Author Topic: Oh lord! I'm watching the Handmaid's Tale TV series.  (Read 569 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Oh lord! I'm watching the Handmaid's Tale TV series.
« on: May 06, 2022, 08:29:34 AM »
Star Member vlyons (8,290 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216665877

I read the book years ago. But good grief, this female dystopian view of what can happen when a Christo-Fascist cult takes over society is frightening! So many parallels to what we see today. An underlying theme is: we didn't pay attention. The RW nutjobs were there all along, saying women should give up careers and stay home to raise babies. Demonizing LGBT as gender traitors. Clitorectomies for lesbians to remove the "little problem." Organizing to overthrow the gov by a coup. It was there all along, and we just didn't pay attention. If you haven't done so already, read the book or watch the TV series.

:mental:

Star Member hlthe2b (91,291 posts)

1. I have avoided watching it since its first season--too close to the truth of what might lie ahead...

Now that it all but parallels our potential future and even predicts it, I'm not sure I can stand it ever. (I have read the book and I will be following Margaret Atwood's continuing comments/thoughts).

As a life-long pacifist, I'm struggling against seeing this as a fight based on self-defense. I hope and sincerely counsel that we can keep protests peaceful, but it is the other side who has murdered abortion doctors, placed bombs and threatened those merely trying to avail themselves of their constitutional rights. The future looks far darker than a week ago and it has been darkening for a decade.

Karma13612 (3,570 posts)

2. Hubby and I got thru the first season

And I think season 2 part way. We just couldn’t stomach any more.

Yea, there is a small part of me that is actually quite happy we live about a half hour from the Canadian border in Northern New York. I know the winters are cold and we normally rent in North Carolina for the winter, but if things got really bad, I would cancel NC and head for Ontario.

And the border is now open……..lets hope it stays that way. I’m past my fertile years (68), but I wouldn’t last long on the farm where they send the older women.

Under his eye…

Star Member Roisin Ni Fiachra (2,069 posts)

5. Read the book twice, and have watched the entire series to date.

I've always known that Republicans are Nazis waiting to happen.

A person has to have something fundamentally very, very wrong with them, ethically and morally, if they voluntarily join the Republican party, which does nothing but evil to humankind and all life on the planet.

Ferrets are Cool (16,101 posts)

7. I just can't force myself to watch it. It will depress me too damn much.

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: Oh lord! I'm watching the Handmaid's Tale TV series.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 09:51:05 AM »
Oy! Abortion was illegal in most US states for almost 200 years. And all those "Christo-Fascist cultists" never once attempted to create a dystopian Handmaid's Tale or Stepford Wives regime. Why is that?

The RW nutjobs were there all along, saying women should give up careers and stay home to raise babies 1.. Demonizing LGBT as gender traitors 2.. Clitorectomies for lesbians 3. to remove the "little problem." Organizing to overthrow the gov by a coup 4..

1. Yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhh ......... reality is much more complex. My Mom did give up her career and raise me ... and, for all her faults, did a vastly better job than any daycare could have. OTOH, when our firstborn came around, my becoming a stay-at-home Dad was an option we considered. As I posted in another thread, we know several families who adopted children not aborted, including one family who adopted 5 children from a woman who continued her "career" of being a literal crack whore. Reality is always vastly more complex than stereotypes.

2. From what odoriferous bodily orifice did that bit of nonsense come?

3. From what odoriferous bodily orifice did that bit of nonsense come? Does Star Moron vlyons realize that Christians are not the religious group than practices Female Genital Mutilation?

4. ASSuming that is an allusion to the 1/6 Capitol riot, how exactly would a few hundred fools who had no fire arms have overthrown the US government?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 10:17:04 AM »
The Handmaid's Tale is a work of fiction, not based on a true story. Just leftist dystopian fears. Perhaps you should realize that.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 11:53:42 AM »
The Handmaid's Tale is a work of fiction, not based on a true story. Just leftist dystopian fears. Perhaps you should realize that.

Star Member vlyons (8,290 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216665877

I read the book years ago. But good grief, this female dystopian view of what can happen when a Christo-Fascist cult takes over society is frightening! So many parallels to what we see today. An underlying theme is: we didn't pay attention. The RW nutjobs were there all along, saying women should give up careers and stay home to raise babies. Demonizing LGBT as gender traitors. Clitorectomies for lesbians to remove the "little problem." Organizing to overthrow the gov by a coup. It was there all along, and we just didn't pay attention. If you haven't done so already, read the book or watch the TV series.

