Author Topic: Doom posting is voter suppression.  (Read 408 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Doom posting is voter suppression.
« on: October 23, 2021, 08:57:39 AM »
Star Member tenderfoot (6,261 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215975225

:rotf:

Star Member Hoyt (50,680 posts)

1. Definitely. Although there is some incentive to GOTV when it's close or cost

of losing — because of complacency— is too high. The latter is often the case, nowadays.

Vote, we Win.

Star Member Silent3 (11,431 posts)

2. Has that ever been empirically validated?

I certainly hear a lot of "concern" expressed over saying anything that might be discouraging, but I don't know if it's backed by evidence or not.

Star Member NJCher (27,663 posts)

4. Totally

It boggles the mind how negative some are.

“He’ll never be prosecuted.” Why not just say you are a cynic beaten down by life and let it go at that?

But no, they have to express their negative thoughts in the form of predictions. I often ask how qualified they are to be a psychic.

Often enough, it’s the same ones all the time.

Star Member Kaleva (28,580 posts)

6. I don't think many are as doomy as they claim to be by their lack of action.

Last edited Sat Oct 23, 2021, 07:06 AM - Edit history (1)

If I really thought that our democracy was going to be taken over by fascists, I'd be off the internet. as far as discussing politics and current events is concerned, and gone to ground so to speak. I wouldn't leaving evidence on the internet that I was a "Commie" and in the real world, I'd keep my opinions to myself. I'd do the same thing if I seriously thought there was a civil war coming.

Leaving the country isn't an option as my wife wouldn't go because of family. Besides, we also don't have the resources to emigrate to a 1st world nation and those we could afford to live in have some serious negatives. It'd be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

It's possible some truly think our government is going to be overthrown or a civil war will happen but they conclude that the impact on their real world lives will be negligible so there is no reason to change their behavior in order to prepare.

In the meantime, I vote in every election and donate to candidates when I can. Actions I've done for decades.

Star Member uponit7771 (79,110 posts)

5. Facts are not voter suppression, you can't out organize vote denial and nullification laws and

... the fact that only 64% of democrats believe that is a problem is ... a problem.

Star Member malaise (237,295 posts)

7. Precisely

and so is giving the ReTHUG loonies free coverage

Star Member Scrivener7 (38,774 posts)

8. People told me I was a gruesome doom poster and had

Stockholm Syndrome when I posted that we would have a lot more than the 70,000 deaths from covid that were projected at the time.

Sometimes one person's "doom post" is another's "observation of obvious facts."

betsuni (17,789 posts)

10. It is.

Doom message: Democrats control the government but don't get anything done because they don't want to. Both sides. Don't vote.

At least these days, for a refreshing change, there are two actual names for the "corporate Dems," "neoliberals," "beholden to Big ___" "corrupt" "establishment" attacks. Asking for names for these attacks on the whole party never used to get answers. Finally, two names!

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Doom posting is voter suppression.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 09:06:59 AM »

The first amendment says hello
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 09:44:03 AM »
Quote from:
Kaleva

If I really thought that our democracy was going to be taken over by fascists, I'd be off the internet. as far as discussing politics and current events is concerned, and gone to ground so to speak. I wouldn't leaving evidence on the internet that I was a "Commie" and in the real world, I'd keep my opinions to myself. I'd do the same thing if I seriously thought there was a civil war coming.

It's possible some truly think our government is going to be overthrown or a civil war will happen but they conclude that the impact on their real world lives will be negligible so there is no reason to change their behavior in order to prepare.

The best thing you and your fellow leftists could do would just be to shut up for the sake of shutting up. You are correct that conservatives are not fascists, but you leftists are full on kooks. It would be better for the country, the planet, yea even the universe if you dolts would just sit there and appear stupid rather than open your mouths and remove all doubt.

Unfortunately for all decent and civilized people, you nitwits aren’t bright enough to follow the priceless advice I just gave you.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 05:50:27 PM »

There is truth in this.  I know more than one person who hadn't voted in decades, voted for Trump twice but is not planning on voting in November 2022.  "It's all fixed.  What's the point. We're never gonna win another election." is their mindset and I haven't been able to talk them out of it.
Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 07:17:17 AM »
There is truth in this.  I know more than one person who hadn't voted in decades, voted for Trump twice but is not planning on voting in November 2022.  "It's all fixed.  What's the point. We're never gonna win another election." is their mindset and I haven't been able to talk them out of it.
How many bloated government agencies were closed under Trump? The entire GDP of an entire year was spent on covid stimulus. We cofunded covid creation  after the 2016 election.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Delmar

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 09:03:31 AM »
Response to tenderfoot (Original post)Sat Oct 23, 2021, 01:27 PM
Star Member UTUSN (61,027 posts)
15. An example today: An a-hole Matt LEWIS from Daily Beast

First thing this A.M. was a detestable headline about BIDEN. I won't link it here. I'd never heard of "Matt LEWIS." It was under Yahoo News, which gave the impression of being a News item, whereas it turned out to be a Wingnut Opinion piece of crap.

The *impact* of just the headline is devastating/demoralizing. Most of those who see it don't Google or pursue to find out its slant.

This must be the headline that this shitgibbon is wailing about.

Every Day, Biden Smells Like More of a Loser
Matt Lewis
Fri, October 22, 2021, 10:36 PM·5 min read

With a hint of confusion in his eyes and a whiff of failure in the air around him, Joe Biden is watching his approval ratings continue to plummet to the point where just 42 percent of Americans approve of his job performance.
https://news.yahoo.com/every-day-biden-smells-more-033653915.html

A hint of confusion and a whiff of failure?  Lewis is going pretty easy on Sleepy Joe the Shit Midas pResident--hopelessly confused and stench of failure would be more accurate.

But I can understand how hearing even small doses of the truth could be devastating and demoralizing to a primitive.

Let's go Brandon!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 09:16:22 AM by Delmar »
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 06:01:49 AM »
Any excuse to put someone up against the wall.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 06:43:58 AM »
Any excuse to put someone up against the wall.

It's how they keep from thinking about how impotent and irrelavent they are.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus