Author Topic: Incarcerate Steve Bannon  (Read 239 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Incarcerate Steve Bannon
« on: October 19, 2021, 07:02:06 PM »
H2O Man (66,623 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215962902

Incarcerate Steve Bannon

One of the most interesting and important discussions going on in this country has to do with if the Department of Justice will prosecute those ignoring subpoenas from the Congressional Committee investigating the January 6 insurrection. I was pleased to hear President Biden say that they will prosecute. This is a good thing, as prosecuting people like Steve Bannon is essential.

Yesterday, my little sister contacted me about this. She had read where some people were expressing doubt that Attorney General Merrick Garland would pursue the criminal referrals. She asked me about the process -- both the history and how it might unfold in the current situation. I said I wanted to look up some information on the history before the Committee votes on Tuesday to bring it to the full House.

A short time later, my little sister told me that she had read a "tweet" by Jill Wine-Banks that gave her confidence. I noted that Jill is brilliant, and always an important source of accurate information. While I've seen others express pretty much the same thing, I put a lot of trust in the Watergate Girl's opinion.

At the same time, I know that some in the media will try to add drama to what is happening, when no more drama need be added. A Department of Justice official says that the DOJ will evaluate any referral, and decide to either pursue it or not. In a very real sense, he was saying the correct thing -- a president should not influence DOJ policy on legal matters. Trump was correctly attacked for doing exactly that.

Apparently, Rep. Ted Lieu expressed some frustration that the DOJ and justice system is moving slowly on action against those defying subpoenas. But this is not a "controversy" that some media attempted to portray. It goes to the full House for a vote, before sending the referral to the DOJ. Steve Bannon's will be the first actual referral to the current DOJ. We all recognize that the Trump DOJ was corrupt, likely criminally so in several instances. But it's a different playing field for Bannon, with no Trump to pardon him.

Rep. Lieu discussed proposals to increase Congress's ability to enforce subpoenas without involving either of the other branches of the federal government. A person can agree or disagree with parts or all of the proposals he spoke of. In evaluating such things, one should keep in mind that there are both positive and negative potentials with such changes -- and with not changing.

Since the issue of people failing to honor their legal duty to appear before the committees that haved subpoenaed them during the last administration, and at the start of this one, it should concern all of us. As citizens who recognize that our opposition wants to deny us our rights -- starting with the right to vote and have all votes counted -- we should be informed about the process that begins to unfold tomorrow. I am sure that there are others here who are better informed than me, but I still wanted to share a link to a site I find helpful:

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/misc/RL34097.pdf

It is a report on by legislative attorney Todd Garvey, that provides a good amount of information. Garvey has served in that position in the American Law Division of the Congressional Research Division since 2009. I found some of the most important and interesting information started on page 34. Most of the past cases involve a conflict between Congress and the Executive branch, for only an administration can claim executive privilege.

The Biden administration is not attempting to cover-up for the Trump cult. Donald Trump has no legal status that allows for executive privilege. Steve Bannon was not part of the administration at the time in question. Not to mention that claims of executive privilege tend to admit that the January 6 insurrection was a White House operation.

:yawn:

Star Member Silent3 (11,407 posts)

2. Incinerate Steve Bannon

There, I fixed that for you.

Star Member Saoirse9 (3,191 posts)

6. I hope this will give people hope

It did me. I can’t see any scenario that would allow Garland to sidestep this referral.

But what about Bannon waiting out the clock? Dragging this out until the last possible moment?

Star Member ripcord (2,297 posts)

8. He will probably get away with it

The Fast and Furious case where Holder refused a Congressional subpoena wasn't settled for 7 years and Trump's cronies know how to drag things out.

Star Member empedocles (13,303 posts)

17. A political trial can be a very complicated trial

A major consideration in prosecutions for the Dems, is to open with a very clear win. Dems, interested in politics, may see bannon as an obvious crook, so just get on with jailing bannon.

It is important that the general, less interested, public see the prosecution as necessary, not just a mostly political move.

This was very well done with the prosecution of trumper manafort. The prosecution was narrow, cut and dried, involved flat numbers, and limited, [to the dismay of aggressive Dems at the time] - but resulted in a clear guilty verdict won by the prosecution. Pretty well accepted by the general public.

Bannon will very likely be prosecuted, but, hopefully imo, first a smaller bananna in the crooked bunch.

Star Member YoshidaYui (36,259 posts)

18. WHAT ever the penalty for Insurrection

what ever the PRISON time..give it to him. The Full extend of the law. Throw his ass in prison and throw away the damn key.

Star Member Tommymac (5,029 posts)

22. Bannon is continuing to instigate an Insurrection by his most recent comments.

He needs to suffer the full weight of the Law ASAP.

If he does not appear before the Committee he needs to be arrested and charged with Incitement to Insurrection under existing Law.

Thanks for posting this.

P.S. Make him take a shower and put on clean underwear too.

H2O Man (66,623 posts)

41. Thank you!

Exactly -- Bannon thinks that there will be an uncivil war, in which the white nationalists will obtain total control. Thus, while he looks like Otis from the Andy Griffith Show, he thinks more like Charlie Manson. He has moral rabies.

Bev54 (4,199 posts)

26. I really hope they lock him up until his trial, after all he has some rich friends

with yachts that can sail him away.

H2O Man (66,623 posts)

48. You know?

Bannon, as a private citizen, was coordinating between the White House and mercenaries -- current and former military and law enforcement attempting to overthrow our government -- and he pretends he thinks that is privileged. That would extend an executive branch privilege to a past administration -- something definitely not found in Constitutional Law. It can only backfire.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Star Member panader0 (23,181 posts)

45. Yes, yes and yes.

One of my concerns is will the full House have to vote on every one of these scumbags who will
resist a subpoena? I understand that the DoJ, and justice departments in general, have specific
protocols for moving ahead, but are all those truly needed? Justice delayed is justice denied.
And nine and a half months since 1/6 seems delayed to me. By the time all of this moves forward,
it is history already. As many DUers that have a greater knowledge of the law have said here, patience
is required. I'm running low on patience. Obviously, the repub strategy is to delay and with trump's case
going to the same Supreme Court that he poisoned, this process could take literally years. That is
unacceptable. The midterms will have come and gone by then.
The few glimmers of hope seem to not be enough to shine the necessary light.

Star Member Mr.Bill (13,995 posts)

56. If Bannon is arrested and charged with a crime

he should be held without bail because he has already shown he will not show up in court.

Star Member Texaswitchy (1,580 posts)

60. What are Democrats waiting for?.

It is now or never time.

This is reason my Grandkids are in Canada now.
Their Mom feared for their future here.

So some spine Democrats.

:thatsright:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: Incarcerate Steve Bannon
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 07:09:34 PM »
Only 24 business hours........

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

Re: Incarcerate Steve Bannon
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 07:47:36 PM »
 :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:  :jerkit:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.