybrid and get 40-45 MPG regularly. I’ve had trips register up to 60 MPG.

Does underpants really believe all gas tax $$ goes to road maintenance? Not in blue states like California, not for decades!

Scrivener7 (42,200 posts)

4. But this isn't about that. This is about making cars that use less or no

gas less attractive compared to cars that use gas.

The oil companies are behind this

:mental:  :mental:  :mental:  :mental:  :mental:

That's just a sample of the 31 Replies that had been posted when I waded over to DU (shallow water, shallow "thoughts").
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
Re: States hitting hybrid and electric car owners with new taxes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 10:20:08 AM »
dsp3000 (342 posts)
5. This seems counter productive and unfair

Penalizing people for choosing more environmentally friendly vehicle choices. As a current hybrid owner, maybe i'll get a V8 Lexus as my next car purchase after all to spite this BS.

Hey DUmmmie, environmentally friendly? Have you ever seen pictures of a lithium mine? or a nickel mine?

Add to that, the power you're getting for your environmentally friendly vehicle comes from a coal powered electric plant, and I'd bet you your electric car is just as bad, or worse for the environment, overall, than my V8 turbo-diesel.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 10:46:50 AM by Patriot Guard Rider »
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 11:05:44 AM »
I'm so old that I remember when DUmbass Duchebags said "Paying taxes is the highest for of patriotism."  Good times, good times.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 11:10:00 AM »
This is not an unusual reaction from the primitives and I suspect leftists in general. They hear “electric” and “less auto carbon emissions” and see unicorns and rainbows, but they never think through how electricity is produced and that if a source of tax revenue is reduced then a State will find another way to get it.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 11:36:07 AM »
What? States not using tax money where it SHOULD be spent?

You don't say.   
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 11:45:27 AM »
dsp3000 (342 posts)
5. This seems counter productive and unfair

Penalizing people for choosing more environmentally friendly vehicle choices. As a current hybrid owner, maybe i'll get a V8 Lexus as my next car purchase after all to spite this BS.

Taxaholic bureaucrats have bullet-train and mass-transit boondoggles and white elephants to fund and don't give a @#$% about Progs' hybrid & EV

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 12:08:59 PM »
Glimmers of logic...

USALiberal (10,153 posts)
15. It is absolutely about that. That's how roads are fixed!!! Nt

USALiberal (10,153 posts)
17. It's not punishing anyone anymore than gas tax does!!! Nt

Shot down in standard moonbat SCREEEEEE

Scrivener7 (42,202 posts)
31. Sure. It's the sad roads and not the oil companies that are convincing politicians

to pass these measures.

Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 12:14:11 PM »
I remember back 10 or 20 years ago when California decided to raise the gas tax and one of the stated reasons was to reduce the amount of time drivers spent using their cars. They assured Californians that this was basically a sin-type tax and the income produced was secondary. After a few years, they raised the gas tax again because with drivers cutting back they were raising the expected income from the tax which just goes to show you that you can never trust what an elected official tells you.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 12:44:39 PM »
I remember back 10 or 20 years ago when California decided to raise the gas tax and one of the stated reasons was to reduce the amount of time drivers spent using their cars. They assured Californians that this was basically a sin-type tax and the income produced was secondary. After a few years, they raised the gas tax again because with drivers cutting back they were raising the expected income from the tax which just goes to show you that you can never trust what an elected official tells you.

Reminds me of many years ago when I read about an electric utility in Massachusetts (?) that told customers to cut back usage to save electric. The consumers did such a good job, the utility raised rates to make more money. In effect, you were now paying the same as before for less electric.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 04:56:32 PM »
Electric Car Man bad?

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 05:08:17 PM »

:lol:
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 08:52:11 AM »
Charging stations are going to need accompanying motels and restaurants.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 09:10:30 AM »
Charging stations are going to need accompanying motels and restaurants.

Pretty much. EV ranges have improved significantly over the past 10-15 years, but the improvement was from commute distances to very moderate distance trips. Putting it practical terms of my activities, some EVs might get me from my home in west San Jose to this running event between Vacaville and Fairfield, https://brazenracing.com/brazengoonies/ , and back on a single charge, and some might not. Besides the distance, there is a significant climb between Milpitas and Sunol. As for trips longer than a couple hundred miles or a longer multi-day trip, routes and stops would have to be planned around charger locations and the type of charger. Gas-fueled cars need to be refueled, but stations are easy to fins, and a fill-up takes 10-15 minutes, +/- a trip to the restroom, not 1/2 - 8 hours.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 10:12:19 AM »
Pretty much. EV ranges have improved significantly over the past 10-15 years, but the improvement was from commute distances to very moderate distance trips. Putting it practical terms of my activities, some EVs might get me from my home in west San Jose to this running event between Vacaville and Fairfield, https://brazenracing.com/brazengoonies/ , and back on a single charge, and some might not. Besides the distance, there is a significant climb between Milpitas and Sunol. As for trips longer than a couple hundred miles or a longer multi-day trip, routes and stops would have to be planned around charger locations and the type of charger. Gas-fueled cars need to be refueled, but stations are easy to fins, and a fill-up takes 10-15 minutes, +/- a trip to the restroom, not 1/2 - 8 hours.

It's even quicker than that. Fill ups might take 10-15 minutes for trucks with big or dual tanks, but most modern cars hold between 10 and 16 gallons. For those, swiping the card filling the tank from 1/4 or 1/8 tank (which means there is still two gallons in the tank give or take) takes no more than three to five minutes, unless the pump you're at is pumping slow.

I half expect...that dems/left will sneak into law somehow...flowrate restrictions on fuel distribution which will change refuelling from what amounts to a quick spontaneous act, to one which will need to be planned for in terms of time, as another means altering the playing field so EVs can appear to compete.

That's how they roll.   

"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 10:39:49 AM »
For those with a little time on their hands and an interest in all things related to EV and Gasoline or Diesel engines I recommend the following:

https://www.facebook.com/EngineeringExplained/videos/?ref=page_internal

or

https://www.youtube.com/user/EngineeringExplained

I won't comment on Mobile 1  sponsorship but this guy does a good job of presenting.

< watch this space for coming distractions >