Author Topic: Palin and Pelosi  (Read 853 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Palin and Pelosi
« on: September 18, 2008, 06:56:17 PM »
The most interesting polarity between Nancy Pelosi and Sarah Palin has to do with their house-cleaning methodology. Nancy Pelosi’s rallying cry in the 2006 midterm elections was against what she referred to as the “Republican Congress of corruption,” and she famously declared that it was going to take a woman to “clean house.” Sarah Palin ran for the governorship of Alaska the same year on the same rallying cry against the slimy corruption in her own party, and a promise to take the government from the political fat cats and return it to the service of the people.

In 2006, Nancy Pelosi became the first woman speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives and the most powerful woman in American government. In that same year, Sarah Palin became the first woman governor of Alaska and its youngest ever.

Pelosi and Palin have both had the same 20 months on the people’s payroll in new positions of responsibility. Both promised to clean house.

But the differences between the actual fruits of their respective labors could not be more disparate.

Let’s have a little peek, shall we?

Within one week of election and the turnover of Congressional majority to Nancy Pelosi’s Democrats, she seemed to go back on her “clean-house” word by picking a fight over who would be her second in command. House Democrats wanted Steny Hoyer, who had a clean record; Nancy wanted John Murtha. This first indication of how she would use her new power caused even Time magazine to pose the question: “Did her support for a man who is notorious for slipping special-interest earmarks into spending bills prove that she didn’t really mean all that talk about cleaning up Congress? In other words, was Nancy Pelosi really up to the job?” Madame Pelosi lost that fight, but it was truly a harbinger of her house-cleaning priorities and the value of her word to the American people.

SNIP
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/palin-and-pelosi-worlds-apart-in-house-cleaning-methodology/

Go read it all.  :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle