Author Topic: NPR reporter says 'leading theory' on SCOTUS leak is conservative clerk  (Read 301 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member kpete (69,071 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216675257

NPR reporter says 'leading theory' on SCOTUS leak is conservative clerk

A clerk for a conservative justice is the “leading theory” amid intense speculation about who released a draft opinion authored by Justice Samuel Alito showing the court is set to overturn Roe v. Wade, according to legal affairs correspondent Nina Totenberg of NPR.

Totenberg said on ABC’s “This Week” that the prevailing theory is that a conservative clerk released the decision in an attempt to lock in the five justices who voted to support overturning Roe as Chief Justice John Roberts reportedly attempts to pull his colleagues toward a more moderate position.

“That has never, ever occurred before,” Totenberg said of the leak. “That could only, in all likelihood, have come from a justice — that I think is less likely — or perhaps one of the clerks.”

“The only one that makes sense is it came from somebody who was afraid that this majority might not hold,” she added.

except, of course... without the leak there wouldn't be any fear of the vote changing as there would be no pressure to change... because no one knew about it.

:whatever:

Star Member CrispyQ (31,798 posts)

1. I'm still betting it's Ginni.

At any rate, if it is a conservative who leaked, we'll never find out for sure, but if it's a lib who leaked, that info will be released.

:thatsright:

Star Member onenote (37,057 posts)

5. I'm not convinced by the "lock in the conservatives" theory.

What difference would it make? Whether or not one or more of the conservatives is convinced by Roberts to pull back from overturning Roe, Alito will still issue his opinion and several justices will join it. What difference will it make that they may have initially voted to go further but then backed away? It happens all the time in the drafting of Supreme Court opinions.

To me, someone wanting to expose how radical the position is of those favoring overturning Roe seems like a more probable candidate for leaking it.

Star Member Hoyt (54,303 posts)

6. Yep. I don't buy the "lock in conservatives" theory either. Anyone favoring Alito's Middle Ages view would likely keep their heads down, mouths shut, and hope it sails through to final version. Seems more likely someone shocked by the whole approach seems, assuming it's not just someone wanting the be then next Annonymous, Snowden, etc.

But, nowadays who knows what is going on or the rationale behind things.

Star Member underpants (169,180 posts)

7. If Totenberg reported it I believe it

She’s been reporting for too long to stick her neck out.

The unified distracting projection from the right was telling.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Star Member nuxvomica (10,506 posts)

9. The leak also serves to make the opinion appear more grounded

There's a lot of speculation about this opinion and what it's ramifications are but what is missing from the conversation are the dissents by Alito's peers. This is a very poorly researched and bone-headed piece of judicial writing, so badly thought out the author feels compelled to include a disclaimer that it doesn't vacate other rights despite exploding the right of privacy so fundamental to other rights. Now imagine how devastating the dissents are likely to be? They would probably pick apart the logic, reasoning and citations in this opinion mercilessly. But we don't get to see those dissents so Alito's opinion gets to have a one-sided conversation without any peer review, giving it a respectability it could not have under normal circumstances. I bet many people think the entire court is on-board. This is similar to Barr's "summarizing" the Mueller Report to have its conclusions skewed in the public's mindset. I think this is what's meant by "catapulting the propaganda."

FM123 (9,454 posts)

10. Could be....

I guess they didn't want one of the conservative justices to pull a "John Roberts" at the last minute like he did with Obamacare.

:yawn:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

A conservative clerk would leak so as to bring public and media outrage against conservative justices, bring Pro-Abortion activists to protest in front of conservative justices' homes, invite death threats against conservative justices and their families, and get Pro-Abortion activists to disrupt church services and vandalize churches?

Yeah, I can see how that would make sense to NPR journalist-partisans an DUpipo.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Because we know how honest and truthful liberal reporters are.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline jukin

NPR is communist propaganda.

That. Is. All.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
except, of course... without the leak there wouldn't be any fear of the vote changing as there would be no pressure to change... because no one knew about it.

:thatsright:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

:yawn:

Here is how you know it's NOT a conservative:

- IF it was a conservative, they'd have already been outed and it would be a 24/7/365 media news item

- IF it was a liberal their identity will be protected and the story will slowly die.

Believe me, people know who the leaker is, including those that have the power to order something like that. Jugears, Hitlary and others come to mind including the FIB.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Of course "leading NPR Reporter" Nina Totenberg probably thought that President Trump colluded with Russia, the Hunter Biden laptop from hell was Russian disinformation, Kyle Rittenhouse killed three unarmed black protesters in Kenosha, the Chinese Wuhan Red Death originated in a wet market, etc., etc., etc.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline ADsOutburst

The leading theory among...? They don't even say "sources"?

Offline Drafe Hoblin

The lack of voter-interest in the draft-opinion proves the leak came from the left.  They screwed-up on the timing.  Republicans don't screw-up on things like timing... or misjudging the public-discourse.