Don't know about complete fiction, the highlighted parts there resemble some Muslim countries.  But the DUmp wouldn't know or acknowledge such things, that would be islamophobic. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 02:23:19 PM »
Only libs can take hyperbolic fiction literature that was translated into an even more hyperbolic TV series and extrapolate that out to a possible reality and almost certain future.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 03:18:21 PM »
Don't know about complete fiction, the highlighted parts there resemble some Muslim countries.  But the DUmp wouldn't know or acknowledge such things, that would be islamophobic.

Point taken. Usually only Democrats foist such atrocities on the American public.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 03:38:10 PM »
I suppose the democrat party could pass a constitutional amendment if they want to add abortion to our constitution. 

That would be the proper way to fight this. :popcorn:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 05:08:25 PM »

yeah, that Canadian wrote it during the Reagan administration, never seen the series but read the book back in the day. It's dated, the premise of the book is just ridiculous - Masshole turns from a lefty citadel into a jackboot Christian (of course) theocracy in less than ten years, most women are infertile for some reason Maggie doesn't bother to explain. She could have at least made her main character (Offred?) at least somewhat likeable.

Can see why people like Ginny obsess over it, drama rules with this bunch. What I'd like to know is why her former farm redirects to a Chinese site? What happened to the alpacas and mini llamas?

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 05:50:40 PM »
Can see why people like Ginny obsess over it, drama rules with this bunch. What I'd like to know is why her former farm redirects to a Chinese site? What happened to the alpacas and mini llamas?

OK, this is a WAG, but, she didn't pay her DNS bill?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 07:11:06 PM »
I’ve watched the whole series so far, as I like dystopian tales.. The part they are willfully ignoring is that even though the story details a society that uses a few passages in the bible to subjugate women, they also apply everything in the liberal “bible” regarding all their other rules, such as environmentalism by force, the elimination of currency, forced equality amongst the common folks, public transportation, and the elimination of “wealth”. Government is 100% top-down. People are guilty until proven innocent.

This is just about everything they want.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 09:24:50 PM »
yeah, that Canadian wrote it during the Reagan administration, never seen the series but read the book back in the day. It's dated, the premise of the book is just ridiculous - Masshole turns from a lefty citadel into a jackboot Christian (of course) theocracy in less than ten years, most women are infertile for some reason Maggie doesn't bother to explain. She could have at least made her main character (Offred?) at least somewhat likeable.

Here are a few more allegories that perhaps DUmmies and their like-minded lefties probably think are real:

Shirley Jackson's short story: "The Lottery"
James Thurber's short story: "The Catbird Seat"
Animal House (movie) - Not a real story, but adapted from antics at a fraternity house
The Sopranos (TV series) - Based on stereotypes of mafia, but not on one specific family or story
Caddyshack (movie) - Again, not a real story
Forrest Gump (movie) - Nope, not real

One can learn lessons and think about situations but realize how ridiculous they are. And often these tales are entertaining and thought provoking.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 03:54:23 AM »
What I find amusing about a Handmaid's Tale, is how whenever a bunch of chicks wearing red is supposed to make me feel guilty.

Unrepentant am I.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2022, 04:14:12 AM »
What I find amusing about a Handmaid's Tale, is how whenever a bunch of chicks wearing red is supposed to make me feel guilty.

Unrepentant am I.
Wait wait wait...red lingerie? That is a guilt I will happily bear
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline jukin

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2022, 04:24:12 PM »
I'm getting a sense of deja vu. A TV series where an unrealistic democrat president does all the right things.. It is all bullshit not based in any sort of reality but millions of useful idiot democrats in the 75-90 IQ range thing it is really happening.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2022, 08:36:19 PM »
In the world of The Handmaiden’s Tale, collectivism is celebrated over the individual. Collectivism is associated with the left, not the right. Another primitive fail.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 08:49:13 AM »
I would have thought Brave New World would be DU-folks' favorite dystopian story: everything collectivized, easily available consequence-free sex, easily available recreational drugs, ordinary people subservient to the elite ... you know, the life they wish they had.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 05:22:15 PM »
I would have thought Brave New World would be DU-folks' favorite dystopian story: everything collectivized, easily available consequence-free sex, easily available recreational drugs, ordinary people subservient to the elite ... you know, the life they wish they had.

"Fahrenheit 451" or "A Clockwork Orange" are a couple of others that come to mind.