Author Topic: The 'Field Of Dreams' Game  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Drafe Hoblin

The 'Field Of Dreams' Game
« on: August 11, 2021, 05:28:48 PM »
in an Iowa-cornfield, between the Yankees and the White Sox. is set for tomorrow at 7PM eastern.

Full disclosure, I never saw the movie.  Partly because I didn't care for Costner at the time.  And partly because I'm not into emotionally-sappy baseball-films...  Especially when none of the networks ever bothered featuring Safe At Home, starring Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris, plus Casey Stengel, I think.  Legitimate heroes.

But I'll try to watch the game tomorrow.  Maybe for a traditional American reset and afterglow.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: The 'Field Of Dreams' Game
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 06:48:42 PM »
in an Iowa-cornfield, between the Yankees and the White Sox. is set for tomorrow at 7PM eastern.

Full disclosure, I never saw the movie.  Partly because I didn't care for Costner at the time.  And partly because I'm not into emotionally-sappy baseball-films...  Especially when none of the networks ever bothered featuring Safe At Home, starring Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris, plus Casey Stengel, I think.  Legitimate heroes.

But I'll try to watch the game tomorrow.  Maybe for a traditional American reset and afterglow.

Can't wait to see the game.  The movie is by no means a classic, but it does have some great resonance for anyone who has played catch with their dad (or for those with children, vice versa).

Even though this is taking place in my native state, it is nowhere near where I grew up.  Iowa is a lot bigger place than many folks realize.  And never traveled much in that part of the state (Northeastern Iowa).

Two very good teams this year, and the novelty value of it taking place should make it a lot of even casual baseball fans tune on the Fox Network (Not Fox News) tomorrow night.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 05:07:53 PM »
Heard yesterday that the home plate umpire tonight is an Iowa native, and graduated from the same high school that Uncle Ralphie did.  He is a regular Major League umpire, but they shuffled a couple of the umpiring crews so that a few native Iowans could participate tonight.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 10:23:11 AM »
Instant tradition.

Sensational...  Having the teams walk out of the corn-stalks, in full August foliage...  I can't think of a better intro.

Yeah, the umps were from Iowa... or a couple were.  And the intimate crowd-setting was really key to the Americana that FoxSports was going-for.  Everybody stood for The Anthem.  Everybody stayed vivacious.  Virtually no masks.  I still don't know if beer was available, but many people had 'Apple-Pie Hotdogs'... which looked like some sort of a relish.

The game was all you could ask for.  A 9-to-8 mini slugfest, with a potential game-winning homer in the top of the 9th to put the Yankees ahead... followed by the actual game-winning homer in the bottom of the 9th for the White Sox win.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new slang for a home-run will now have connotations like:  " That baby's headed for the corn! "

Bravo, guys.  Fabulous experience.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 11:29:55 AM »
We displayed the game on the 2 Jumbotrons at Angel stadium yesterday prior to the start of our game and it was well received. 

It was good time Americana that is a welcome escape from the daily polarized life we are living.  No kneeling, no protests, no arguing over politics, just good time enjoying the sport of baseball.   The MLB commissioner confirmed the game will return next year https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/08/12/mlb-field-of-dreams-game-iowa-2022-commissioner-rob-manfred/8116815002/

On August 22, the Angels and Cleveland Indians will play their game at Bowman Field in Williamsport, PA in conjunction with the Little League World series to allow Little League players a chance to interact with MLB players.  https://www.littleleague.org/news/mlb-little-league-classic-to-welcome-the-los-angeles-angels-and-cleveland-indians-to-williamsport-in-2021/

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 06:47:49 PM »
We displayed the game on the 2 Jumbotrons at Angel stadium yesterday prior to the start of our game and it was well received. 

It was good time Americana that is a welcome escape from the daily polarized life we are living.  No kneeling, no protests, no arguing over politics, just good time enjoying the sport of baseball.   The MLB commissioner confirmed the game will return next year https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/08/12/mlb-field-of-dreams-game-iowa-2022-commissioner-rob-manfred/8116815002/

On August 22, the Angels and Cleveland Indians will play their game at Bowman Field in Williamsport, PA in conjunction with the Little League World series to allow Little League players a chance to interact with MLB players.  https://www.littleleague.org/news/mlb-little-league-classic-to-welcome-the-los-angeles-angels-and-cleveland-indians-to-williamsport-in-2021/

Excellent, and pleased to hear it was well received by the fans.  Especially considering the Angels have been with the best player in baseball missing most of the season (Trout) and their big acquisition (Rendon) also being hobbled.  Shohei can't play every damn position, although he's fantastic.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 06:50:46 PM »
Instant tradition.

Sensational...  Having the teams walk out of the corn-stalks, in full August foliage...  I can't think of a better intro.

Yeah, the umps were from Iowa... or a couple were.  And the intimate crowd-setting was really key to the Americana that FoxSports was going-for.  Everybody stood for The Anthem.  Everybody stayed vivacious.  Virtually no masks.  I still don't know if beer was available, but many people had 'Apple-Pie Hotdogs'... which looked like some sort of a relish.

The game was all you could ask for.  A 9-to-8 mini slugfest, with a potential game-winning homer in the top of the 9th to put the Yankees ahead... followed by the actual game-winning homer in the bottom of the 9th for the White Sox win.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new slang for a home-run will now have connotations like:  " That baby's headed for the corn! "

Bravo, guys.  Fabulous experience.

Agreed, and nice post.  That was a wonderful showcase for the game of baseball.  If only MLB could do more things such as that, it might bring back those folks who are only casual fans.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 07:06:58 PM »
Excellent, and pleased to hear it was well received by the fans.  Especially considering the Angels have been with the best player in baseball missing most of the season (Trout) and their big acquisition (Rendon) also being hobbled.  Shohei can't play every damn position, although he's fantastic.

Trout is rumored to return sometime this season but it was just announced that Rendon will be out for the duration of 2021 for hip surgery

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline NJCardFan

• Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 05:38:45 PM »

Funny thing about that movie, which is one of my favorites BTW and mostly because of James Earl Jones who I'd pay to read a car's owners manual, but the protagonists are obviously hippy holdovers from the 60's and liberal to the bone, however, there are moments when they are really conservative in their thinking and Costner's performance, while not that great, isn't bad but James Earl Jones & Burt Lancaster and even though they got Joe Jackson wrong(he batted left but in this movie he batted right), Ray Liotta in his pre-Goodfellas performance isn't bad either. Watch it. It's a good popcorn movie.
Leftism Is A Bottomless Pit Of Absurdity

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 10:06:41 AM »
Funny thing about that movie, which is one of my favorites BTW and mostly because of James Earl Jones who I'd pay to read a car's owners manual, but the protagonists are obviously hippy holdovers from the 60's and liberal to the bone, however, there are moments when they are really conservative in their thinking and Costner's performance, while not that great, isn't bad but James Earl Jones & Burt Lancaster and even though they got Joe Jackson wrong(he batted left but in this movie he batted right), Ray Liotta in his pre-Goodfellas performance isn't bad either. Watch it. It's a good popcorn movie.

There are a dozen better baseball movies, but you're correct it is an entertaining movie. 

The guy who wrote the book on which the movie is based is/was a complete Shoeless Joe Jackson apologist who thinks he was railroaded when he was banned from baseball.  In addition to the batting from the wrong side, Costner kept telling his daughter that Jackson still batted .367 in the series and even hit a home run (rare in 1919) even though the White Sox threw the series.

All of that is true, but it has been forensically analyzed and Shoeless got most of his hits in the games where the Black Sox were allowed to win.  In all the games they lost, he was terrible.

The great baseball writer Bill James summed this up thusly (paraphrasing):

People who think Joe Jackson deserves to be in the Baseball Hall of Fame are the type that also are rooting for the cute murderer

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 04:45:16 PM »
There probably isn't a baseball-movie that I haven't cried a few tears over... and I don't cry.  It must've been a Hollywood sure-thing formula to make men tear-up.  Angels In The Outfield, Bang The Drum Slowly, The Natural, etc.