Author Topic: Supreme Court reform study panel: 'considerable' risks to court expansion  (Read 363 times)

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
Biden's Supreme Court reform study panel notes 'considerable' risks to court expansion
Source: The Hill

A bipartisan commission on Thursday said there are “considerable” risks to expanding the number of justices on the Supreme Court, including the potential to undermine the high court’s legitimacy. President Biden had ordered the panel to study potential reforms to the high court and it released preliminary findings Thursday.

Although the commission did not take positions on the proposals featured in Thursday’s materials, opting instead to highlight potential drawbacks and advantages, the group’s cautionary note about adding justices to the bench stood out.

“The risks of Court expansion are considerable, including that it could undermine the very goal of some of its proponents of restoring the Court’s legitimacy. Recent polls suggest that a majority of the public does not support Court expansion,” a draft document released by the White House on Thursday states. “And as even some supporters of Court expansion acknowledged during the Commission’s public hearings, the reform—at least if it were done in the near term and all at once—would be perceived by many as a partisan maneuver.”

“We have not sought to determine whether any particular perspective on the confirmation process or on the Court’s composition today is ‘correct,’” the document states. “But the more important point is that different segments of the public and the legal and academic communities understand the determinants and likely consequences of the Court’s current composition differently, and any lawmaker contemplating Supreme Court reform should be aware that the pursuit of immediate Court expansion would involve taking a position in a partisan contest in which opinion is deeply divided.”

Read more: https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/576867-bidens-supreme-court-reform-study-panel-notes-considerable-risks-to

Panel to liberals: Pack fudge, not the Court

Any idiot could see where court expansion was headed and what the risks would be. Not sure why we needed a panel to figure that one out. Even so:

Star Member Comfortably_Numb (2,376 posts)
2. "Undermine the court's legitimacy"?? Seriously? They do not have a shred of legitimacy left.

A cabal of fascist dark money lackeys who do the bidding of their Federalist Society dark money funded corporate owners. The supreme court would be a joke, but there is nothing funny about its determination to subvert democracy, curtail the citizen’s right to seek redress in the courts, and disenfranchise groups that exist outside of their fundamentalist Catholic oppressive model. I spit on the radical right wing court.

Posts like this and the anxiety they reveal simply make my day.

Star Member BlueTsunami2018 (1,805 posts)
5. What does it matter? It's never going to happen.

Apparently, nothing is going to happen except fascist takeover. No voting rights, no infrastructure, no healthcare, nothing Joe ran on is going to go through. All because of the two greatest Dems of all time™️.

Yeah, even with Piss Wig gone, I’m at an all time low point. Bitterly disappointed.

You have 2/3 of the branches of government, zippy. Do something with it.

Star Member bucolic_frolic (26,964 posts)
6. How about just impeach the 2 stolen picks that McConnell finagled?

That wasn't partisan, was it?

On what grounds? Quia non similis is not a legal principle I am familiar with.

Star Member hay rick (5,812 posts)
18. The constitution needs to be a living, breathing, evolving document.

The "originalist" notion of omniscient founding fathers has been turned into a straitjacket for the democratic impulse to create a more just and equitable society. The ongoing failure to modify the obsolescent structure of our governing institutions increases the likelihood of violent, anarchic collapse of those institutions.

It IS a living document, you collectivist turd. It just takes more than your Veruca Salt act to change it.

NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Star Member Comfortably_Numb (2,376 posts)
2. "Undermine the court's legitimacy"?? Seriously? They do not have a shred of legitimacy left.

A cabal of fascist dark money lackeys who do the bidding of their Federalist Society dark money funded corporate owners. The supreme court would be a joke, but there is nothing funny about its determination to subvert democracy, curtail the citizen’s right to seek redress in the courts, and disenfranchise groups that exist outside of their fundamentalist Catholic oppressive model. I spit on the radical right wing court.

Which you would have no problem with if the ratio of judges were in your favor you ****ing hypocrit.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Delmar

Response to left-of-center2012 (Original post)Thu Oct 14, 2021, 09:11 PM
Star Member BlueTsunami2018 (1,805 posts)
5. What does it matter? It's never going to happen.

Apparently, nothing is going to happen except fascist takeover. No voting rights, no infrastructure, no healthcare, nothing Joe ran on is going to go through. All because of the two greatest Dems of all time™️.

Yeah, even with Piss Wig gone, I’m at an all time low point. Bitterly disappointed.
Might as well eat worms.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
bucolic_frolic (26,964 posts)
6. How about just impeach the 2 stolen picks that McConnell finagled?

That wasn't partisan, was it?

Good luck getting a super-majority for removal.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Old n Grumpy

democratic impulse to create a more just and equitable society

Meaning take from the producers and workers and give to the illegals and lazy welfare mooches. :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Mr Mannn

There are only 'considerable' risks when you have free and fair elections.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
There are only 'considerable' risks when you have free and fair elections.

Which is the very reason Dems are for it. They want none.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
The "originalist" notion of omniscient founding fathers has been turned into a straitjacket for the democratic impulse to create a more just and equitable society. The ongoing failure to modify the obsolescent structure of our governing institutions increases the likelihood of violent, anarchic collapse of those institutions.

Listen very closely, DUmbshit:

The "originalist" notion is the only correct way to interpret and apply the constitution and bill of rights, both of which were  intended to be a "straitjacket" against the worst impulses of those who embrace mob mentality, which assclowns like yourself like to cloak in warm fuzzy terms like 'democracy', the same way as you cloak your bad intentions behind "the democratic impulse to create a more just and equitable society."

Originalism would prevent the collapse of those institutions, and give them credibility. What you want will bring the end of constitutional America, which will bring about "violent, anarchic collapse" and conditions you can't even begin to imagine...but you can start with the fact that when the constitution, bill of rights, and our laws cease to protect your fellow man they'll cease to protect you too, along with those you vote for.

I speculate that a certain segment of society, probably several of them,  will see to it that the books beccome balanced if you and yours are stupid enough to try it and somehow succeed.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.